What do you add to rice?

I cook bacon, (half done), chopped onion, chopped green pepper 5 minutes.
Add 2 cups cooked rice, 3 cups Mexican style stewed tomatoes, 2 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, Cook 5 minutes and bake 360.
Great with tacos or enchiladas!
(Don't substitute the stewed tomatoes)
The Frontier Restaurant and the University Drugs both served that back in the 1970s.

Dahl is a good additive to rice.

Mike.
I haven't had Dahl in years, because i have trouble getting the spices just enough without being too hot. My first hubby's you could taste the spices and it was a little hot like any curry he made, but his Mom's was way to hot for me. But you're right, it is good with rice. If my retired Navy son ever comes to visit again i may attempt making it again as he enjoyed the East Indian foods as a child. All spicy foods in fact--when the boys were about 3 1/2 and we lived in Honolulu, if we went to Korean BBQ place he ate KimChi as if it was side dish not a condiment.

Last edited:
If I have some cans of broth I will use that as the liquid when cooking rice, instead of water. Gives a nice flavor to it
When i was in my late teens living alone in NYC, saving money so i could afford to go off and participate in civil rights movement summer of 1966, i practically lived on Rice and beef broth for months. And eggs cause they were cheap.

I haven't had Dahl in years, because i have trouble getting the spices just enough without being too hot. My first hubby's you could taste the spices and it was a little hot like any curry he made, but his Mom's was way to hot for me. But you're right, it is good with rice. If my retired Navy son ever comes to visit again i may attempt making it again as he enjoyed the East Indian foods as a child. All spicy foods in fact--when the boys were about 3 1/2 and we lived in Honolulu, if we went to Korean BBQ place he ate KimChi as if it was side dish not a condiment.
Don't use curry powder feywon, use some spices, but not the
peppers or chillies, use garam masala, paprika, turmeric, cardamom,
cumin, coriander, just a little of each, tasting it and adding a bit more
till it is tasty but not too hot.

If you use curry powder and it is too hot, you can add a little sugar
or honey, or make a side dish of cucumber, peeled and sliced any
old way and in yoghurt.

Mike.

@Ruth n Jersey, that sounds like a delicious sugar-free dessert your German Grandpa ate. Apples are the lowest in sugar of all fruits. I'll bet they either used apples off their tree or bought no-sugar-added applesauce to keep Grandpa healthy. I have cravings for dessert and this would be a healthy choice...I'm going to try it. I have fresh Gala Apples in the fridge, a bag of rice, and some cinnamon. Thanks!!

gandules (pigeon peas):

R.521c184c284b30f9c6f0130b0d5e0684

with chunks of ham & Spanish olives sprinkled with olive oil ~ ah, SUPERB!

When I'm in a hurry I steam the rice and throw on some broccoli spears during the last several minutes. When it's done I just add salt, pepper and butter.

When I'm not in a hurry, first I lightly saute a big handful of pine nuts in butter, then toss in some chopped onion or scallions and garlic. When the pine nuts just start to brown I toss in a handful of orzo pasta, and turn the heat down. When the orzo is light brown I dump all that onto hot rice that I boiled in chicken stock, sprinkle on some turmeric, salt, and pepper, and carefully mix it all up.

When I'm in a hurry I steam the rice and throw on some broccoli spears during the last several minutes. When it's done I just add salt, pepper and butter.

When I'm not in a hurry, first I lightly saute a big handful of pine nuts in butter, then toss in some chopped onion or scallions and garlic. When the pine nuts just start to brown I toss in a handful of orzo pasta, and turn the heat down. When the orzo is light brown I dump all that onto hot rice that I boiled in chicken stock, sprinkle on some turmeric, salt, and pepper, and carefully mix it all up.
I hope you'll be inviting me to dinner soon.

Looks Goooooood!

My Mexican pals take great pride in their cultural cuisine. Indeed, it is very tasty and I am rather good at Mexican cooking. But a couple of them have confessed to me quite stealthily that there is nothing quite like Puerto Rican food. Social protocols being what they are, they are not allowed to hint of that in public. Arroz con gandules being one of our specialties.

I used to eat rice with fresh fruit, or zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes, but don't have a garden anymore so recently I've been using dried fruit like prunes, dates or raisins. Sauces would be good, but almost all of them contain things I don't like. Plus now I'm only going to the store once every 4 to 6 weeks, so I'm wondering what would keep well and be good for putting on rice.

What do you like to eat with your rice? 🤔
Butter and sugar on white rice

I'm not a big fan of plain white rice , but I do love Chinese fried rice. Hint : when fully done, I sprinkle on some sesame seed oil, and toss well before serving. It is THE ultimate flavor.

Back