What to do with old greeting cards?

RB-TX

I have a small stack of old greeting cards; birthday, special holidays, etc. They are nice, and I appreciate the thought, so I hate to throw them away. But honestly, I looked at each card one time only and never again, but knowing the sender spent some outrageous amount on the card I feel guilty and just keep adding new cards to the stack.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Bob

I have a small stack of old greeting cards; birthday, special holidays, etc. They are nice, and I appreciate the thought, so I hate to throw them away. But honestly, I looked at each card one time only and never again, but knowing the sender spent some outrageous amount on the card I feel guilty and just keep adding new cards to the stack.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Bob
Yes. I have the same problem and was looking for a solution.
I think I'm going to scan them all into my computer and then discard them.
I often thought of sending back all those pictures of the kids to them.

Providing they do not have glitter on I put them in the paper/cardboard recycle bin. Any that are really important to me e.g from Austria or Czech Republic I have kept. Perhaps put them in order of what they mean to you and then work from there. 😊

They all go in the recycling bin even those given to me by my o/h... but not my ''child''..she's 44 years old and I have every mothers' day/Christmas & Birthday card she's ever sent in a box in the attic.. just can't bring myself to throw them out
That's really :love: + hollydolly. I have kept all my brother's cards over the years and so glad that I did. I think it's nice to see all the different cards that your daughter sent as she grew up and how they might have changed with her age. It might be 'nice' for her to look through them at a later date.

That's really :love: + hollydolly. I have kept all my brother's cards over the years and so glad that I did. I think it's nice to see all the different cards that your daughter sent as she grew up and how they might have changed with her age. It might be 'nice' for her to look through them at a later date.
I always feel that I would have liked to have had the chance to see things I'd sent to my own mother when I was a child, but she died young and nothing was kept, so that's why I do it for my own daughter. She's completely uninterested sadly, she hasn't got a sentimental bone in her body, :( but I get them out every few years and look at them from the very first that she wrote and her little messages from when she was 5 years old... and all through her changing teen years , and right up to the present where she now sends me cards from the dogs.. :LOL::love:

I get a greeting card from a bud up north
Usually at Christmas
They're all too funny to toss
The last one was a Halloween card with everything crossed out....wishing a Merry Christmas
and the black cat wearing a santy hat drawn in

Other cards, expensive or not, get tossed if nothing personal written

If my lady finds one exceptionally nice, she'll transpose it to a coffee cup
....I've managed to break most of them

Greeting cards do make good fire starters

I guess I'm a Hoarder, I can't throw away any cards I get from my children and Grandchildren. I read them again and again. They are worth more to me then money. I just reread a card my oldest grandson sent me when He graduated from college 2yrs ago. I cried as much as I did when he sent it. It's Beautiful.

I always feel that I would have liked to have had the chance to see things I'd sent to my own mother when I was a child, but she died young and nothing was kept, so that's why I do it for my own daughter. She's completely uninterested sadly, she hasn't got a sentimental bone in her body, :( but I get them out every few years and look at them from the very first that she wrote and her little messages from when she was 5 years old... and all through her changing teen years , and right up to the present where she now sends me cards from the dogs.. :LOL::love:
She may well change her view about sentimental things as she gets older.

My wife saved them in a military duffel bag to look at as she put it "... when I'm old and decrepit."

But she never did.

People said I had nice penmanship, so for years my wife would pick out the cards along with a scrap of paper naming to whom each card should be sent. I'd address the envelopes and sign the cards for both of us. Despite this teamwork, it'd take eight hrs. on an early Saturday in December to complete the task.

Near the end but even before she showed any signs of dementia, it'd take a half-hour. Kinda sad.

Aunt Bea said, "I would rather throw them out than have someone pawing through them when I die." In the late 1700s & early 1800s, that was the custom. That's why we don't have the letters George Washington wrote to Martha., and a lot of the Founding Fathers. I'm not sure what the custom was in Europe. I often wondered about that. What is the purpose of saving the letters only to burn them when the sender died? You'd think you'd want the letters to remember them more after the death?

I guess I'm a Hoarder, I can't throw away any cards I get from my children and Grandchildren. I read them again and again. They are worth more to me then money. I just reread a card my oldest grandson sent me when He graduated from college 2yrs ago. I cried as much as I did when he sent it. It's Beautiful.

I'll be glad to send you a box full to read (smile).

Back