What Home Security Precautions Do You Use?

I live in a semi-gated community. There are no gates around our building entrances but they can only be accessed using a special key. All the apartments I've seen have 2 locks, including deadbolt locks. I'm on the first floor so I have a heavy bar in my sliding glass door plus a stick at the bottom. The parking lot area and anyplace else that would provide an entry for outsiders are fenced in. But due to the way the complex is configured, with the entrance to one of the buildings is facing the parking lot. It was necessary to install a gate door that delivery men can enter. The other parking lot gates operate remotely and only owners with cars have the remotes. In addition, there are cameras surveilling the premises and signs warning of such.

Last edited:
For 43 years or 44, I forget...Never had any trouble on our street....Of course we do have camera's on our home....
And we have nosey neighbor's that we like...….
One day I got a call on cell phone...My friend across the street told me there was a package on my porch....and it was poring rain outside..
She sent her daughter to get the package and they called my daughter in law to pick up the package....
We all watch each other's homes....Only 4 on the street.....But I also have family 2 blocks away...

We live in a quiet neighborhood but I still lock the doors and also make sure they are locked while I'm in the backyard during the summer working in the garden.
Once in a great while some kids, feeling their oats, will take a liking to the neighborhoods mail boxes. They ride down the street late at night and take a swing at them.
They are usually caught and all is calm until the next batch grows up and continues the tradition. I don't know what it is about mail boxes.

I'm in a safe neighborhood, so far....only have our loud barking beagle mix who barks at everything....doors and windows stay locked.....wish I could afford more security but its not in my budget....if I asked my grown children to install something they would probably comply.
You might buy something like this... CLICK!! Security company yard signs and window stickers. There are also inexpensive door alarms and other stuff.

We live in a large metropolitan area, in a neighborhood that was "okay" when we bought our home 31 yrs ago, that is now one of the "hot, new, exciting!" neighborhoods. So funny!

I was born and raised urban. Casual crime is a given. As long as there's no guns going off, it's no biggie.

We have an alarm system from one of the national companies. It has the ability to control one lamp (owner's choice) on any schedule one wishes. I also have a second light on a separate remote timer in a spare bedroom.

Having the alarm system signs around the house has worked to keep burglars away. We do travel in retirement, so feel more comfortable having the house wired for alarms.

Doesn't deter the "smash and grab" thieves that hit cars parked on the streets, but our risk of that is actually fairly low in this area. Nobody has basements or attics, so everybody's garages are stuffed full of things! Hardly anyone puts their cars inside the garage, LOL; we all just park on the street outside the house.

Biggest car theft risks are the catalytic converters. Professional burglary rings target them for the precious metals in them. It's a super-easy theft, apparently - takes less than 60 seconds to cut one out.

The favorite car target is the Toyota Prius. It is so light, they don't even have to jack it up. Two guys just tilt the car upwards on one side, and a third goes underneath to cut the converter out. The gangs will focus on one neighborhood at a time, traveling from city to city. They'll hit 15-20 cars in less than an hour; then go on to another street a dozen miles away, hit another two dozen cars. Rinse; repeat.

After 4-5 hrs they call it a night, split up the money, and plan to meet again in another couple of weeks.

Crime is of little concern in our rural area. Once in awhile someone reports a minor theft of something left outdoors, but that's about it. There are a lot of hunters in our area, and virtually every household has firearms of some sort. If anyone came into this area, trying to break into houses, etc., they might not make it back to the highway.
This is my situation as well.

I used to have a dog but don't any longer.

Crime is of little concern in our rural area. Once in awhile someone reports a minor theft of something left outdoors, but that's about it. There are a lot of hunters in our area, and virtually every household has firearms of some sort. If anyone came into this area, trying to break into houses, etc., they might not make it back to the highway.
About the same here.... Trail cams have caught a few visitors.... Barking dogs and solar auto lights help...

Back