What Was Your First Memory?

I heard a psychologist one time on the radio who said that you don't remember anything before the age of 6. I don't believe that. I have plenty of vivid memories of things and events before I was 6.

It's just another example of how so-called 'experts' often don't know what they're talking about. Some of these individuals even say age 7.

Maybe they meant after.....and dropped the zero

I have a memory from when I was 4yrs old. My Grandmother passed away in the beginning of December. My Mom said we would not be having Christmas that year. She wouldn't let my Dad decorate the house or even put a Christmas tree up. She also said Santa wouldn't be coming that year.When me and my 6yr old sister woke up Christmas morning and went downstairs there were 2 wicker baskets with a doll in each one.
One for my sister and one for me.My Dad couldn't stand the thought of me and my sister not getting something from Santa. I still have the doll and so does my sister
0ecea585042da20c78ef9b051ef487069--antique-dolls-vintage-dolls.jpg

My earliest vivid memory is the flower bed in Grandfather's front yard. He loved colorful pansies.
I look at old photos of me as a child and think: no that couldn't have been me in those goofy short pants with suspenders.

I have a memory from when I was 4yrs old. My Grandmother passed away in the beginning of December. My Mom said we would not be having Christmas that year. She wouldn't let my Dad decorate the house or even put a Christmas tree up. She also said Santa wouldn't be coming that year.When me and my 6yr old sister woke up Christmas morning and went downstairs there were 2 wicker baskets with a doll in each one.
One for my sister and one for me.My Dad couldn't stand the thought of me and my sister not getting something from Santa. I still have the doll and so does my sister
View attachment 104126

I don't believe parents should foist their grief on their children. Your dad was an angel.

I heard a psychologist one time on the radio who said that you don't remember anything before the age of 6. I don't believe that. I have plenty of vivid memories of things and events before I was 6. However, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
absolutely untrue... as I said it had never been discussed in out family ( who btw were expert secret keepers)... that I'd been in that first foster home ( subsequent ones couldn't be hidden because I was older )... but that first one was never mentioned, and I held that memory fairly frsh in my mind until one day mentioned it to my mum... I can still see her wide eyed look as I told her, at the fact I had memory of it , and she told me that she didn't think I could possibly have memory of it because I was just 14 months old, but clearly I had...

My earliest memory is in a moving van. Moving from Kansas to California with mom, dad, brother, and grandma. We were all stuffed in the cab.

Deeply personal events of abuse. I can avoid thinking of them but cannot forget.
Yes, a few of us have memories of abuse, or, no young memories at all due to abuse. I have no memories before the move where I was 4/5. I have a few family stories, a few pictures, but my mind is a blank of those early years. Probably for the best.

I don't remember anything....The only thing, I remember, my mom showed me a picture when I was older, I was playing on our porch and
I fell down the steps....She said she took me to the hospital...
I do remember my first day of school...I was 5 years old....(I forget names, now, at my age)….

I was in a cot and a nurse and doctor were standing over me and examining my chest. For years I wondered why I have a small scar in my chest and one day my mother said that I was born with a cyst there which was removed when I was a baby.

I also remember being in a pram and my brother hanging onto the handle. My mother told him to be careful and not cowp it. (cowp - a Scottish term meaning to overturn / knock over)

View attachment 104126

I don't believe parents should foist their grief on their children. Your dad was an angel.

debodun you are right ,my Dad was truly an angel. The thing he showed our family was true love. His family meant the world to him. My Dad passed away when my son was in his early 20's and it took him 5yrs to mention my Dad because he as a wonderful Granddad to my son and all the grandchildren.

Back