What does enter your search term mean

Sassycakes

SF VIP
In the last 2 weeks, a rectangle with the words enter your search term written in it.,and if I tap on it nothing happens. I have no idea where it came from, what it's for and how do I get it off my computer. I checked my apps and it isn't there. Does anyone have any advice about it?

In the last 2 weeks, a rectangle with the words enter your search term written in it.,and if I tap on it nothing happens. I have no idea where it came from, what it's for and how do I get it off my computer. I checked my apps and it isn't there. Does anyone have any advice about it?
well 'enter your search term' means exactly that... a question for example that you might want to ask a search engine like google...

Where is this happening sassy > on this forum, ..what are you using , a phone, Ipad , laptop, desktop ?... if it's happening on the forum is it on all the threads ? ..or where is it specifically happening where it shouldn't be ?

well 'enter your search term' means exactly that... a question for example that you might want to ask a search engine like google...

Where is this happening sassy > on this forum, ..what are you using , a phone, Ipad , laptop, desktop ?... if it's happening on the forum is it on all the threads ? ..or where is it specifically happening where it shouldn't be ?
I'm using a laptop and it's on every place I enter.

I am certainly no genius when it comes to computers, but have you tried going to that tiny icon in the very bottom left of the screen (the Microsoft icon) and tapping it and then clicking on the circle icon that appears and then clicking on "restart" ?

When that happens to me, I just click on someplace(anyplace)
near the top of the screen , in a blank area, and that alert message goes away.

There is no reason for restarting your entire device, which would take lots of time, and delay you, every time it happens.

WHY it happens as often as it sometimes does, I do not know!

No one I know uses Cortana and I believe they are phasing it out due to it's unpopularity. It is used primarily for voice commands and as a search option. Disabling Cortana can be a little complex. You might want a computer guru to do it for you.

What happens when you type a subject in the rectangle? You should get a list of results websites to read. It should not be a problem. Enter a word like weather and see. I doubt you can delete the box

For what it's worth department, one of my lessons learned in life (computers, cell phones, televisions, cars, relationships) is that sometimes re-boot works when all else fails, that is, turn your laptop off, wait a short period of time, and then re-start.

Have seen that too recently with Google. When a browser window opens in Google expecting a Search, it may refuse to be ignored. This is another "feature" smartphone advocates have inconsiderately pushed onto desktops and laptops instead of as it used to be separating the Address URL bar and the actual Search field.

On a windows laptop, open the task manager with <Ctrl><Alt><Delete> then start with closing your browser with "End Task" that you may reopen later. Then if still there, close any other Apps you opened. Whatever closes the window is at fault. If still there Restart your laptop.

I've seen those, appear to be some kind of advertising lure...

Back