What do you think of this suggestion?

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
I’ve done this on my other forums...the couple that I administer and the several others I’m an active member of.

I give someone on the forum contact info for me and a spouse/family member/friend as a just in case thing.

I’ve seen a few “where is X?” threads just since I’ve joined here I know from the other forums I’m active on that one tends to form attachments and we get worried when one of the regulars drops out of sight. So if anything sudden ever happened to me and I drop out of touch...they have my and my daughter’s contact info and can reach out and ask if there’s any concern. I hate being worried about my friends and not knowing if they’re Ok and having no way to find out. I know I can’t be the only one who feels that way.

Not everyone is going to be interested and I know there are folks who value their privacy too much to participate, but still. What do you think?

No thanks!

I've been lucky to meet and spend time with some wonderful people on the internet but IMO it's a natural thing for them to drift into and out of our lives as we all grow and our needs/interests change.

“Not so much two ships passing in the night as two ships sailing together for a time but always bound for different ports.” - P.D. James, The Lighthouse.

No thanks!

I've been lucky to meet and spend time with some wonderful people on the internet but IMO it's a natural thing for them to drift into and out of our lives as we all grow and our needs/interests change.

“Not so much two ships passing in the night as two ships sailing together for a time but always bound for different ports.” - P.D. James, The Lighthouse.

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but just to clarify. This isn't about friendship, per se.

Yeah, I get that our needs change, I've experienced that myself with virtual friends. I've noticed though that it's a bit different here. I mean, we're all seasoned citizens and that's the core commonality that binds us. THAT isn't going to change! ;) Too, we're all getting older with the concomitant health problems and issues that can come along with aging, no matter how gracefully we're all trying/managing to accomplish that.

Maybe it's just me, and if it is I'll bow out gracefully. I've become anxious more than once over the recent years as I've functioned on forums and someone who is a regular poster suddenly and without explanation just disappears. It was very concerning and I was worried for/about them. In one case another of the posters was in personal contact and she reached out, discovering that the sweet woman had dropped head from a heart attack and her daughter had her phone and was answering select texts and calls. Another woman ended up in the hospital because she fell down the stairs, and one of the members had her husband's contact info. That lead to the sweet woman receiving dozens of get well cards which she later told us lifted her out of the depression she'd fallen into as a result of her injury. Knowing that so many people cared and were rooting for her was what she needed to really attack her physical therapy and get her back on her feet.

That kind of caring is what I'm talking about...looking out for the other person, being a support not just on the forum but off it too, when it's needed.

Again......maybe it's just me. But I LOVE that!!:love:

I think it better to leave a list of forum contacts in a place easily reachable for a spouse or close friend.
That way one isn't invaded, but someone, someday can advise if yer takin' a dirt nap.
I've seen that before
Maybe here
I carry a small notebook with ICE information. That's "In Case of Emergency", nothing to do with border security. In this book I also have the necessary forums contact information to allow my husband or daughter to let people know what has happened to me and to explain my sudden silence.

I can't imagine anyone in my family bothering to tell anyone on any forum what has happened to me. If its like Facebook then my friends and contacts will already know. I am assuming the 'moderator' of this forum knows where I am from and it is none of their business to tell anyone due to privacy. I am sure there are many people here that 'know' each other and would be concerned if that person dropped out of sight but maybe that is between them and that person would let their family know if they wanted to let the forum know if something happened to them. If you want to give your forum contact to someone here, by all means go ahead.

How can you trust them? No, I don't recommend. Do you even know their real names
and real addresses or phones? Many people may agree to do this and never follow through.
They agree just to be nice or change their minds.

Back