What do you spend money on during retirement

Hi Alex, welcome to SF,glad you found us
I've been retired 10 yrs,I just buy the essentials.I keep track every month what/where I spend my money been doing it for yrs. My biggest purchase so far this yr was buying a Galaxy 10E smartphone at Best Buy cost me $170 Sue

Holidays normally I guess, but nothing in our case , as hubby had his stroke 9yrs Ago
I ve reached my pension age last month, and don’t and can’t go anywhere..
So we will be saving a lot lol...

LOL. Irwin. I would have thought the whiskey came first.

We paid cash for everything over I lives, even our house and cars. Finance charges were up to 18 percent when we first got married so we figured we couldn't afford to pay twice as much for everything just so we could have it faster. Still, I wouldn't recommend waiting until age fifty to have a house for most people, it just worked for us because he was in the Air Force and we were moving all the time anyway, from one apartment to another.

Now we pay for utilities, cable, lawn service, food, gas, dentist and vet bills. Our dog costs more in heath care than us because the military health insurance is fabulous.

No grandkids, but we want to leave my son secure.

We're natural savers because we both absolutely hate to shop, even online. The result is that we have more in the bank than anyone would ever guess by the disgraceful way we dress.

Scuba Diving gear/pool sessions, transportation-gasoline, buckwheat pancake/waffle mix, lunches with my daughters, acupuncture, iPhone AT&T, Recently purchased two100 cu ft Faber Blue Steel scuba air cylinders, Hollis 200 HD BCD, Zeagle cold water f8 regulator & Zeagle octopus, lead weights, scuba mask with corrective lenses, fins, custom Bare Trilam Pro Dry, dry suit, Oceanic Pro Plus 4 console dive computer w/compass. over the course of 1 year.

I've spent money helping family members, on travel and beefing up my savings and investments, as well as donating to charities that I feel are worthy. When I first retired, I had my kitchen and bathroom remodeled. That will be 23 years ago next month. It's way past time for me to get the kitchen done again (I love my bathroom as is). COVID put a pause on that.

In retirement, I spend my money on the same stuff as before I retired. The difference is where I spend less of it, like clothes, dating, furniture, tools and gadgets, barbers. I buy a lot fewer holiday gifts and a bit less gasoline, and I gave up some hobbies that were kind of a drain.

My lifestyle has changed since I retired. I've always bought books but now, even more so. A lot of my income goes on paying for the internet, I'm constantly on Google, asking questions about all sorts of things. I can now spend money on clothes for myself instead of putting the children's needs first (I used to actually wear my children's cast-offs!)

I spend on new video games, which discovered when I was over 50 and became hooked for life. Let's see... books, vitamin and health supplements. Pet foods and toys. Household needs, personal care items. I must say I love not having to worry about what I am going to wear! Most days its pajamas or house dresses with one of my husbands flannel shirts for warmth. Husband spends on electronic gadgets and kitchen gadgets. We got a mandolin for slicing veggies, an air fryer and food processor.

I am in a senior apt building..so rent is low. I am not much for travel, or eating out a lot. So a lot is spent on books, and good quality personal care items. I do like to indulge myself. I have also been revamping my wardrobe as I have been losing weight. In home entertainment, as Amazon Prime (for the movies/tv shows } , Netflix and Hulu. I got rid of cable as I was not using it enough.

Back