What I couldn't get this week shopping

I still have a buttload of TP and I didn't hafta hoard it.
To be clear, I didn't hoard TP or anything else during the crisis. By coincidence I had a pretty good supply when the shortages hit, and managed to keep a good supply throughout. It just so happened that I was running low last week and it was a strange momentary reminder of how things were a year ago.

You can easily buy frozen mushrooms, Holly? Lucky you!

Trader Joe's carries them here, haven't seen them anywhere else. I sometimes saute a batch of fresh mushrooms and freeze them in quart ziplocks, but it would be a lot easier to buy them.

@Jules, only one food chain (Smart & Final) near me carries frozen peppers at a reasonable price: 2 lbs. of mixed red, green & yellow pepper strips for $4.00.

The store runs out of stock now and then so if I notice them while shopping I snag a few bags.
Yes absolutely easily, in every supermarket chain...(y)

No luck. They don’t sell the even frozen peppers. Last week fresh peppers were $6 for 3. That was the sale price. The week before I bought a pack of 6 small ones for that price and wondered if I was paying too much. Guess not.

All the stores seem to be short of vitamins. This has been for months.
No vitamin shortage here. In fact I bought some Vit Bcomplex in the Vitamin store ( holland & Barrett ) just last week and they're doing a buy one get one for a Penny . which is something they've been doing of several times a year for years.

Then when I got home I found I still had a bottle of 500 I bought last year from Costco..so I've got a lot to keep me going for a while

Sorry to hear you can't get frozen chopped mixed peppers.. they're such a staple here..., and we keep loads in the freezers to use most days..

To be clear, I didn't hoard TP or anything else during the crisis. By coincidence I had a pretty good supply when the shortages hit, and managed to keep a good supply throughout. It just so happened that I was running low last week and it was a strange momentary reminder of how things were a year ago.
I know. I wasn't accusing. *Smiles* I just bought normally and had plenty. When it got bad I would get either paper towels or napkins as back up just in case. Some of those are still sitting in the closet. Thank God they didn't run out of Seabond. LOL

There’s one large store I don’t like but they tend to carry more frozen products so decided to check them out this morning. It was strange to see gaps in some particular brands. No logic. Must just be supply. Wanted four things, came home with many more. Forgot to look in the frozen aisle. I had wanted ice cream treats so saved that area for last. Last never happened.

I was down to a single roll of TP before I knew there was a shortage and a lady offer me one of her TP’s for the price of two and I bought it from her. I will NEVER be short of TP again. I am well stocked. No shortages here.

Frozen peppers and onions have always been hard to find here. Only a couple of stores sell them (and they are the stores I generally do not go to). When I occasionally go to those stores, I buy quite a few.

As for toilet paper, in February 2020 the store I go to had a fantastic sale on it ($5 for 18 double rolls) but you had to buy in multiples of 2 to get the price. I already had some but I still bought 2 packages. A month later when the Covid shortage hit, I was very glad I did. By the time I needed it again, it wasn't hard to find.

Last edited:
I can't find normal toilet paper, only those mega rolls. I don't like those mega rolls. They don't fit well on the thing you hang them on in the bathroom. You can get them on the little bar ok, but they don't roll because they're pinned against the wall. So when you pull on the end piece, it just tears off, and you just have to keep pulling off one square at a time until you figure you've got a sufficient number of squares stacked up in your hand to do an adequate job, and you have to keep doing that until the roll is about half used up and it can unroll freely.

There is something satisfying about the moment that happens, but it doesn't make up for all the other days prior.

I can't find normal toilet paper, only those mega rolls. I don't like those mega rolls. They don't fit well on the thing you hang them on in the bathroom. You can get them on the little bar ok, but they don't roll because they're pinned against the wall. So when you pull on the end piece, it just tears off, and you just have to keep pulling off one square at a time until you figure you've got a sufficient number of squares stacked up in your hand to do an adequate job, and you have to keep doing that until the roll is about half used up and it can unroll freely.

There is something satisfying about the moment that happens, but it doesn't make up for all the other days prior.
Poor thing, life is so hard.

remember when you had to go to several stores to get the worst toilet paper ever? And now you are complaining about mega rolls 😂😂😂. Sorry, I can not relate, I am just so happy to have my TP. I hug it every time I get a roll out. 😍

Be grateful for what you have. 🙏🏻 “Dear Lord, thank you for the toilet paper”.

Poor thing, life is so hard.

remember when you had to go to several stores to get the worst toilet paper ever? And now you are complaining about mega rolls 😂😂😂. Sorry, I can not relate, I am just so happy to have my TP. I hug it every time I get a roll out. 😍

Be grateful for what you have. 🙏🏻 “Dear Lord, thank you for the toilet paper”.
My bad.

But they don't fit in the toilet paper caddy, either. 🥺

My store is missing the biscotti cookies I enjoy with coffee in the mornings. I've checked the last 2-3 weeks and the shelf is still empty. Can't imagine why there would be a supply problem with cookies but it is rather irritating.

Yippee. I found frozen peppers today. Bought some even though I still have fresh.

Kept thinking there was another frozen vegetable I wanted to look for. Duh, mushrooms.
just a reminder...:LOL:
IMG-0238.jpg

Didn't we all notice some out-of-stocks before February 2020, and shrug them off as annoyances rather than a larger pattern?

In the beginning of the pandemic most outages could be attributed to manufacturing interruptions, hoarding, and utilization changes (e.g. more demand for ketchup packets instead of bottled ketchup), but is there much of that going on anymore?

That said, despite efforts by stock market analysts to deemphasize the statistics, prices on consumer goods are going up, including food.

Back