What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an eye exam this morning. Prescription changed a little but not much. Been going the same place for 12 years or so. Good doc and nice staff.
Boy am I overdue for an eye appt… between COVID ‘waves’ and trying to match my in-town schedule with the optometrist, it hasn’t been coming together. And if I understand correctly, basic Medicare doesn’t cover eye-related stuff (?) so I better get cracking 🤓

Wow, the big move is coming right up, this week!
Congratulations on getting to this point, and will hope for everything to go as well as possible, for the transition time, for both of you!
Thank you! Everything will be fine, I think. My cousin and I are a lot alike, and he can't wait to spring me on his friends because of that. I think he's thinking of things like this:

We found a real casket with a real human skeleton at an antique fair, and he went back to buy it (think of the potential uses!) and someone else already had. Now he wants to buy a fake version of the same thing. I told him no -- real or nothing. I want to hang the skeleton in the coat closet for when guest some over and dress it up to sit in the living room on holidays. Oh, there are lots of pranks to play if only we had a real one!

It seems kind of weird that a real skeleton would be at an antiques fair, though. We examined it and it was real. Maybe it was an old one used for teaching purposes at a med school. Also, I'm kind of iffy on the respect part when dealing with a real skeleton. So maybe it's better we didn't get it.

I had mine earlier this year.. so I'm totally up-to-date .. is it 2 years eye exams there in the US as well as here ?
Since I'm an old crumbly and have had Posterior vitreous detachments (PVDs) in both eyes, I have annual eye checks. I've just made an appointment so hopefully that will be OK. My eyesight hasn't changed in years, but I chipped one lens in my glasses, so a new pair will be in order.

@WheatenLover lover, remind us on Monday night that you;re leaving Tuesday so we can send well wishes for the drive... and I do hope you get the Library job, however you might find that given the lack of local authority funds, they might want you to volunteer..
Oh. I figured it was a volunteer position. The Board of Trustees oversees the library, and there are only 3 of them. The librarian said they needed "new blood", but I'm going to have to curb my enthusiasm if I get appointed. I don't want to be seen as the outsider who came in and tried to change everything, because I don't. I just want to help. My payment should be, IMO, the reward of service to the community.

I'm also going to check if I can help at the elementary school with reading and math for kids who need help. That would really be fun! I taught my kids to read and so forth, when I home schooled.

Last edited:
Wheatenlover,, after I think about you question on low blood pressure,, don't recall being told what to do about it being low.

I figured because I hadn't been upright very long when I took it was the reason.

Just did another BP check 118/62.
I think best figures are 120/80,, so I'm low on the bottom number.

By the way which part of PA are you leaving ?
I'm in Northwestern PA.

Travel safe.

Thank you! Everything will be fine, I think. My cousin and I are a lot alike, and he can't wait to spring me on his friends because of that. I think he's thinking of things like this:

We found a real casket with a real human skeleton at an antique fair, and he went back to buy it (think of the potential uses!) and someone else already had. Now he wants to buy a fake version of the same thing. I told him no -- real or nothing. I want to hang the skeleton in the coat closet for when guest some over and dress it up to sit in the living room on holidays. Oh, there are lots of pranks to play if only we had a real one!

It seems kind of weird that a real skeleton would be at an antiques fair, though. We examined it and it was real. Maybe it was an old one used for teaching purposes at a med school. Also, I'm kind of iffy on the respect part when dealing with a real skeleton. So maybe it's better we didn't get it.
Unless the skeleton was a discard from a donated-to-science body and used for an anatomical model (wired and hinged parts), there are laws governing corpses. Perhaps it was Jimmy Hoffa?

In a feeble attempt to put together my family genealogy, I dug to the bottom of a bin of old photos and papers that hasn't been opened in decades and couldn't believe what I found: my school work from kindergarten through high school, a package labeled "Enrichment Program" that I'm afraid to open (that was a period in elementary school where they were trying to motivate me to achieve to my capacity and failed.) I found at least 100 drawings that I did, as well as the art work from my kids and grandkids. So, today I am feeling nostalgic and old - very old!

Wheatenlover,, after I think about you question on low blood pressure,, don't recall being told what to do about it being low.

I figured because I hadn't been upright very long when I took it was the reason.

I'm in Northwestern PA.

Travel safe.
As a doctor told me when I was in my twenties, "No one dies of low blood pressure." I miss those days of feeling faint - now, my BP is high and I have to take pills.

I'm in Northwestern PA.

Travel safe.
Western PA, north of Pittsburgh.

Here's some info from the Mayo Clinic on low blood pressure:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/symptoms-causes/syc-20355465

As a doctor told me when I was in my twenties, "No one dies of low blood pressure." I miss those days of feeling faint - now, my BP is high and I have to take pills.
They do, according to Mayo Clinic, but rarely.

"A sudden fall in blood pressure can be dangerous. A change of just 20 mm Hg — a drop from 110 mm Hg systolic to 90 mm Hg systolic, for example — can cause dizziness and fainting. And big drops, such as those caused by uncontrolled bleeding, severe infections or allergic reactions, can be life-threatening.

Yesterday I had to buy some plants. We were at the garden center, and they were all saying "pick me, pick me!" I couldn't leave without getting a few and felt just awful having to leave so many behind. I hope they all find good homes.

Actually only bought five, brought them home and decided they could wait until after work today to be planted. Rain was predicted but I didn't pay any attention because, well, rain is predicted every day and doesn't usually happen. Today, however, the rain turned out to be a frog-strangling gulley-washer!

When I got home from work, I could smell the rain coming. Took a few minutes to unwind with a cup of coffee, then headed out with said plants and a trowel. If I hadn't waited those "few minutes" to get started, I wouldn't have been soaked to the skin. Anyway, all five got planted. They seem to be happy so far.

About work: Supervisor is always off on Friday. When I got there this morning, the place was pretty messy, trash hadn't been taken out, broken down cardboard boxes hadn't been taken to the "squishing" machine for recycling, work table not cleaned and sanitized. Hm. What's going on? Looked like supervisor had to have left in a hurry.

He did. He was feeling sick and headed to the ER, was admitted, tested for everything from dandruff to athlete's foot, and determined to have a blood clot in one of his lungs. Eeeek! They're going to let him out in the morning if all goes well and he responds to treatment but can't come back to work for a few days...and that only providing he continues to respond to treatment.

Add to that our student who was scheduled to work yesterday and today has been out sick and isn't scheduled to work tomorrow. Sigh. I was alone today and will be alone again tomorrow. Student might be there on Sunday. Guess who doesn't get Sunday off? Or Monday?

I told the store manager that I know my limits so after 4-5 days in a row, I will probably have to cut my 6-hour shifts by an hour or two for the duration. Just because supervisor is willing to kill himself over the job, doesn't mean I am!☠️ Yanno, I'm all for pitching in when really needed and am glad to do it, but there's a whole store full of employees who'd give an arm and a leg to work in the bakery and have begged to do so. Send us a couple of them!

And then...our student is leaving (we don't yet know for sure when) to head to school. Classes start on the 12th, and he needs to get himself moved in before that. We'd hoped that he'd be with us at least through Labor Day. It's not looking good.

Someday when I leave this job, it will be the sixth (wait! maybe seventh) time I've retired. Unless, of course, I leave in a pine box...⚰️

ETA: Those plants I mentioned...all perennials, of course!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back