What is the fascination for grandchildren?

Loneliness not working too many hours alone and like many say with having their own gives the awards of reliving youthful everythings.
Yes, I can understand that. Children can benefit from the free time which grandparents have. When I had my own children, I spent time with them, taking them out and sharing things things with them. If I had grandchildren, I would be doing the same with them.
At the moment, I'm making a miniature garden and it's something which a child would enjoy.

When my first grandchild was born I told my daughter that I was the mother of the mother, and my role was to help her to raise her child. Little did either of us know that my granddaughter has a genetic variation that caused her to require the support of both of us as long as we live. My relationship with my eldest grandchild is ongoing and very special.

I have 5 other grand children and I am proud of them all. They have all turned out to be decent men and women and I know that they love Hubby and I. As children they spent a lot of time with us in our home, the local park, having swimming lessons and learning to drive. I believe we have imprinted them with family values of love, commitment and responsibility. My job is done.

The next generation has begun. We have a great grandson now and he has three great grandmothers, one great grandfather (Hubby). two grandmothers, one grandfather, and a swag of aunties and uncles. During COVID times I saw him infrequently in the flesh but Facebook kept me in touch with photos and short videos. He will soon be two years old and is an absolute delight to be around. I am happy to remain in the back row of his extended family because it is unlikely that I will live to see him grow up. If he remembers me fondly as a benevolent presence, that is all that I ask.

I have enough money to be generous to his mother, making sure that she has some money to spend on herself. Before the birth I took her shopping for maternity clothes, afterwards I gave her money to buy new clothes so that she could feel presentable and attractive. She asks for nothing but I still remember what it feels like to always put others before yourself when money is tight.

My relationship with each of my three grand daughters is different but in each case is one of mutual love. I love the three boys too but they are less attentive. We only have to make a phone call though and they are all here to help their grandfather with some work around the home. When we have a family get together, the six grandchildren plus their six partners enjoy each others company, playing games and making music. My heart sings with joy to see them still in close relationship with each other.

Your grandchildren are the fruit of your fruit!

iu

Back