What Changes If Any, In Your Living Quarters Would You Make If You Could Afford To?

I'd replace all the carpeting with lovely hardwood. And fence in the backyard and put in a hot tub.
I'd love a hot tub as well, even in Florida. I'm not the only one who thinks I may be cold-blooded. I'm like the opposite of a vampire in regards to sunlight.

I would lower the ceiling. I live in a Victorian building and the ceiling is so high, there's room for another floor up there! I can't reach to clean the windows, or replace the light bulbs.

This apartment, a co-op, has not been renovated since it was built in 1953. As you can imagine, there is so much to be done. Make that EVERYTHING. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't be here at all. What I dislike the most is that there is no balcony, no access to the outside while still being inside.

My son renovated our bathroom about ten years ago and told me I should consider a walk in shower. I wish I had listened to him,although I've been told if I need to sell this house a bathtub is a plus.
I don't have a railing from our back porch to the back yard and really need one.
I wish we had put a wash tub in our basement when we had it built. Anytime I need water down there I have to lug the bucket from upstairs.

I need to have some very large trees removed from around the house. I hate to see them go but they could come down in a bad storm and the leaves are getting out of hand.

This apartment, a co-op, has not been renovated since it was built in 1953. As you can imagine, there is so much to be done. Make that EVERYTHING. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't be here at all. What I dislike the most is that there is no balcony, no access to the outside while still being inside.
Since 1953?.. :oops::eek:...good lord that's since before I was born

That's right, rub it in! 😁
Moved in here with my family when I was a wee girl, I was. Inherited it from my mother, and it was so cheap (still is) to live here I moved as a financial decision. Couldn't risk my future safety.
aww I wasn't trying to make you feel old, I was just thinking how disgraceful it is and how sorry for you I feel that no work has been done since before I was born :(

Our condo in a 55+ community is ground floor, has washer dryer, 2 bed rooms, 2 bath. I do simple things like replace the light switches with rocker switches, replace the door knobs with lever handles, install ceiling fans and replace all the overage appliances before they are a problem including the water heater.

What I sorely miss is the garage I had in our previous home.

A hot tub doesn't have to be heated. In the heat of summer, an unheated Jacuzzi can still sooth your muscles.

Never too cold for a hot tub, though. I've sat in a hot tub in January on Mt. Hood, Oregon with the snow coming down on my head and been in heaven. The dash from the hot tub to the indoors, though, is not a delight.
Yeah, that's what I meant by "too cold" - the run to get in and out of it is just not our cup of tea. We took big marshmallow robes with us to Florida - we stayed there 5 or 6 weeks for a few years. Sometimes it was just so cold (by the Gulf) that we never attempted to get in the heated pool. It would be the same with a hot tub so we gave up the idea of having one on the back deck here at home.

That dash in and out was just brutal! Noting about the cold do either of us dig!

Our condo in a 55+ community is ground floor, has washer dryer, 2 bed rooms, 2 bath. I do simple things like replace the light switches with rocker switches, replace the door knobs with lever handles, install ceiling fans and replace all the overage appliances before they are a problem including the water heater.

What I sorely miss is the garage I had in our previous home.
Good luck Manatee...the Florida beach condo we stayed in finally had to demand the owners replaced their water heaters...it was a high rise complex and some of the water heaters had sprung leaks and the units below them were getting soaked with water damage. Absentee owners just cared about the rental fees I guess.

I live in an apartment complex that has lawn in the back that would be perfect for benches and chairs and flowers in some raised beds. But that area is used for residents that have dogs to walk. They have to pick up the poop but they christen everything. I never pick any dandelions or grass from it for my rabbit because of that. It would be nice to be able to sit out there with others during the nice weather. I have nothing against dogs, I had one of my own in the past. It is just one of the things I would find a way to change if I could but not making them get rid of the dogs.

I live in an apartment complex that has lawn in the back that would be perfect for benches and chairs and flowers in some raised beds. But that area is used for residents that have dogs to walk. They have to pick up the poop but they christen everything. I never pick any dandelions or grass from it for my rabbit because of that. It would be nice to be able to sit out there with others during the nice weather. I have nothing against dogs, I had one of my own in the past. It is just one of the things I would find a way to change if I could but not making them get rid of the dogs.
If you have a good idea about how/where to put it, you might talk to the management...if you approached it with the concept it might draw more quality renters, you might get their attention. Question is, where would the doggies now do their business...lol.

My condo law on dog poop is the owners pick it up and dispose of it. Since I don't do that with my own poop you won't see me following a dog around to pick up its poop. You pay for it's food & water, medicine, toys and give it shelter year round and you are supposed to clean up after it?! Yeah, that will happen.

If you have a good idea about how/where to put it, you might talk to the management...if you approached it with the concept it might draw more quality renters, you might get their attention. Question is, where would the doggies now do their business...lol.
That would be the problem. There are 3 parks within walking distance but it would be nice to just sit outside. Sometimes we sit out front by the front doors. But I would not want to see anyone not able to keep their dogs anymore. The ability to have pets here is really a big plus.

My condo law on dog poop is the owners pick it up and dispose of it. Since I don't do that with my own poop you won't see me following a dog around to pick up its poop. You pay for it's food & water, medicine, toys and give it shelter year round and you are supposed to clean up after it?! Yeah, that will happen.
They do have to pick up their dogs' poop and they do that. But the urine cannot be controlled or removed.

You would if you had to pay a $200 fine every time you didn't obey the rules. ... Dog owners have to pick up after their dogs on the grounds and anywhere around my apartment complex, or you can bet that management will be notified by someone.

And homeowners need to be respectful when walking their dogs in neighborhoods too ... your dog, your responsibility.

Urine odors will dissipate in large open grassy areas from everyday weather systems that come thru ....

You would if you had to pay a $200 fine every time you didn't obey the rules. ... Dog owners have to pick up after their dogs on the grounds and anywhere around my apartment complex, or you can bet that management will be notified by someone.

And homeowners need to be respectful when walking their dogs in neighborhoods too ... your dog, your responsibility.

Urine odors will dissipate in large open grassy areas from everyday weather systems that come thru ....
Funny story...when we'd travel and see people with their doggie bags, hub used to say "I'd never do that ...if I had to do that to walk a dog, forget it". Then we went to stay with son up north. He & family live in an upscale golf course subdivision. Not much to do, not our kind of place, you know.

But, then there was "Rosy"...a sweet Goldendoodle they have. So...we started walking the dog and guess what - took our doggie bag with us! One day hub was walking Rosie and a couple kids in the neighborhood ask him if he was the "dog walker".

Moral of that story - "never say NEVER"...lol!

As soon as I make up my mind about what materials I want (I'm almost there), I will have new flooring throughout the entire apartment, except the bathroom and will have my kitchen remodeled. I really need to pain the entire place as well. Again...decisions, decisions on which colors.

I'd have someone remake my bed with fresh line-dried sheets daily. I love to crawl between sheets that have that crisp just washed feel that only cotton percale has.

Slick to the touch, 800 thread count doesn't do it for me.

Back