What motivates you?

Well...I just read that people who don't exercise have an much bigger chance of dying from cancer. Also, dance music is a great motivator for me. When the senior center was open, I sometimes led the hour exercise sessions and seeing how our exercise group enjoys new and different music and exercises was a big motivator. But the center closed at the end of April and I don't know if we'll ever be able to go back.

Last edited:
On the post about reading and walking, at the very large park I go to, I see some people walking and looking at their phones. The times I came up behind, it look to me that they were texting or watching a video/show/movie. Said people never seem to be walking at a good paste for obvious reasons. I don't carry a phone while walking because my walk is priority ONE. Different strokes for different folks.

What motivates me is that I feel better about myself after exercise. It's psychological.

Pre-COVID19, I exercised at the gym doing aerobics 6 days a week and a body pump class 3 days. Even though the gym has reopened by appointment, I'm not comfortable being around people with the coronavirus lurking.

Since early March, I have been walking 4 miles every morning at the park. One lap is slightly more than a mile. However, I walk up tempo, many times lapping slower walkers to burn calories, for good circulation, and to improve heart rate. I miss body pump because that is what I did for strengthening but better safe than sorry as the epidemic envelopes the country.

I was looking for videos regarding the care of art supplies and a video relating to art but commenting on motivation popped up. The artist said one of the things he learned that changed his life is that action comes before motivation. Once one acts, that serves as motivation to continue. I find that in some cases that's true.

Well...I just read that people who don't exercise have an much bigger chance of dying from cancer. Also, dance music is a great motivator for me. When the senior center was open, I sometimes led the hour exercise sessions and seeing how our exercise group enjoys new and different music and exercises was a big motivator. But the center closed at the end of April and I don't know if we'll ever be able to go back.
I get tired of hearing on the news all we can die of already, hey if I die from this or that then I die and that will be it for me. I'm not going to live in fear of everything I do or don't do anymore. I've left instructions how to care and feed the pet family and that's all that matters to me. I'm old and I know I'm going to die of something sooner or later and another disease will take some years off of my life but that said, I am going to enjoy being the way I am and doing the things I do and LOVE--some are good for me and some are not...but who is perfect and who lives forever...so you can give me the wow emoji if you like for being honest... :ROFLMAO:;)

Last edited:
I teach line dancing here in my community. However, since Covid the facilities are closed. I was walking but it's way too hot now even in early morning/evening. I just started to put on the music I use to teach to and began to do it here at home. I started back with only a half hour and will try to work up to an hour.
What motivates me is my health. I haven't had much energy without some exercise. I know from years of teaching ballet and jazz that energy begets energy and the longer your remain sedentary the more you want to remain so.

I get tired of hearing on the news all we can die of already, hey if I die from this or that then I die and that will be it for me. I'm not going to live in fear of everything I do or don't do anymore. I've left instructions how to care and feed the pet family and that's all that matters to me. I'm old and I know I'm going to die of something sooner or later and another disease will take some years off of my life but that said, I am going to enjoy being the way I am and doing the things I do and LOVE--some are good for me and some are not...but who is perfect and who lives forever...so you can give me the wow emoji if you like for being honest... :ROFLMAO:;)
Actually, I'm giving you a laugh emoji Ruthanne because sometimes I feel exactly as you do. LOL But sometimes, being the Pisces I am (ya know...2 fish going in opposite directions), I feel just the opposite. :D

The "Just DO it, fer cryin' out loud" system works fairly well for me. If I start overthinking something or arguing with myself about whether to do it now or later, or even thinking too much about why I need to do it, that leads to procrastination and probably never doing it.

On the post about reading and walking, at the very large park I go to, I see some people walking and looking at their phones. The times I came up behind, it look to me that they were texting or watching a video/show/movie. Said people never seem to be walking at a good paste for obvious reasons. I don't carry a phone while walking because my walk is priority ONE. Different strokes for different folks.

What motivates me is that I feel better about myself after exercise. It's psychological.

Pre-COVID19, I exercised at the gym doing aerobics 6 days a week and a body pump class 3 days. Even though the gym has reopened by appointment, I'm not comfortable being around people with the coronavirus lurking.

Since early March, I have been walking 4 miles every morning at the park. One lap is slightly more than a mile. However, I walk up tempo, many times lapping slower walkers to burn calories, for good circulation, and to improve heart rate. I miss body pump because that is what I did for strengthening but better safe than sorry as the epidemic envelopes the country.
I read that it’s better to vary your speed when walking so I walk slow and super slow. I walk a minimum of 8000 steps a day except on days when I can’t walk which is few right now. If it were not medically necessary, I would not walk.

I teach line dancing here in my community. However, since Covid the facilities are closed. I was walking but it's way too hot now even in early morning/evening. I just started to put on the music I use to teach to and began to do it here at home. I started back with only a half hour and will try to work up to an hour.
What motivates me is my health. I haven't had much energy without some exercise. I know from years of teaching ballet and jazz that energy begets energy and the longer your remain sedentary the more you want to remain so.
So true of me 😂

Years ago Stephen King was walking while reading, or so I read, and was hit by a likewise distracted driver. He sustained some broken bones and ribs and I think a punctured lung as well.
i had no idea. damn books are too fascinating. lol! i haven't done much reading in a long time. makes me too sleepy & i got other stuff to do.

Work motivates me. Unlike many who loathe going to work, I look forward to the challenges at work everyday. A big plus is I like the "kids" I mentor, we teach each other our first language. Hopefully, I'd be conversant in a few languages. With such an environment, how can I not love work?

The Lord almighty is my motivation to make the best of every day and for the most part I do however after 50 years of working I'm so damn lazy that I absolutely refuse to walk anywhere, I won't even walk across the street. I'll get in my car, make a u-turn and park it get what I need then reverse the process.

Back