What scents are locked away in your mind from your childhood ?

One of my very first jobs when I was a teenager was "stripping" at a printing company. We used exacto knives and rubber cement. We rolled the used rubber glue into big round balls that you could bounce around. The odor was unforgettable ...used to love sniffing it. Guess it would get you high if you inhaled enough...what did we know?!

Also rubber tires. A good friend of the family had a car repair/tire shop and it always smelled like rubber. Love that smell, and gunpowder. We'd go hunting pheasants in the fall and shooting skeet. The shotgun shell smells were so memorable.

Elderly men had an unusual "aroma" about them. It was neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Mentioned this once back-in-the-day to my BFF and he agreed. I wonder if all young kids experienced this sensation.

If so, I wonder if the kiddos today think that I emanate the same :eek:

And I suspect that every guy recalls the aroma of a perfume from his 1st crush. Not a crush in my case but rather an experience with a girl who asked me to dance several times, lady's choice, big, shy, stumbling me who never asked anyone to dance and who couldn't even do a decent slow dance.

The guys were taken with this girl, thought she was belle-of-the-ball but in actuality she was merely different or exotic with hair down to the middle of her back when the prevailing style was bangs (early 1960). Recall from 1950's grade school days, she was rather snotty as a child.

But because of all the hype about her, my heart went slightly aflutter, and the aroma (later learned to be "My Sin" perfume) or thoughts of same caused that flutter for a number of years afterward.

(Silly male.)

Last edited:
The fragrance of orange tree blossoms and foliage from my grandmother's property in Arizona.....long gone now.
Swimming pool chlorine....whenever I smell it I recall the club my family belonged to 50 years ago.
Firecracker smoke.....when I smell it I recall Chinese New Year celebrations from 50 years ago.
The aroma of old books.....our club had a library too....when I wasn't hanging around the pool I was in the library.
The smell of chlorine is a good one .

Elderly men had an unusual "aroma" about them. It was neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Mentioned this once back-in-the-day to my BFF and he agreed. I wonder if all young kids experienced this sensation.

If so, I wonder if the kiddos today think that I emanate the same
:eek:

And I suspect that every guy recalls the aroma of a perfume from his 1st crush. Not a crush in my case but rather an experience with a girl who asked me to dance several times, lady's choice, big, shy, stumbling me who never asked anyone to dance and who couldn't even do a decent slow dance.

The guys were taken with this girl, thought she was belle-of-the-ball but in actuality she was merely different or exotic with hair down to the middle of her back when the prevailing style was bangs (early 1960). Recall from 1950's grade school days, she was rather snotty as a child.

But because of all the hype about her, my heart went slightly aflutter, and the aroma (later learned to be "My Sin" perfume) or thoughts of same caused that flutter for a number of years afterward.

(Silly male.)
Bath or shower once daily and change your underpants, socks and shirt daily, you should be able to separate yourself from that distinguished old man smell club. :)

Oh my ... Maypo! It cost more than regular maple syrup but I pestered my mother to get it. Then didn't like the taste! Not a pleased mother (aside from not having to buy it again, no doubt). Not sure if she made us consume it all ... I draw a blank there.

Oh my ... Maypo! It cost more than regular maple syrup but I pestered my mother to get it. Then didn't like the taste! Not a pleased mother (aside from not having to buy it again, no doubt). Not sure if she made us consume it all ... I draw a blank there.
Thank you for posting your story, Devi, as I had never heard of "Maypo" before.

I can still remember the smell on Sunday Mornings of my Mom cooking her Gravy for our Sunday dinner.
When mom and dad had a little extra money leftover from payday, mom would make a special Sunday night supper, and I remember the favourite in our house was roast beef, with gravy, carrots, potatoes, and Yorkshire Puddings, and the aroma in the house was heavenly.

Back