What Kind Of Dog Is It?

Our 2nd dog looked like a black lab with longer legs and tail .. his mother was a white German Shepherd. All his life, he had one white hair on the back of his neck - "a gift from his mother", I called it. That was Mackie.

In Oz, we had a Shepherd, Max. Big boy he was:
View attachment 91076
LOL, my Shepherd looked just like yours and his name was also Max. That's the name his former owner gave him and I liked the name and figured Max was used to the name. I had to have him euthanized at 14 when his back legs became paralyzed. He was such a sweety!

LOL, my Shepherd looked just like yours and his name was also Max. That's the name his former owner gave him and I liked the name and figured Max was used to the name. I had to have him euthanized at 14 when his back legs became paralyzed. He was such a sweety!
That is unfortunately what became of our Max too :cry: It was sad to see him dragging his legs. They are lovely dogs. I reckon there are millions of German Shepherds name Max out there :)

And mutts are also genetically stronger, smarter, and tougher. I don't breed my pets, so as long as I like their looks, I don't care about their ''papers".

Yes, and where you said "genetically stronger," people who insist on purebreds for no reason other than thinking it's some kind of status symbol should be informed "mutts" are less likely to have serious/lifethreatening medical issues that they can have difficulty living with and even die early because of.
People who want a canine (or feline) friend = adopt a mixed-breed from a shelter.

tenor.gif
My son has one --soft as mi cap

Yes, and where you said "genetically stronger," people who insist on purebreds for no reason other than thinking it's some kind of status symbol should be informed "mutts" are less likely to have serious/lifethreatening medical issues that they can have difficulty living with and even die early because of.
People who want a canine (or feline) friend = adopt a mixed-breed from a shelter.
I think the ''sloping backs'' of purebred Shepherds adds to their visual attractiveness, but that is a trait bred into them that causes lots of arthritis and pain in their hips during their older years. Such a shame!

I think the ''sloping backs'' of purebred Shepherds adds to their visual attractiveness, but that is a trait bred into them that causes lots of arthritis and pain in their hips during their older years. Such a shame!

Degenerative Spinal Disorder?

Many breeds do have conditions common to their breeds, but even issues such as cancer are more common in purebreds. Supposedly, both are due to the habit of inbreeding- which unfortunately occurs often in so-called puppy mills.

From the internet:

"The 4-year-old Maltese and Papillon mix has fluffy gray ears that are nearly as tall as her head. Their scale, in addition to their rounded shape, has affectionately earned her the nickname of Mickey Mouse dog. Goma is seemingly unaware of her unusually large ears."

When I was a kid,the people on the corner had a Bedlington.Since our street was on a hill,they had a concrete wall with heavy duty wire on top,so the dog was at eye level when we passed on our walk to school. He/she? would run down one side of the fence,then down the other as we turned the corner. I was always fascinated by the dog,as I had never seen one before-nor have I ever seen one since,except at dog shows. I`ll have to look up what their temperaments are,why more people don`t have them. I know,like the Poodle,they are hypoallergenic,so it seems they would be more popular. I do think I remember hearing that they are not very smart....

We used to call crossbreeds "mutts''. They were never less lovable, however.

Today's breeders hit paydirt and took the public for a big ride with this "designer dogs" B.S. for exorbitant prices.

I won't repeat my rant about the Kennel Clubs demanding mutilations of some dogs as the "standard of the breed" or the other problems they have caused dogs.
We called them "Heinz 57".

Had about 4 grandkids on the trampoline one day and a young dog we had never seen before came up and jumped on the trampoline with the kids. And the dog actually "jumped" on the trampoline. Found out later he belonged to a neighbor 2 doors down. Max came over several times that summer just to jump on the trampoline. Even when the kids weren't on it!

Back