What do you spend money on during retirement

I am in a senior apt building..so rent is low. I am not much for travel, or eating out a lot. So a lot is spent on books, and good quality personal care items. I do like to indulge myself. I have also been revamping my wardrobe as I have been losing weight. In home entertainment, as Amazon Prime (for the movies/tv shows } , Netflix and Hulu. I got rid of cable as I was not using it enough.
I wish I knew how that prime, netflix and hulu all worked. Did you have someone set it up for you? I'd like to get rid of cable some day also. It's expensive and they keep taking channels away and there is little on. Or at the least, add one of these instead of a higher cable tier.

I'm also with you on books and good personal care items.

The vast majority of my income goes to needs versus wants. And that's okay. I don't want much in terms of things except to travel periodically.
I'm kind of thinking (and hoping) that's where I'll be. I don't need much. I'd need money for books, both new and thrifted. Craft supplies. I'm out of my mind if I buy more yarn or fabric and thrift store shopping money.

I wish I knew how that prime, netflix and hulu all worked. Did you have someone set it up for you? I'd like to get rid of cable some day also. It's expensive and they keep taking channels away and there is little on. Or at the least, add one of these instead of a higher cable tier.

Here is a free streaming service: https://tubitv.com/

I have a smart TV, so I can watch them all there. But if you do not, you can watch on your Tablet or laptop If you have Amazon Prime for shopping, you have the streaming service already. They are all a subscription service, you pay monthly. Hulu is great because you can watch all your network programs the next day. All of the services show movies, old TV shows and have original content as well. Hulu is best for original content...at least a lot of what I like. You can go to the websites to look around and see what they have. DM me if you have other questions

I have a smart TV, so I can watch them all there. But if you do not, you can watch on your Tablet or laptop If you have Amazon Prime for shopping, you have the streaming service already. They are all a subscription service, you pay monthly. Hulu is great because you can watch all your network programs the next day. All of the services show movies, old TV shows and have original content as well. Hulu is best for original content...at least a lot of what I like. You can go to the websites to look around and see what they have. DM me if you have other questions
Thank you @Marie5656 I don't have a smart TV. If I have to replace mine, that's probably what I would get. It all seems so techy to me and above my skills.

These days? Mostly food, gas, household bills, and replacing things that break or wear out. DH and I have pretty much everything we need or want.

Will spend many thousands this summer to have our son and DIL's in-ground pool fenced off from the rest of their yard to make it child-safe. They have a new baby and we want it done before he's mobile.

I know someone whose 2 year old grandchild drowned in their unfenced pool. By the time they found her it was too late. It happened about 20 years ago but the horror of that tragedy never left me.

My new house is a money pit... new curtains, new lawnmower, wireless adapter for surround speakers, tools, wood... but come this summer, things should be stable and I'll be able to enjoy it. I'm turning one of the bedrooms into a book room with nothing but bookshelves lining the walls and a reading chair, which is something else I need to buy.

7 new smoke detectors. At least they were 43% off on Amazon - $20.00.
I like the 10-yr. battery. Much less expensive than buying 9-volt batteries every year.
When it starts chirping, you just replace it.
And they're much more sensitive & reliable than the older ones.
First Alert 0827B Ionization Smoke Alarm with 10-Year Sealed Tamper-Proof Battery , White

I bought a smart tv so I could get rid of cable. Most of my money goes for needs but I do have a savings for repairs, vet bills, and travel. I am going to Ireland for 11 days in June. I am really looking forward to it as I haven’t been on vacation in 3 years.
Good for you (cutting the cord & taking a much needed vacation). Congratulations on your new smart T.V. and finally taking a vacation. Safe travels always and I hope your trip is enjoyable.

Hubs likes to cook all sorts of cuisines, so we have a multitude of different spices and seasonings, from achiote to zaatar. We like to take a cruise now and again, and short road trips. We are generous with the grandkids. I have a cleaning woman come in twice a month. Ditto lawn guy. And that’s about it.

What do I spend money on during retirement? (1) great-grandsons (2) great new canine bed-partner (3) my landscape helper that I can no-longer do without.

I'm trying hard to avoid medical bills, as dying is apparently cheaper.

I said when I purchased my last used car that it would definitely be the last car I own... Now, it's on its last leg before I'm on my last leg, so this is something that I have to consider.

Welcome to Senior Forums!

Back