What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not teetotal due to any addiction..:D. I just can't stand the smell of most alcoholics drinks, especially hard liquor... and even more the Taste.. I used to drink when I was younger but that was to keep up with my peers but I hated the taste....then I married a high functioning alcoholic, so even more I dislike alcohol... but I don't mind other people drinking around me, as long as they don't get abusive when they've had more than they can handle..

I go in the pub almost evertime I;m out , and get a soft drink or coffee.. completely surrounded by drinkers.. doesn't bother me at all.. it's just not for me..
@hollydolly

I, like you, don't like the taste of alcohol .. though I do have dubonnet red on lots of ice, once a year on my birthday. In my younger day, I always ordered a Coke while others drank beer (I'm allergic to beer). It never bothered me, nor did it bother my friends.

This afternoon I am hosting our small coffee hour which is three friends and me. My apartment is very small but I have it set up for using a walker so it is roomy enough for us. More than four people would be too much I think. Just coffee no goodies. I am looking forward to it. Can't wait to see what Rabbit thinks of that many people here at the same time!

I am working on making a vision board right now so hope to spend some time on that this morning. Then plan on cleaning the bunny cage at noon instead of two since that is the time my friends will be arriving. They have a long trip here..........two across the hall and one from upstairs! Ha ha.

Hope you all have a great day!

@hollydolly

I, like you, don't like the taste of alcohol .. though I do have dubonnet red on lots of ice, once a year on my birthday. In my younger day, I always ordered a Coke while others drank beer (I'm allergic to beer). It never bothered me, nor did it bother my friends.
yep..same here..coke.. or plain water with a dash of Blackcurrant juice is my go to drink in the pub.

Woke up early this morning, my 8 year old grandson is coming to spend the night, I've been thinking of things to keep him busy and entertained....a trip to the grocery store (I don't think he'll like my food..lol) and maybe out to eat later.
My grandson is 9. When he comes he loves to go to the store or a fast food place to pick what he wants for dinner and snacks. We curl up on the sofa and he gets to choose (for the most part) what we watch. It is always a great time! Have fun, we don't have a lot of time at their age. Soon they won't think we hang the moon LOL

Last edited:
@OneEyedDiva
My shoulder still hurts and the PT progress slow but steady. I'm doing as much PT while at home, as I can. The problem for me is that it is very hard to see my progress...and I'm the type who needs that. Well, I keep doing what I'm supposed to do. Maybe they can measure my progress at PT next week, and give me some numbers to compare with. That might help.

My hand/wrist is coming along much better then my shoulder! I keep setting mini goals for myself....and I'm very determined to succeed!

Thank you for caring! 💗
You're welcome, of course.
Get Well Soon Pink Tulips.jpg

Still in a high heat pattern!! No rain in 55 days!!
Screenshot-2022-08-06-8-46-23-AM.png

Still in a high heat pattern!! No rain in 55 days!!
there's really no weeding to be done here because we've had no rain for weeks... so nothing aside from my potted plants are growing!!

In that sense it's been great not have had to mow the lawns every 2 weeks.. but everything is barren now...
Holly and Ken, I feel your pain. Am grateful for cooler nighttime temperatures.

weathers.jpg

Showery all day. Tried to get to grips with the wipers on Mrs.L's new car. Dependent on model, the wipers don't have an intermittent mode, but an automatic mode instead. They wipe the windscreen when it thinks it needs it. We chose this car because it had less technology than others, but it's still basically a bunch of computers with a wheel at each corner.

We have some roadworks going on in my road currently and the contractors have left traffic cones all along the road, to prevent traffic parking.. until they return on Monday, and I;ve just seen some guy.. never seen him before, try to steal three of them.

My windows are open upstairs, but my house is behind a huge tree... and he was on the opposite side of the road. I know it's not my property but I HATE thieves.. so I stood behind my Venetians and shouted ''OY! PUT THOSE DOWN YOU THIEF, YOU'RE ON CAMERA'' ..and it worked ! He looked up and down, right and left , to see where the voice was coming from.. I don't think he knew but he threw them down, and walked off!!

Today..I got the Ivy cut back which has grown a little bit above the brick shed roof... .. not as much as it would have if we'd had any rain..

Then I cut back the branches of a tree that was overhanging into my neighbours' garden.. .. then swept up all the dried leaves in the borders.. filled the whole Garden wheelie bin... so as long as I don't have to mow the lawn before next week.. I'll be fine , and won't need to put any grass in it... Still got a little bit of trimming to do, but I'll do that tomorrow..

I bought dinner rolls in bulk yesterday.. ( small ones).. so I bagged those up in portions of 3 and 4.. and just managed to get them in the larder freezer.. it's full up.. as is the chest freezer in the shed..

Last edited:
Today..I got the Ivy cut back which has grown a little bit above the brick shed roof... .. not as much as it would have if we'd had any rain..

Then I cut back the branches of a tree that was overhanging into my neighbours' garden.. .. then swept up all the dried leaves in the borders.. filled the whole Garden wheelie bin... so as long as I don't have to mow the lawn before next week.. I'll be fine , and won't need to put any grass in it... Still got a little bit of trimming to do, but I'll do that tomorrow..

I bought dinner rolls in bulk yesterday.. ( small ones).. so I bagged those up in portions of 3 and 4.. and just managed to get them in the larder freezer.. it's full up.. as is the chest freezer in the shed..

T
How's the diet going, Hols?

We have some roadworks going on in my road currently and the contractors have left traffic cones all along the road, to prevent traffic parking.. until they return on Monday, and I;ve just seen some guy.. never seen him before, try to steal three of them.

My windows are open upstairs, but my house is behind a huge tree... and he was on the opposite side of the road. I know it's not my property but I HATE thieves.. so I stood behind my Venetians and shouted ''OY! PUT THOSE DOWN YOU THIEF, YOU'RE ON CAMERA'' ..and it worked ! He looked up and down, right and left , to see where the voice was coming from.. I don't think he knew but he threw them down, and walked off!!
You go girl!! 🙌🏻

How's the diet going, Hols?
I'm being really good..surprising myself actually, thanks for asking..

Today I had a 1/2 a banana on a small brown slice of low calorie bread.. .. for breakfast..

1/2 way through the day I had a tiny packet of raisins.. and 3 grapes

Then for dinner tonight I had 3 paper thin slices of ham... a ladle full of Pilau Rice.. and a tomato/ mixed lettuce & Black grape salad with a teaspoon of honey mustard dressing.

Then a Sugar free jelly.. ( 10 calories in the whole thing)... :D

@hollydolly Apropos your diet...if you skip anything white, it'll work wonders. That would be, for instance, rice, potatoes, sugar, flour. For myself, I could skip rice, potatoes and flour, but sugar? Nope! There's that chocolate thing...
well.. no chocolate at all for me.. I've had bread but only one small slice of low calorie bread .. with a banana for breakfast

No potatoes today.. had a couple of tiny ones yesterday ... no sugar.. that's a big thing for me.. because I eat a lot of stuff that's loaded with sugar.. so I've been very good at replacing that with grapes. and raisins ( I know I have to be careful with grapes and fruit generally )..

drinking fizzy diet drinks ..one because it's hot but they sate the hunger as well in between meals..

No pies or pastries.. .. no chocolate.. no butter ( I love butter).. no Mayo... no sweets.. no cake...

If The good lord was good, he would allow us all to lose weight if we just cut out the last few items.. :D

I volunteered with a puppy mill rescue group and had similar requirements and experiences. People couldn’t understand why there was a adoption fee and that the rescue spent more money on the dogs then the fees. Ours were very damaged dogs that were difficult to find good homes for.
I volunteered for a large, breed-specific, dog rescue as a volunteer for several years. We required home visits and charged for the dogs. Shelters would call the rescue and alert them to dogs that looked like our breed, and we would always take them. Puppy millers called too, and the deal was take them or they die, basically.

We required references and home visits because people lie to get a dog. When we required a fenced yard (always for mill dogs or dog-aggressive dogs), sometimes the yard would be partially fenced and, for example, large gaps would be filled with cardboard boxes. This is not adequate.

Home visits - sometimes the homes would not be suitable for a dog. Hoarders come to mind. Sometimes the home would have other pets in it we were not told about. You don't adopt out a dog to a home that has cats when they are cat aggressive. Sometimes the owners would have children under age 6 whom we were not told about. Our rescue would not adopt out a dog to people who had children under 6, because our dogs were very active and could knock over or hurt a young child by accident.

We also required that people come from wherever they lived to personally pick up the dog, so the rescue's owner could meet them and talk to them. By this stage, everyone had been thoroughly vetted. It was a national rescue, so people came from all over the US. The dogs were not allowed to fly home in planes.

The shelter was a non-profit organization, audited by the IRS every year with no problems. The expenses were very high, especially the vet bills, which often included surgery and or teeth cleaning. Every dog went to the vet to be checked out and brought up to date on vaccines. We had many dogs who were not our breed because the owner attracted strays, or a shelter thought they were our breed, but they weren't, or because we took in dogs that were breed mixed with ours.

So many times the owner would be driving down the road, see a stray, open her car door, and it would hop in. It was pretty amazing. The rescue would try to find the owner, but rarely did. Those dogs need fattening up and vet car, and had been abandoned.

The owner took in a blind dog the shelter was going to put down. It wasn't our breed. She also took in a dog destined for the meat market in Thailand, who wasn't our breed. She adopted both of them herself, and the dogs have thrived.

Not all rescues are alike, and the vast majority have solid reasons for their requirements.

I dug weeds until it got so hot that my head started sweating and the sweat was running into my eyes. That's how I knew it was time to stop. I left plenty for tomorrow when there will be more because they'll grow back overnight :mad: I'll be back out there as soon as the sun is up in the morning.

Off tomorrow, Tuesday, Thursday. I must say that a four-day work week is pleasant. I'm kinda hoping it stays that way! I might be singing a different tune on payday, but what the heck, we all know that I only work to wear out my old clothes, right? Wait. That's not right. We can wear jeans, but they have to be blue or black, and we have company-issued shirts and aprons so the only old clothes would be the jeans except that those aren't old.

Okay, I've thought of a different reason why I work...to pay for my new teeth😁.

Back to the four-day work week...the newbie told me on her first day that she has applied for a job at a hospital because it pays more and is closer to home. Home? Yes. She lives about 30 miles from the store.

Last week she had an auto accident and totaled her car. She owes more on it than it's worth so no new car for her because her income won't support a payment with the old balance rolled into the new loan.

If she doesn't get the hospital job, she says she thinks she'll have to transfer to a Kroger closer to home so that she can either take public transit or Uber.

Hospital job doesn't look very promising...she was supposed to hear more than a week ago, checked on Monday but no decision, checked again on Thursday and was told to call Friday afternoon. In any case, looks like she'll be gone soon...somewhere☹️ I don't work with her again until mid-week so unless she gives notice, I won't know.

After the weeding adventure, I showered and blued my hair before bopping off with DD to Kohl's so she could spend the Kohl's cash she forgot the other day. $50 for a bath sheet towel, a regular bath towel, a hand towel, but with Kohl's cash and a coupon, she waltzed out the door with towels for next to nothing in real money.

There's a Ross next door to Kohl's. What's a trip to Kohl's without stopping in at Ross "just to look"? She bought two metal sculpture wall hangings for a very good reason. She really, really liked them and knew darned well that if she didn't get them, she'd wish she had, then go back to buy them only to find out that they were gone. So she bought them. She's gonna hang them up where there are two other metal sculpture wall hangings that have been in the same spot for probably 20 years. She's tired of them. How much you wanna bet that DSIL doesn't notice? LOL!

What did I get? Nothing. My idea of a successful shopping trip is one when I don't spend any money💸💸

Both Kohl's and Ross had lots of Hallowe'en merchandise already. Lots of it👻🧙‍♀️🎃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back