What Brand of Coffee ??

I gave up canned coffee from supermarkets a long time ago, Kroger or Maxwell House types, they started to smell like a can of chemicals to me, not coffee beans. Also tried their other various brand available that were more expensive, wasn't impressed. I started buying all my coffee from Sprouts natural food market, it's their brand but they have many different varieties to choose from. It's usually $9.99 lb, but is $6.99 or $7.99 when on sale.

I used to grind the beans at Sprouts, but didn't like sharing the grinder, people left beans in there and sometimes their machine was out of order. I bought a simple inexpensive home grinder from Bed, Bath and Beyond that has served me well. When I buy coffee it's usually on sale and I buy around 5 lbs. at a time, you can buy as much or as little as you want, doesn't have to be a full pound. Then, I grind at home one flavor at a time, keep the rest in the pantry in bean form.

Flavors we like are: Kona Blend, Gold Roast Kona, Costa Rican, Gold Roast Sumatran Mandheling, Jamaican Blue, etc.

At home, only Folgers Classic Roast. At restaurants, for breakfast, I love Waffle House's coffee and the rest are ok. And, unlike many Seniors who love coffee all day, neither of us drink coffee all day long. Only for breakfast. My 1/2 brother and wife's sister, drink it all day. If I did that, I'd be so, so wired/hyper. Also, only drink the caffeine type.

McCafe Columbian. I will use Chock Full of Nuts Columbian, if a big sale, or Melitta Columbian Supreme, but I prefer the McCafe brand. Surprisingly good, IMO.

I buy freshly roasted whole beans from a local roasting shop and grind what I need each morning. I suppose that I simply enjoy visiting this little shop since it seems like a step back into the 1960's and all the employees seem to be leftover hippies who didn't catch the train to modern times.

Being a little bit of a coffee snob, I enjoy talking "coffee" along with the aroma of the roasters. I go there every week and get treated like a minor coffee celebrity.

Ka'u Coffee Mill. When I lived on the Big Island, this was my "go to" coffee. I'd ride the Harley out to their little retail shop, buy some coffee and other goodies. Now that I'm back on the mainland, I've switched to K Cups, and mostly Green Mountain varieties

Ka'u Coffee Mill

Two of my favorites are Seattle's Best Post Alley & Starbucks Espresso. But, are you buying whole beans & grinding or are you buying already ground? The Seattle's Best is available for a great price from Walmart online. It's shipped free in 2 days if your order is at least $35.00.
Once coffee is ground, the oils in the beans starts turning rancid. If you want really good coffee, you have to brew right after grinding. I know manufacturers will vacuum seal containers of ground coffee. That's OK - until you open it. Then you'll get one decent brew - after that the air will start to turn the coffee bad.

Rosemarie says American's are "connoisseurs,"
Ney, were addicts, the Coffee Corner thread has got us nailed-drink it out of the pot.

Like French Vanilla (not sure of correct name) not to drink, rather to smell.
Stick with Folgers, Not very good, but it is always available.

Pecos post 'Old hippies that didn't catch the train to modern times...'
is to good a phrase not to steal

I'm thinking us old folks are missing the train,
have no idea what people are talking about when their discussing 'the latest thing.'

Ah, drown my ignorance in coffee, oh yea, coffee, coffee!

I'm a coffee lightweight .. will drink whatever - from President's Choice to Tim Horton's ground coffee. I'll even resort to instant if I have to.

My o/h buys Starbuck's dark roast beans and grinds by the cup with his Krups grinder.

My wife and I have different tastes in coffee. I like it black and much stronger, while my wife likes a lighter coffee with added creamers, etc. - we went with a nespresso single serve coffee maker, which keeps us both happy.

I think I was the happiest when we ground the beans ourselves.

Back