What Happens When We Die?

Afterlife can't be proven or disproven that is where faith enters the thought process. I think religion is a great crutch to lean on as hope.

Faith that a sentient being & a crew of sentient beings billions of years old are somewhere outside our universe waiting for us to show up in some sentient form to reunite with the billions that have died is the major part of that hope/faith.

It's something that only each individual can accept or reject.
Really well put, and except maybe for the last line I agree completely. I can see comfort believing in an afterlife. Sometimes I wish I did, but I just can't see the logic or the reason to it. Not that I am right and others are wrong, I just don't know... agnostic I guess.

So whilst I don't "accept" I don't really "reject" either. Just skeptical...

Last edited:
Several of the world's religions believe in reincarnation. Perhaps we keep coming back until we get it right. I admit that I'm curious about what happens...but in no hurry to find out.
My first hubby was raised Hindu (he was East Indian descent from Guyana, S. America), but he didn't even believe in any afterife till he was dead. We debated about it frequently, because i believe consciousness is eternal, and in reincarnation.

I've always believed that Jesus takes to Heaven at death. However, lately I am beginning to think we just cease to exist. There may be no Heaven and no Hell; just existence and non-existence. I wonder what others think. At 86 I'm getting closer and closer to the end.
Yes, there is an angel or maybe Jesus and yes, you go to Heaven. REALLY. There is a hereafter, for sure. I know.

My first hubby was raised Hindu (he was East Indian descent from Guyana, S. America), but he didn't even believe in any afterife till he was dead. We debated about it frequently, because i believe consciousness is eternal, and in reincarnation.
There may well be an afterlife. I know that I’ve heard people talk about one forever and what it will be like. But speaking only for myself, it just doesn’t make sense that any afterlife would be better or different than any beforelife. And even though we have proof that we all have experienced a period of nonexistence and with nothing I know of that’s alive, living forever, then why should I think that humans will or do experience such a thing? I can deny or accept reality but reality doesn’t care much which of those choices I make. Plant, animal or human, if it lives, it also dies.

I've spent my career dealing with death and dying........and life and living.
And I've been right there at the moment of death for so many people.
No matter how horrible the events leading up to their end, in all of them, their final moments were one of peace and without fear.
For that, I have always been grateful......knowing they found peace at least at their final seconds.
I have no idea what awaits any of us after our grand or sullen departure, but I am comforted in knowing that as I close this door behind me that I'll leave life peacefully without fear.
One of Huzz's buddies died of cancer in his wife's arms and she said that in his last moment, he got a terrified look on his face and said, "Help me!" and then breathed his last. So unfortunately, sounds like not everyone finds peace in their final seconds. Maybe something to do with the patient's brain chemistry? IDK; sad anyway.

There may well be an afterlife. I know that I’ve heard people talk about one forever and what it will be like. But speaking only for myself, it just doesn’t make sense that any afterlife would be better or different than any beforelife. And even though we have proof that we all have experienced a period of nonexistence and with nothing I know of that’s alive, living forever, then why should I think that humans will or do experience such a thing? I can deny or accept reality but reality doesn’t care much which of those choices I make. Plant, animal or human, if it lives, it also dies.
What proof of non-existence before? In places where reincarnation is accepted and children not shushed when talking about "When i was____" and the rest of it relates to a different life such memories are often verified by their familes.

As for references to physical nature:
1) Nature recycles everything.
2) One of the laws of thermodynamics holds that neither matter or energy can be utterly destroyed but rather they convert back and forth from one to the other. Experiments with colliding atoms have left more debris than the volume of the two original atoms.
And
3) how limiting and Rather arrogant, IMO,to think this is the only reality.
Read more neuroscience, folks who only believe you physical senses, you'll learn that only a fraction of what those senses perceive makes it into your waking conscious mind. True, in varying degrees, for all of us.

Last edited:
I'm almost 75, at 27 1/2 i had an NDE. Not evidential for anyone else, but huge significance for me. Both my experience and the literature (people's personal accounts) suggest that what you strongly believe will influence what happens immediately after.(hence the accounts of folks experiencing scriptural type heavens or hells during NDEs). Unless there's someone you feel you need to watch over or something you need to communicate to one your still living loved ones, if you believe there's 'nothing' you probably won't perceive anything at first, but that's ok cause time different in that dimension/reality.
I firmly believe that when Jesus says, "I go to prepare a place for you, that where I am, there you may be also", this means there is a place for us to go to and it is prepared for specifically for us when we leave our bodies.

One of Huzz's buddies died of cancer in his wife's arms and she said that in his last moment, he got a terrified look on his face and said, "Help me!" and then breathed his last. So unfortunately, sounds like not everyone finds peace in their final seconds. Maybe something to do with the patient's brain chemistry? IDK; sad anyway.
Did he believe in the Lord and His Word, if not, that explains his expressions.

This is what I also believe. I also feel that when we are living we are in Hell. Where else can you experience the pain of losing loved ones? I pray we are reunited with those we love and will never lose them again.
No, no way. Hell is a terrible, tormenting place and only evil is there. I read a paperback and it talked about a believer who had a dream of being in Hell, he was allowed to have this dream and experience it in a dream in order to tell people about it. 21 Minutes in Hell, was the name of the book.

I've always believed that Jesus takes to Heaven at death. However, lately I am beginning to think we just cease to exist. There may be no Heaven and no Hell; just existence and non-existence. I wonder what others think. At 86 I'm getting closer and closer to the end.
I do hope you believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior. There is a place He has prepared for you, because where He is there you will be also. That is in the Bible in John 14 verses 2 and 3.

What proof of non-existence before? In places where reincarnation is accepted and children not shushed when talking about "When i was____" and the rest of it relates to a different life such memories are often verified by their familes.

As for references to physical nature:
1) Nature recycles everything.
2) One of the laws of thermodynamics holds that neither matter or energy can be utterly destroyed but rather they convert back and forth from one to the other. Experiments with colliding atoms have left more debris than the volume of the two original atoms.
And
3) how limiting and Rather arrogant, IMO,to think this is the only reality.
Read more neuroscience, folks who only believe you physical senses, you'll learn that only a fraction of what those senses perceive makes it into your waking conscious mind. True, in varying degrees, for all of us.
@feywon Thanks for sharing what you believe to be true but the subject isn’t important enough to me to want to research it further. I’m pretty okay with what I feel about it already. Any opinions I express are mine and mine alone. I’ve not lived the same life or any other lives that you have so of course, my result may well be different than yours. Maybe the actuality lies somewhere between what you know to be and what I feel to be.

IIRC, that's kinda what George Carlin, said, something like whatever you think's gonna happen will: if you think you're going to heaven, you will; if you think you're going to hell, you will; and if you think you'll stop existing, you will.
I miss George Carlin. I related far better to his way of looking at things than most any others I’ve been presented with in any lifetime I’ve lived so far.

Back