What Is It? - #11

Good guess, SeaBreeze...I forgot about the dickies. Another thing - maybe something to make those darts in the back of the dress shirts??

Wow, I am totally lost on guessing what that thing was used for. I was working my way to the bottom of the thread, because I thought maybe it was used for winding up a clock or something similar, but that obviously can't be it, if it has something to do with cotton. And that is planted in the spring, not harvested, so I have no clue at all how one of those might be used. When do we get to find it the answer ?

Flowerlady, I've searched and searched; :D and guess I give up. Maybe someone else will come up with it, if not, then SifuPhil will give us the answer. He has hints throughout this thread, but I just can't put it all together.

I used to have a tan colored "car coat" with wooden barrel shaped buttons that fastened by placing in a loop. Is this the gizmo that makes that loop?? These buttons are not what I was looking for, but similar enough...

Nothing to do
With barrels or ties
But when it's used rightly
It alters a size

Well ... not quite a size
But more like a length
And THAT is this strange little
Gizmo's real strength.

:cool:

I QUIT! That's it. And, of course, I'll be kicking myself when we learn the answer . . . OH! I knew that!!!

Well, I have a consolation prize for you when the contest is over ...

A man's corset stretcher???? (if there is such a thing)

No, not a - what?!? :p

Is it a shirt cuff former. or lenghtener?

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

SeaBreeze gets the correct answer !!!

This little gem is a man's sleeve "gatherer" - it's designed to hold up excessively long sleeves, or to keep one's sleeves rolled up, by gathering surplus material. The device is clamped on the shirt sleeve, the material caught by the small pins, then the stem drive is wound to take up the material. To release you just compress the spring and the device comes away clean.

Or, as the original patent from December 1899 says, it is "a device for holding shirt sleeves or other like purposes".

Great answers, all! Take yourselves a well-earned rest.

... you'll need it, because my NEXT one won't be so easy ... :cool:

Wow. I had in my mind that it was something for a collar or tie, guess not........ :D Fun game!!!! Seabreeze, I'd forgotten about 'car coats'; I had one of those myself!! :lol:

I don't mind sharing the credit R.Zimm, lol...after all my answer wasn't actually "spot on" either. ;) Hey, after five pages of guesses in this thread, one of us had to come close eventually...would've taken it to 50 pages...I know Sifu wouldn't mind. He likes dangling that carrot and teasing us, sometimes I feel like a Greyhound at a racetrack...almost getting the prize, but never quite. :playful:

I agree it's a fun game, regardless of how frustrating. :p Thanks SifuPhil! :thanks:

Even after youve told me, im still non the wiser. :(

my-brain-hurts.jpg

What I wonder is if Phil is taking pictures of of items he owns and we are seeing the wee tip of a very large iceberg! It is a fun game in that each of us has about the same random chance of having some clue what these items are and besides, it's great for alzheimer's prevention!

What I wonder is if Phil is taking pictures of of items he owns and we are seeing the wee tip of a very large iceberg! It is a fun game in that each of us has about the same random chance of having some clue what these items are and besides, it's great for alzheimer's prevention!

If he owns these things...we should make a game of observing his idiosyncrasies and figuring out who the real Sifu is, and what makes him tick. Good memory and mental exercise for us all. :p

Back