What is the super cheapskate habit you have?

I found large cans of generic coffee on sale at Wal-Mart. Am beginning to fill my clothing closet with these and other common bulk items. I recently found that putting some pumpkin spice in with the coffee, in the filter has created massive new taste sensations. Maybe this is enlightenment.

I found large cans of generic coffee on sale at Wal-Mart. Am beginning to fill my clothing closet with these and other common bulk items. I recently found that putting some pumpkin spice in with the coffee, in the filter has created massive new taste sensations. Maybe this is enlightenment.
It's enlightenment for the month of October. Due to Halloween.
Everything is pumpkin spice; martinis, coffees, ice cream, etc

Enjoy.

I like recycling paper plates.
We buy the non-coated kind and keep used ones with other woodstove supplies. We can tear them up or leave them whole with a handful of small wood bits on them to get fire going good again when it gets low at night. We also make own fire starters from the toilet paper cardboard roll stuffed with dryer lint.

Last edited:
I read and interact with the discussions here. It saves me subscribing to paid TV services and is much more entertaining in my personal experience. Being here is like a town hall meeting, a three ring circus, exploring historical matters, a trip to the library and the art museum, all rolled up into one place. I’ve spent much more and received much less after doing so. SF has saved me a bundle! I try to come back often too so that those Google ads generate a bit of revenue to allow our host the means to keep such fine entertainment free, for a cheapskate like me. 😉

I'm so d@mn forgetful that I have to write notes in order to remind myself of what the heck I have to do on a daily basis. Instead of buying note pads, I used the back of envelopes from junk mail. Once they are filled with notes and the tasks are completed, I put the paper in the recycle bin.

A long forgotten cheapskate habit I had years ago: remember those old Book of the Month Club ads? You could get 4 or 5 hard cover books for only $1 and could cancel your membership at any time. In those days they also had book clubs for subjects such as History, War, Science Fiction, Mystery, Classic Literature, Crime, and other topics. I would take advantage of the sale, cancel my membership, join another club, and cancel that membership as well. Maybe a couple of years passes by and I do the same thing again. Got many really good books that way.

Still another thing I did was to go to the many used books shops we had in Brooklyn and in NYC in the old days. You could buy an arm full of books for a dollar back then. What a time it was for inveterate readers like me!

this almost brings tears to my eyes:

old book stores on montague street brooklyn - Bing images

We had so many used books stores on Montague Streets and on nearby Willoughby Street in down town Brooklyn.

Montague Street Crisis: Heights Books | Brooklyn Heights Blog

A dusty, musty guide to Brooklyn's used bookstores (brokelyn.com)

Book Row in Manhattan:

Book Row - Wikipedia

As I wrote above, for a dollar or two you could get an arm full of good books. There was also a time in NY when a person finished reading a book he/she would leave it in a public place such as a park bench with a note which said, ''it's yours for FREE, enjoy it" or some other such message. I got a couple of books that way. When I finished reading it, I returned the favor by leaving the book on a bench or subway with a note containing the same message. And if a page had been torn by the previous reader, I made very sure to tape it up so that the book would be in better shape after I used it.

I don't remember if I posted this before, but my husband says I'm cheap. If I see something for myself that I like I say "When I need it I'll buy it." then he calls me cheap. his has been going on since we married and he was in the Navy. I would answer then that if I wasn't cheap we wouldn't be able to buy what he needed. After 50yrs this is still going on.

I save plastic wrap. Put it on the fridge with a magnet then any other pieces readily stick to it.
I reuse plastic sandwich bags over and over.
Same with plastic take away containers.
I reuse aluminium foil
I reuse paper plates if they are not dirty
I buy those items that are on super special because the use buy date is nigh. Freeze these items

Last edited:
This morning I used the oven on the stove for the first time in a long time.

It was cold this morning so when I finished with the stove I turned it off and opened the door a couple of inches to let the heat flow out to take the chill off.
I've been doing that too lately. Open the door all the way tho, to heat up the kitchen while I'm getting the rest of my dinner ready.

Am an expert at traveling in California legally dispersed camping, sleeping inside my Forester, avoiding paying for lodging. During winter when it is cold, I spend plenty of time in paid Tahoe lodging while skiing. The rest of the year it is easy to avoid though definitely more difficult along coastal regions. The notion of sleeping parked along deserted rural dirt roads is the kind of thing that will scare many.

Am an expert at traveling in California legally dispersed camping, sleeping inside my Forester, avoiding paying for lodging. During winter when it is cold, I spend plenty of time in paid Tahoe lodging while skiing. The rest of the year it is easy to avoid though definitely more difficult along coastal regions. The notion of sleeping parked along deserted rural dirt roads is the kind of thing that will scare many.
I have thoughts of camping in my Jeep JL in national parks. Need to learn more about bears, concealed carry, and avoiding human predators.

Make it a habit to park the car and walk instead of parking where the meters are.
Pack a picnic and go to the park if weather is nice (instead of eating at restaurant). Or stay at home and cook.:)
Reuse plastic bags like many here.
Printed paper gets turned over and reused on the blank side
Turn off lights
Switched to LED lights (inside house and Christmas lights) so they would last longer - don't know if that's cheaper...
Not a fashion nut and rarely shop - comfortable with mixing and matching what I have - basic blacks, whites, beiges, browns
Use Library, Internet.Archive, and Youtube for free stuff
Take free classes online

I have thoughts of camping in my Jeep JL in national parks. Need to learn more about bears, concealed carry, and avoiding human predators.
That is a complex subject that depends on policies of specific government jurisdictions including each state. Unlike during the era we grew up in, today there is dominant policy restricting where vehicles can park along public roads. Such policies arose after the rise of vans in the 1970's, quickly after RV's recreational vehicles appeared, and more recently with the rise of homelessness. Generally, lodging and tourist interests for the sake of more revenue push for such laws. One can learn about such policies web searching with say "dispersed camping" or "boondocking".

Back