What I couldn't get this week shopping

Gluten free crackers and cookies are becoming more scarce. There are only a few selections of each at most stores now, and can't find some favorites anywhere.

The Dollar General is practically empty. When I asked the manager about it, she indicated that the supply trucks are focused on delivering to outlets near larger population centers. I guess when you live in the boonies, you take what you can get. What's different between now and 18 months ago in regard to stocking stores?

You eat a gluten-free diet, Win? I didn't realize that.
No, I don't eat a gluten-free diet. Gluten doesn't bother me. A friend was told to avoid Gluten & I gave her those cookies & she LOVED them.
She had me try one & I couldn't believe how good it was. Since I'm diabetic, I'll usually have a couple when my glucose is low. They have 10 gms sugar each; not too bad.

I've had problems with the last 2 pick up orders with Walmart......they've change their App , so I don't know if the problem was the App or shortages..but nearly half of a long list of groceries was 'ship only' items, they didn't say 'out of stock' like usual just 'ship only'....no over the counter drugs, no dog food, no can soup and so on.
I wondered if they were pushing their new program that you buy into yearly, like Amazon prime, anyway it was a PITA...

The Dollar General is practically empty. When I asked the manager about it, she indicated that the supply trucks are focused on delivering to outlets near larger population centers. I guess when you live in the boonies, you take what you can get. What's different between now and 18 months ago in regard to stocking stores?
we're the same here.. including the city...the ''pound stores'' just don't have the variety of stock they usually carry, and the supermarkets have lots of empty shelves..or... they have filled shelves but not the variety of goods we're used to...

I noticed also, I usually buy Kitchen paper online in bulk .. it's a top brand, but all sellers don't have any in stock until the 8th of October although I can pre-order, so I didn't , just thought I'd hold off until closer to the time, and in the few days it's been on my wish list it's risen in price twice.. and now costs £5.50 more than it did just a few days ago..

Last edited:
Sorry I'm just responding to you. I thought about doing that. In fact I have both canned and dried split peas here I can try to make it with. I'm lazy when it comes to cooking though plus I have it in my head that mine wouldn't be as good....but maybe one day. ;)

I do totally comprehend that you might not decide to prioritize it, but just in case it helps you, I would say that it is actually quite easy to make a simple version of pea soup. 🍵

Dried split peas need only be simmered for a while (much less attention than any other beans or seeds, etc)
and you could just add veggies of your choice and convenience, and anything else you have on hand and might like, such as potato or rice or quinoa.....

If you like it, Bay leaf is very good, but you don't need lots of seasonings or extra additions. :)

Another simple recipe.

Knob of butter
Small diced onion
Approx. 1# fresh, frozen or canned peas
Approx. 2 cups water, milk, or stock, including liquid from canned peas.
A splash of heavy cream or sour cream at serving time.

Melt butter in saucepan, sweat onion, add peas and liquid, simmer 3 minutes, purée with stick blender or in batches using a conventional blender, swirl in cream and serve.

You can use the same basic recipe to make a quick cream of anything soup.

Back