What Is It? - #22

Embalming tool = warmer; Enema giver = right track; Lobotomy tool = medical instrument... So, maybe something to do with dead guys? It's a zombie stopper.

An old tool like dentists use to suck the water out of your mouth??

Don't know what those things are, but wouldn't want them anywhere near my body... ugh!... exhibit A (right) especially looks totally unsanitary - not that the other one doesn't also. :eek:mg:

A sinus sucker?

LOL - no, but it DOES suck, after a fashion ... ;)

Don't know what those things are, but wouldn't want them anywhere near my body... ugh!... exhibit A (right) especially looks totally unsanitary - not that the other one doesn't also. :eek:mg:

Aw, what's a little dirt and grime and unidentifiable tissue among friends? :playful:

A blood-letting instrument/leech?

DING! DING! DING!

Aaaaand we have a winner!

Congratulations to SeaBreeze for her correctly identifying this What Is It? as a blood-letting instrument or mechanical leech.

bloodletting_artificial_leech_Kittel_out.2.jpg

This piece was actually one-half of a finely-made set called the Heurteloup Artificial Leech from the maker C.F. Kittel, Berlin. This mechanical leech, invented in the 1840s, by Baron Charles Louis Heurteloup (1793-1864), was specifically designed for bloodletting in the area about the eye.

A cut was made in the skin by the round and hollow rotating blade on the right. The rotation was powered by pulling a cord that wraps around a shaft to which the blade is attached.

Once an incision was made, the open end of the glass cylinder "cup" on the left was pressed over it. The piston within the cylinder was then raised by turning the winged-nut, thus creating a vacuum in the glass cylinder and drawing blood from the cut.

How is it related to wine? RED wine ... (*groans and dire oaths*)

Congrats again, and everyone give a nice round of applause to SeaBreeze!

Yaay, that was another hard one! When you said embalming was close, and it was a medical instrument, got me thinking along those lines. :D

Blood and wine. Oh, I get it now . . .

stock-photo-beautiful-vampire-woman-holding-a-glass-of-red-drink-raster-version-94366873.jpg

The pictures you are showing us at the end are NOT the same as the 2 pictures you are showing us at the beginning..
One is the same but for sure, one is completely different..

But, that's OK as we are here to have fun anyway........

The pictures you are showing us at the end are NOT the same as the 2 pictures you are showing us at the beginning..
One is the same but for sure, one is completely different..

But, that's OK as we are here to have fun anyway........

Steve -

Phil said:
This piece was actually one-half of a finely-made set ...

No trickery intended - in the original post they're both leeches; I chose only the first one to discuss in more detail. Also, the cutter itself is technically not a leech, so that picture wasn't used in the original post.

Hope that clears things up, and thanks for playing! :D

Back