What happens if a coronavirus vaccine is never developed? It has happened before

I put faith in the scientists and the commercial market place. The competition may work in everyone's favor. Who wouldn't want to be the first person to create an effective vaccine and the first company to mass-market it? Otherwise, we get better at treating the symptoms or we wait for herd immunity - which will take a lot more exposure and a very long time, I believe.

Last edited:
I think we are reopening too soon but for those out of work one has to support the idea. I live in a business district and it is very sad to drive around looking at all the closed businesses. The unemployed not only don't know when they will go back to work but they face the possibility of a second wave or an increase in infections caused by reopening to soon. Businesses will experience a low return rate of customers and so they will struggle to stay open. I hope and pray we don't go in to a depression.

I suspect that it will be well into next year before a reliable vaccine or treatment is found for this virus. In the interim, there may be several "cures" announced that will either be of little value, or have serious side effects. People will need to recognize the seriousness of this virus, and continue to practice "social distancing", etc., for many more months.

I fully expect the numbers to go down in coming weeks, and people will relax their vigilance, which could easily result in a resurgence that is equal to, or even greater, than what we have been seeing.

Insofar as the economy is concerned, I see continued high unemployment, sporadic shortages of basic items, and a Very Good possibility that we could sink into a recession similar to the early 1930's.

I doubt a gold mine like a Coronavirus vaccine won't arrive soon. It doesn't have to work any better than the flu vaccine; it just has to be available & people will line up in droves. Fear sells. I can hear it now: "Get this vaccine or we'll have to shut down the country again."
Or...."By getting this vaccine, you'll be saving lives." (A similar one has been used to sell flu shots - "If you don't get a flu shot, you're making others sick.")

Last edited:
They have never found a cure for the common cold,never found a vaccine for HIV.
Those clinging to the certainty that we will find a cure or preventative vaccine need to realise that WHO have prepared us for the fact they may not.I will not allow myself to be injected with a vaccine that has not gone under full clinical trials and proven to be safe and effective.And that takes many years.Not 12 to 18 months.
Which leaves us with two choices-return things to normal and let us take our chances as we do with lots of other viruses and bacteria every day-or live in lockdown for the rest of our lives.I am not prepared to do the latter.
At the moment I am existing.I want to live again.

They have never found a cure for the common cold,never found a vaccine for HIV.
Those clinging to the certainty that we will find a cure or preventative vaccine need to realise that WHO have prepared us for the fact they may not.I will not allow myself to be injected with a vaccine that has not gone under full clinical trials and proven to be safe and effective.And that takes many years.Not 12 to 18 months.
Which leaves us with two choices-return things to normal and let us take our chances as we do with lots of other viruses and bacteria every day-or live in lockdown for the rest of our lives.I am not prepared to do the latter.
At the moment I am existing.I want to live again.
I agree with you for the most part. I will not be first in line to try a vaccine until possible side effects are known. However, I don't believe individuals are left with only two choices - the 'pretend it doesn't exist and go back to normal' option or the 'stay in lockdown' option. I choose to wear a mask for the foreseeable future, continue social distancing, wash my hands, and sanitize surfaces touched by others. My life may be 'smaller,' but I can live with that.

I rather see just as much focus on treatments that are nothing but a trip to the drug store and gone in a few day like many other medical conditions. Vaccines are about future control. The here and now is what needs attention.

No vaccine, no cure and the same old crap for another extended period because we are stuck now. Stuck like a bug on flypaper. Stuck like an ant in molasses. Stuck like Louie Miller's feet in his cement overshoes.

Back