What have you bought recently?

A new hose for my Shop Vac. The old connector I struggled with for umpteen years trying to patch it together with tape and hot melt glue and whatever. This new hose is like a miracle. It has made my Shop Vac just like new again. It wasn't cheap but it was worth the price of admission.
I often wonder to myself why I struggle so hard when the solution is so simple.
Nice thing about a Shop Vac is that it can be used to suck up water in case of a spill or to clean a mat or whatever.

@Ruthanne and others interested in sound and sleep machines.....

I have a Marpac Dohm, which I like very much and find helpful.
I had tried a different brand, which had more variety of types of sounds, before this one, BUT
I not only did not find that previous one helpful, but I actually found many of the sounds irritating instead. :oops::rolleyes::(

The names of the sounds sounded great, but the actual sounds of that particular machine, were grating for me. :(

I hope the one you ordered will be very good for you!

If not, do try some other...it's worth it to find one that helps! I too, live in an apartment with some very loud neighbors, and find it difficult for me. I am glad I tried a second type that is better for me, than the first one I had tried, which I thought would be great, but was not.

I have thought about adding another, and I might try one that some say is excellent, but I haven't heard how it sounds.
It is called Lectrofan.

I bought my wife a pair of those blue tooth earbuds from Apple for Christmas. She wants the movie, "Call of the Outdoors," I believe it is with Harrison Ford. It's supposed to be all real, except the moviemakers put in an animated dog. I will buy this on Prime and then she can watch it whenever.

@Ruthanne and others interested in sound and sleep machines.....

I have a Marpac Dohm, which I like very much and find helpful.
I had tried a different brand, which had more variety of types of sounds, before this one, BUT
I not only did not find that previous one helpful, but I actually found many of the sounds irritating instead. :oops::rolleyes::(

The names of the sounds sounded great, but the actual sounds of that particular machine, were grating for me. :(

I hope the one you ordered will be very good for you!

If not, do try some other...it's worth it to find one that helps! I too, live in an apartment with some very loud neighbors, and find it difficult for me. I am glad I tried a second type that is better for me, than the first one I had tried, which I thought would be great, but was not.

I have thought about adding another, and I might try one that some say is excellent, but I haven't heard how it sounds.
It is called Lectrofan.
I will look into that one that you mentioned because I got the one I ordered today and it wouldn't even turn on so I have to send it back.

I think there's something wrong with me.......might have to see a doctor
My shopping urge has certainly declined......very, not like me.
Maybe there's a pill for that....lol....lol....lol.
Still waiting for the track and valance i ordered for the veins i have......manufacturer must be backlogged.
Did recently get my Cuisinart Mixmaster with my Walmart Rewards......does that count. ;):)(y)

I am thinking of getting a new ipad.......going to wait to see if any real good Black Friday sales pop up.

I do grocery shop weekly.

I got the one I ordered today and it wouldn't even turn on so I have to send it back.

Oh, that is awful, Ruth. I'm sorry you have to go thru that! :confused::cautious:
What a disappointment and inconvenience too!

I recommend the Dohm one I have, made by Marpac,
or you could try the Lectrofan brand, which others say is good.

I wonder which one @Bonnie has , or other people here? :unsure:

I also have a CD, with just Ocean waves, I use a lot, too.

Oh, that is awful, Ruth. I'm sorry you have to go thru that! :confused::cautious:
What a disappointment and inconvenience too!

I recommend the Dohm one I have, made by Marpac,
or you could try the Lectrofan brand, which others say is good.

I wonder which one @Bonnie has , or other people here? :unsure:

I also have a CD, with just Ocean waves, I use a lot, too.
Thanks, yes it was disappointing. The one I had bought is a Renfro from China. I will see if they carry the Dohm by Marpac on Amazon. I have written the Lectrofan down, too, thank you!

A 90 day supply of insulin with a Medicare copay of $717.48.

Welcome to the donut hole!

ziggy-4-19-10.gif

I bought a new TV to replace the old one in the living room that was on its last legs.
And of course I had to go back and get different cables since they never design them with identical inputs and outputs.
I also bought a new streaming stick from ROKU.
Our family room TV - isn't "smart" and thus it's a pain to get to Netflix, Prime, and so forth. Ditto the DVD player. The process required several remote controls and perfect sequencing of button pushing. An LG 55" is only $380 during Costco's Black Friday sale, which starts Nov. 5th, so we're going to pick one up. (We'd buy the 65" at $500, but it'd be too big for our existing entertainment center unit. After going to a couple of different furniture stores we decided to live with what we've got.)

Our family room TV - isn't "smart" and thus it's a pain to get to Netflix, Prime, and so forth. Ditto the DVD player. The process required several remote controls and perfect sequencing of button pushing. An LG 55" is only $380 during Costco's Black Friday sale, which starts Nov. 5th, so we're going to pick one up. (We'd buy the 65" at $500, but it'd be too big for our existing entertainment center unit. After going to a couple of different furniture stores we decided to live with what we've got.)
I still have a 'not smart' tv too in my den area. Are you saying that you are able to devise a way to get Netflix on the tv?

I'd love to know how.

Yes. It involves a Roku stick for now. And also depends on your cable system, your set up (does your DVD player act as a pre-amp type thing), and how old and dumb your TV is. Our TV is otherwise great, but it's 12 years old.

Before the Roku stick I would sometimes attach my laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable, mirroring the computer screen onto the TV, and watch Netflix that way.

Even before 2020, television had evolved into a major source of entertainment. As children of Depression Era parents, hubby and I hate replacing something with no obvious flaws other than it doesn't play nicely with the technologically updated world. That said, the annoyance factor of trying to get our current television to do our bidding has tipped the scales toward replacing it.

My stupid tv is from 1999...nice 36" in my entertainment center.
So, i would need to buy a Roku stick..ok. But, I no longer have cable or a box....just a dvd player for my music.

I still have my antenna on the roof tho, for local channels. That should work on my old tv???

I'm currently doing some home repairs, and the tv stuff is kind of last on my list.
But, I appreciate the info.

My stupid tv is from 1999...nice 36" in my entertainment center.
So, i would need to buy a Roku stick..ok. But, I no longer have cable or a box....just a dvd player for my music.

I still have my antenna on the roof tho, for local channels. That should work on my old tv???

I'm currently doing some home repairs, and the tv stuff is kind of last on my list.
But, I appreciate the info.
Your TV is pretty old. If someone lives near you who's tech savvy, you might want to have that person give your system a look-see. Perhaps something can be jury-rigged to accept Netflix.

HDMI cables became part of the consumer electronics world in 2003. Modern ports for Roku sticks and 3.0 USB ports came even later. I'm not saying it can't be done, just warning you might spend $100 or more in cables and adapters. The bottom line is that you'll still be looking at a nearly 22 year old TV.

Our local recycle /waste site.( refuse Tip).. has a re-use centre attached which is essentially a shop where people donate goods that are way too good to be thrown in the skips.. We took a really beautiful chest of drawers up there today we've had for years but have no use for any more.. for them to sell.. and we came away with 2 solid wood pine end tables... one of them needs no care at all, the other just needs a light sanding down and a coat of wax on top, and it's good to go. Both of these table would have cost me the better part of £250 new.. I got them for £10 for the 2.

Went on to town, and I bought 3 new blouses with 3/4 sleeves.. along with groceries to top up the prepper's stock ahead of our second lockdown on Thursday

Good idea hollydolly. We have the Salvation Army or Goodwill we can donate used but still good items. Don't know how'd I'd get it there tho. They used to hv a truck that would come by and pick up donations periodically. Don't know if it is still doing that since Covid happened.

Oh well, I have time to think about it...

Good idea hollydolly. We have the Salvation Army or Goodwill we can donate used but still good items. Don't know how'd I'd get it there tho. They used to hv a truck that would come by and pick up donations periodically. Don't know if it is still doing that since Covid happened.

Oh well, I have time to think about it...
yes we have all the usual many Charity shops like the Salvation army etc.. too... but during the last lock-down they weren't taking donations and since the lifting of lock-down restrictions they've made it difficult to donate.. not taking certain goods for example, and one Hospice charity insists a booking is made ahead of time to drop items off.. Further to that most charity shops here are situated on the high street with restrictions on parking outside , so again difficult to actually get the goods to the store..so with the reuse centre now, we can drive directly to the door within the recycle centre , and there are also people there who will help to load and unload the items from the car...

Back