What I couldn't get this week shopping

I get Werther's lozenges, as one of the things to soothe my constantly painful throat, and sometimes, my shopping helper tells me the stores had none of them on the shelf.
Other times, there are some, so I have to ask for lots of packs, whenever they are in stock. And I wonder each time, whether there will be any, or whether they will become completely unavailable, at some point.

I don't like their newer varieties that have lots more artificial stuff in them. I would prefer they put fewer strange unneeded ingredients in them, not more. :oops::sneaky::geek:

At my Assisted Living, the kitchen cannot get some items such as grapes, corn bread mix, tomatoes.
It’s odd how some things are in abundance in some parts of the country and missing in others. Plenty of corn bread mix in Utah, lots of grapes from Mexico. (I guess while Mexicans are not welcome their grapes are). No shortage of tomatoes but they are grown here

It’s odd how some things are in abundance in some parts of the country and missing in others.
I find this confusing, too. And it's often difficult to tell, which is which.o_O

Unless I see that some item is reportedly in short supply nationally, or world-wide, I have no idea if an item I want, is simply not in the specific store, or not in my area, or if it is part of a much larger supply issue.:rolleyes::oops::confused:

I just came from our Wal-Mart. No T.P. again. (Guess I'll have to go out in the field & pick up some corn cobs.) Very little meat in their meat counter. The cereal aisle had very little in it.

They did have four aisles of candy for Halloween. Already have 1/3 of the store set up with Chiristmas.

I find this confusing, too. And it's often difficult to tell, which is which.o_O

Unless I see that some item is reportedly in short supply nationally, or world-wide, I have no idea if an item I want, is simply not in the specific store, or not in my area, or if it is part of a much larger supply issue.:rolleyes::oops::confused:
Kaila, from what I can tell with domestically produced or grown groceries, there are some shortages in the US, but those are usually limited to a particular store, or chain, or are just an out-of-stock for a few days.

Frozen dinners and packaged, processed foods may be scarce because of shortages in packaging materials. I don't eat them (or meat) so I don't pay attention to stock levels or prices. On the other hand, I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and have had no problems getting those. Produce from Mexico and South America continues arriving without delay. In fact, last week I got a couple of nice mangoes from Ecuador @39¢. Avocados and tomatoes from Mexico are plentiful, plums, strawberries and grapes from CA, and no idea where the rest came from because there aren't stickers on them!

Yesterday I was at a pharmacy next to a 99¢ store and dropped in at 99¢ out of curiosity. The store was in full stock on TP, soda, bottled water, H'ween candy, Christmas candy and decorations for both holidays. Loads of dried peas and beans, pasta and canned goods. There was plenty of fresh produce and the refrigerated and frozen cases were full, too.

Items imported from overseas are surely a different matter altogether.

Kaila, from what I can tell with domestically produced or grown groceries, there are some shortages in the US, but those are usually limited to a particular store, or chain, or are just an out-of-stock for a few days.

Frozen dinners and packaged, processed foods may be scarce because of shortages in packaging materials. I don't eat them (or meat) so I don't pay attention to stock levels or prices. On the other hand, I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and have had no problems getting those. Produce from Mexico and South America continues arriving without delay. In fact, last week I got a couple of nice mangoes from Ecuador @39¢. Avocados and tomatoes from Mexico are plentiful, plums, strawberries and grapes from CA, and no idea where the rest came from because there aren't stickers on them!

Yesterday I was at a pharmacy next to a 99¢ store and dropped in at 99¢ out of curiosity. The store was in full stock on TP, soda, bottled water, H'ween candy, Christmas candy and decorations for both holidays. Loads of dried peas and beans, pasta and canned goods. There was plenty of fresh produce and the refrigerated and frozen cases were full, too.

Items imported from overseas are surely a different matter altogether.
You have to watch the canned goods & things in the freezer at the $1.00 store. A lot of them are out of date. So look at the cans & other food items carefully. I've seen a lot in there 6 months past time to eat. I looked at a gallon of milk & it was a month past due.

I only buy greeting cards, paper products & cleaning products there. They have Hallmark cards for $1.00 Go to W Mart & they are over $4.00 Same with Christmas gift wrap.

You have to watch the canned goods & things in the freezer at the $1.00 store. A lot of them are out of date. So look at the cans & other food items carefully. I've seen a lot in there 6 months past time to eat. I looked at a gallon of milk & it was a month past due.

I only buy greeting cards, paper products & cleaning products there. They have Hallmark cards for $1.00 Go to W Mart & they are over $4.00 Same with Christmas gift wrap.
I tend to not canned goods there - Aldi has much better prices - but thanks for the tip about the dating. Wow! I'll bear that in mind.

Agree on the cards and wrapping paper. I also shop that store for party supplies, toothpaste, deodorant, non-food pet items, inexpensive dish soap to use for cleaning toilets, and a few other things. Their Fresh produce is hit or miss so I cruise that aisle if I'm in the store anyway but don't count on their supply.

I tend to not canned goods there - Aldi has much better prices - but thanks for the tip about the dating. Wow! I'll bear that in mind.

Agree on the cards and wrapping paper. I also shop that store for party supplies, toothpaste, deodorant, non-food pet items, inexpensive dish soap to use for cleaning toilets, and a few other things. Their Fresh produce is hit or miss so I cruise that aisle if I'm in the store anyway but don't count on their supply.
I find you have to check the expiration dates everywhere now since the supply change is just “catching up”. That stuff on the boats off the coast gets older every day.

Still can't get store brand diet lemon lime or raspberry soda. Bread aisles empty except for the expensive "artisan" breads which are $6 - $7 a loaf. Bagged salad mixes are available, but twice the price they were 6 months ago and look like they've been there 6 months - all wilted and yucky in the bag. No store brand plain no-fat yogurt. I got vanilla, though - a fair substitute.

I find that to be very true. Things in the past that didn't seem to be a problem are now very much suspect!
Especially if it's coming from China if this report is true...

...and also watch out for home stores.. some supermarkets and smaller corner stores changing dates on 'fresh items' meat & fish & fresh veggies .. they did it before this shortage, they'll be very much quicker to do it again now...

Not this week but a couple of weeks ago when I went to the larger "sister" supermarket under the same umbrella as our local one. I'm glad I didn't take a bus because it would have been a waste of time (waiting) and money. My grandson and I were out and about and he took me. They had only one box of Bromley decaffeinated green tea, no Golden cheese blintzes and potato pancakes and no Alexia sweet potato puffs. Those were the only things I went there to get! Very disappointing shopping trip.

Not this week but a couple of weeks ago when I went to the larger "sister" supermarket under the same umbrella as our local one. I'm glad I didn't take a bus because it would have been a waste of time (waiting) and money. My grandson and I were out and about and he took me. They had only one box of Bromley decaffeinated green tea, no Golden cheese blintzes and potato pancakes and no Alexia sweet potato puffs. Those were the only things I went there to get! Very disappointing shopping trip.
Carbs, carbs, carbs, my blood sugar would be relieved to find no carbs on the store, like you, I would not be happy.

I hate that when you make a special trip to somewhere out of the way because you know you would always get what you want there, and then you find they have nothing in stock you want to buy....deflated,😞 and as you say wasted a trip

I hate that when you make a special trip to somewhere out of the way because you know you would always get what you want there, and then you find they have nothing in stock you want to buy....deflated,😞 and as you say wasted a trip
I know..right! When my son gets his car back I'll ask him to check the Shoprite again whenever he and my DIL go shopping.

I know..right! When my son gets his car back I'll ask him to check the Shoprite again whenever he and my DIL go shopping.
Good idea, then you'll know exactly when stock is in..

We used to have a really great app online here which would scour all the supermarkets in a given area for whatever items and tell you which supermarkets had those items in stock, and also compare their prices against each other.. but like all the best Apps it's gone. the website is up for sale.. for some reason they couldn't have been making a profit, it's a shame because it saved so many wasted journeys

This week it wasn't as much as what I couldn't get as what I thought reasonable to pay. I wanted to get some ground sirloin, but they only had what is termed "ground beef". I like to get specific cuts - if it just says "beef" it could be anything off a cow. Thy had packages of ground beef, none under $10. I went to the store's web page and they are getting $6.99 a pound.

beef.jpg

Last edited:
I check most name-brand stores for what I'm wanting on my list. As that way, they tell me if it's in stock & also what aisle it's in so I don't have to run all over the store.

Today, I looked up stuff at W Mart here in town. Said everything was in stock & gave me the aisle number. So I also had to go to Lafayette to get my scripts from the drug store. So I checked everything there also at Meijers. Only about 1/2 mile from the hospital pharmacy. They said everything was in stock & also gave me the aisle number.

Well, I went there about one hr. after I checked & left home. Only had 1/2 the things I had on my list. So I got my medicine came home then went to our W Mart. Again they did have the other 1/2 of the things I didn't get at Meijers.

So in order to get everything I wanted I had to use two stores. That's the problem living out in the country. They do not deliver anything out here. Trying to get stocked up for when the nurse calls & says time for my knee replacement.

I check most name-brand stores for what I'm wanting on my list. As that way, they tell me if it's in stock & also what aisle it's in so I don't have to run all over the store.

Today, I looked up stuff at W Mart here in town. Said everything was in stock & gave me the aisle number.
Unfortunately none of our supermarkets have that facility online , so we can't check stock numbers, much less what aisle they're in ... I wish we could .

Good idea to get as stocked up as possible before you get your OP and can't get out for a while...

They’re called a variety of names. Swedish Berries, a red jelly candy. Walmart always had them and the variety flavour packs for $2. None on the shelves.

I simply can't get bottled carbonated water. Water isn't scarce here, so there must be a shortage of CO2. I've never been able to get brown lentils in any of the main supermarkets, but there's a big Asian supermarket where I can get large bags of them. It's also one of the few places that I can get mutton.

Back