Entrées at our place
In the '50s

Meat

Hamburger
Hotdogs
Roast beef
Fried chikin

That was pretty much it...when we could afford it
(beans were waaaay too regular for dinner)

However

Liver and onions was slipped into the rotation, unannounced

Never took to it

'Eat it!......it'll give you iron!'

Something about eating an organ

Why not spleen and okra?
or
Pancreas and beets?

Anyway, we mostly had beans on bread
Toss a slice of bread on a plate
Pour beans on it
Eat

Thing is, homemade cake was tossed on the same plate for dessert

To this day I still get a hankering for cake soaked in bean juice

Breakfast;

Oatmeal mostly
Fried eggs and meat some days
Pancakes every Sunday

Eat out?
Nada

Funny you mentioned that. One of my girlfriends had an English father and he ate steak every night. His Aussie wife and four kids had less expensive fare. They all lived in what I think would be the equivalent of a council house.
yes we all grew up in a 'council house'' ( govt housing ).. but then the vast majority of people back then didn't own their own homes...

Mostly A and sometimes B. We didn't eat out very much, no places to go and eat. Mom used a lot of canned foods. Sundays were meat and potatoes like roasts. My mom was not a gardener, all our food came from the grocer.

yes we all grew up in a 'council house'' ( govt housing ).. but then the vast majority of people back then didn't own their own homes...
The Australian dream was always to own your own house on a quarter acre block. Post WW II this became possible. My grandfather always rented but since then every generation has sought to own a house or unit. Today the price of property in the capital cities has made that dream pretty much impossible for the young.

The Australian dream was always to own your own house on a quarter acre block. Post WW II this became possible. My grandfather always rented but since then every generation has sought to own a house or unit. Today the price of property in the capital cities has made that dream pretty much impossible for the young.
the same here..property prices are through the roof here in the South of England.. not so much in the North or Wales.. but here they're eye wateringly expensive..

I know Australias' property prices are through the roof.. even more so than England.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I was sent some prices of property ...in Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.. .. given all the land you have in OZ.. what is the reason for prices being so high?

here it's lack of space for homes, so they come at a premium.. but there ? :unsure:

Pretty much all home cooked meals. North American cuisine in the 60's - meat,potatoes, vegetable. A lot of fresh food and farm bought meat. Gradually expanded to other types in later such as chinese. then my brother and i started to learn how to cook and would venture into new dishes and he went on to be a professional chef.

My mother was a poor cook, and a lazy one. All foods served were of the prepackaged convenience type from the 1950’s and 1960’s. This could be pretty gruesome stuff, like scalloped potatoes that tasted much like the cardboard box that they came in, served with a dried out hamburger. Eating out Saturday night was a real treat as then I could finally get a good meal...

We ate home cooked meals. Meat, 4 vegetables. Every meal except homemade pizza and spaghetti included fresh tomatoes, carrot sticks, and potatoes (my mother was German), plus a canned vegetable. My favorite was liver & onions. My least favorite was any kind of fish. I fed it to my dog.

Snacks were fruit.

We rarely had babysitters. But when we did, we got TV dinners and 1/3 of a coke. That was it for junk food. BUT we did get cookies and cakes on holidays and special occasions. IMO, cookies are a healthy food group, as long as they are homemade, preferably by me.

My mom was a great cook on top of the stove. She just couldn't bake stuff. We never went out to eat. The only time we went out to eat was when I was about 8 or 9. I went to a restaurant-actually it was a couple booths at a local bar, The Pink Elephant Room.. And I was coached to only order something called a "Salisbury Steak", which tasted like a hamburger. To me eating out was McDonalds.

I was full grown and out on my own before TV dinners appeared. The GE fridge that my parents bought in 1940 did not have a freezer. It would freeze ice cubes, but ice cream would not stay frozen in the ice tray compartment.

My father was from North Carolina and my mother had grown up in South Carolina. Effectively I grew up in a southern household on Long Island NY. My tastes tend to be eclectic. One thing that my mother used to make was iced tea with sprigs of mint in it. That was good.

Back