What Happens When We Die?

The only human that would have that answer is someone who died, saw what was on the other side and came back to life to report it. Jesus is the only such man, and the New Testament of the Holy Bible reports a whole lot about what Jesus reported comes after death, for both those who have come to be his followers, and for those who don't. He tells us the essentials of what we need to know to be prepared, but leaves a whole lot of my questions unanswered. I guess the details are based on a need to know basis.
Biblical reference is usually a trigger in these types of threads but since you mentioned the Bible....The New Testament tells whether or not we will get answers to our questions after we die in 1 Corinthians 13:9-12.

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears....For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

This scripture is referring to knowing God fully and seeing him clearly after we die but I think it includes full knowledge of the things God has full knowledge of as well. I just can't remember where that scriptural source is for the moment.

Last edited:
Several of the world's religions believe in reincarnation. Perhaps we keep coming back until we get it right. I admit that I'm curious about what happens...but in no hurry to find out.
I hope you are wrong. I've had enough of this planet. I have no desire to "come back" as anything. All I hope for is that death comes on suddenly.

With nature as our model, we can see that much of it is cyclical, and that when one cycle is completed, another begins. Humans are innately responsive to this, and have imposed their own cycles and constructs of time upon nature. Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed, but only changed from form to form. When we complete the long cycle of our current forms, I believe that we shall enter another existence cycle of some kind, although it may be non-corporeal and we may exist as energies rather than matter, which is essentially what “spirit” is...

With nature as our model, we can see that much of it is cyclical, and that when one cycle is completed, another begins. Humans are innately responsive to this, and have imposed their own cycles and constructs of time upon nature. Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed, but only changed from form to form. When we complete the long cycle of our current forms, I believe that we shall enter another existence cycle of some kind, although it may be non-corporeal and we may exist as energies rather than matter, which is essentially what “spirit” is...
It's interesting Fyrefox but if I read this correctly, you believe in eternal life of our bodies that will change forms over and over again, in cycles...each time dying and changing into a new living or spirit form. And you base this on the cycles you see in nature. But those cycles, like the metamorphosis of butterflies and tadpoles in nature, only change forms once and then die.

Last edited:
It's interesting Fyrefox but if I read this correctly, you believe in eternal life of our bodies that will change forms over and over again, in cycles...each time dying and changing into a new living or spirit form. And you base this on the cycles you see in nature. But those cycles, like the metamorphosis of butterflies and tadpoles in nature, only change forms once and then die.
I believe Hindus have this belief.

I once woke to find myself coming out of a coma. I was in the I.C.U. While in the coma, I had died, and as the nurse was filling out my time of death, my heart started beating again. I had the clear memory of looking down into the lobby of a travel agency. 17 years later, as I was writing a song about the New Jerusalem, I had a flash in my mind and I remembered this: I was standing on a street. I looked to my left and saw a boulevard, perhaps with shrubs, benches, trees. Beyond that were more boulevards and streets. A golden glow, perhaps mist, clung to the ground. I turned and looked in front of me. About 2 feet from me was Jesus. As He was taller than me, I looked up. Our eyes met and I was aware of His deep love for me. He was smiling. That's all.

Then that is likely what you'll experience.
I thought for awhile that whatever happens when people die will be what they think will happen.

Now I don't care what happens because I believe there is no way to know and that I have no control over it. I tend to think that all biological beings die and are no longer except as nutrients in a few cases. IOW, this is only an opinion.

I have had what might be a NDA. I'd had a heart attack, and was lying on an exam table waiting for a cardiologist to arrive at the hospital. I closed my eyes and immediately felt as though I were being pulled down a long tunnel. I didn't see any light or people. I was frantic because I could not die and leave my children behind. Their father would not have been a sufficient single parent. So I was screaming, in my head, no, no, I cannot leave my children, and trying to keep myself (or get back to) the here and now. And suddenly I was back.

That was not the only time I have been afraid I might die, but it is the only time I thought I was dying.

Last edited:
What I believe is that there is much more to us than biological beings. I believe when I die I will be instantly with my creator and will continue living in a new body until it's time to return to a new earth, a perfect earth, along with others who share my same belief. I believe this because the Bible says so and is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Back