What candies do you remember from your childhood?

I can't think of the name, but they were like square flattened gumdrops in a tray, four or five flavors, one of which was licorice which I hated.

Grandpa and I would take a walk to the store, where he'd buy me a package of them. He'd eat the licorice one and I'd wolf down the rest.
Those were Chuckles. Licorice was not my favorite, but eventually, they started selling pack swith all licorice, so I guess I wasn't like a few others who also told me they bought the 5 pack for the one licorice Chuckle. There was cherry, lemon, lime, orange and licorice was always the middle one

Last edited:
I remember ribbons of paper like what comes out of the cash register with your list of purchases, but they were blank with a hard surface. There were rows colored candy that were shaped like half peas stuck to the paper, so you could just buy a ribbon an pick a piece of candy off when you needed it. Alternatively, you could just pick all of them off as fast as you could and gobble down a ribbon full in two minutes.
I called them dots, I don't know what the real name for them was. They were kind of icky anyway.

Oh and I loved chocolate and that continues to this day. Here in BC there is an old ghost town all set up for tourists and a lot of the old fashioned candies are sold there. I bought some Necco wafers the last time we were there.

Last edited:
Those were Chuckles. Licorice was not my favorite, but eventually, they started selling pack with all licorice, so I guess I wasn't like a few others who also told me they bought the 5 back for the one licorice Chuckle. There was cherry, lemon, lime, orange and licorice was always the middle one
Oh yeah, Chuckles!

iu

iu

I called them dots, I don't know what the real name for them was. They were kind of icky anyway.
I think the big part of them was pulling the pieces off the paper. You're right the dots were not that satisfying. The paper was probably worth more than the sugar.

Those were Chuckles. Licorice was not my favorite, but eventually, they started selling pack with all licorice, so I guess I wasn't like a few others who also told me they bought the 5 back for the one licorice Chuckle. There was cherry, lemon, lime, orange and licorice was always the middle one

Chuckles! That's it! Thanks, Dave.

Another candy memory from childhood was visiting the old lady relatives when we'd go to Virginia in the summers.

They'd always have a crystal candy dish of something disgusting like butterscotch hard candy or an unidentified flavor sitting on the coffee table and they'd say, "You're welcome to take one, dear."

Unfortunately, even if you DID want one, you couldn't take it because the whole bunch was welded together by a combination of humidity and age and it would have taken an ice pick (or a jackhammer) to get it loose.

And, quite often, there was a hefty layer of dust on them. In addition, there was always the suspicion that Mitzi, the elderly and wheezing cocker spaniel or Bootsie, the elderly and perpetually-shedding Persian cat, had been licking them.

So, it was always better to come up with a plausible excuse for abstaining from the candy.

These were the worst! Akin to those conversation hearts at Valentine's Day - just flavored hard powdered sugar in disk shape. 🤢

View attachment 287096

To play Necco Routlette, up in the mountains on a trail, the wrapper cylinder has to be covered. Then each person in a group of ws gets to in rotation eyes looking away, grab a wafer from the top of the wrapper stack, move it to one's mouth, and enjoy tasting and eating the next Necco. Then can vocally guess which flavor they think they are eating, the laughing others of course saw . But if it is a favorite chocolate Necco, you get to enjoy eating the next TWO too! For added bonus car camping, a micro sip of wine can be added.

Last edited:
Not from my childhood, but I remember Reggie Bars - named after the famous baseball player, Reggie Jackson. I liked them - chocolate covered caramel and peanuts. I don't think they were on the market that long.

View attachment 287249
That's a shame! What's not to like about chocolate covered caramel and peanuts???? Sounds yummy!

Back