What would you do if you were the richest person on earth??

a life of financial limitations
Oh, I see. Well, I hope you'd be right but I'm just afraid that if I suddenly became extremely wealthy it would still change me in undesirable ways; it seems to do that to a lot of people. About the saying that money is the root of all evil: I think that the worship of money can be evil; worship just leads to trouble too much of the time.

yes , not once does he ever have to think that he can't have the heat on...like me right now..I'm so cold, I've just turned the heating on for 30 minutes... worried about it, because I had it on for an hour already today... but there's thick ice outside, and despite wearing 3 layers of clothing I'm freezing cold, I can barely feel my fingers..

I wouldn't have to worry about that if I was the richest person..
That makes me so sad and angry. Do you use a heated blanket. I don't know if they have those in the UK.

that's the ironic thing Trish... because the one room in the whole house which has no heating.. nor radiator... is this office room. I do have a little portable electric heater, but now since electricity is sooo expensive I would have to literally be suffering from frostbite before I;d turn it on..

I've got fleece blankets, currently I have one folded thickly over my legs but of course my hands are still frozen..

My dd has an electric blanket that she uses while watching tv on the sofa... I might consider that... but again it won't be useful here in the Office room...
How about something like this? Looks like they're rated pretty high.:

611DCpUuhfL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Z...d_r=abe10bba-f50a-4afa-911b-67ae054090e4&th=1

That makes me so sad and angry. Do you use a heated blanket. I don't know if they have those in the UK.
yes we have them here, no I don't use one.. my daughter uses one tho'..I said a few posts ago... she uses hers when sitting watching tv, but the truth is she's out at work all day, and home only for a couple of hours before bed. In that time, she cooks, takes the dog for a walk,,showers then watches some tv..so her heated blanket is on only for a very short time a day... with me it would cost much more because I'm here all day long..

Last edited:
that's the ironic thing Trish... because the one room in the whole house which has no heating.. nor radiator... is this office room. I do have a little portable electric heater, but now since electricity is sooo expensive I would have to literally be suffering from frostbite before I;d turn it on..

I've got fleece blankets, currently I have one folded thickly over my legs but of course my hands are still frozen..

My dd has an electric blanket that she uses while watching tv on the sofa... I might consider that... but again it won't be useful here in the Office room...
Missed this post Holly. Would you consider moving the computer?

You mean what would we do if we were Elon Musk ?:D...just think how fab it would be never to have to worry about how you;re going to pay a Utility bill , or a dentist bill... or just order any item for your home or you closet, without even considering the price..
Elon Musk. The man who agreed with an anti-Semitic poster on X, lost big advertising revenue, publicly told the advertisers to go **** themselves and then blamed them if X goes under. Whatever I would do if I had his wealth would be the opposite of what he does.

Missed this post Holly. Would you consider moving the computer?
It would be impossible for me to move the computer Remy... it;s a very complicated set-up and extremely heavy . I did originally have it downstairs, then he built this office room for me and moved it upstairs..this is before utility prices went through the roof... but he was a techi head, so he set it up using all sorts of fancy bells and whistles, stereo speakers etc.. so I couldn't take it downstairs... and tbh I wouldn't want to anyway.. because I can only afford to have the heating on for an hour a day , so I;d still be cold down there ..

Anyway up here I can keep everything hidden away from visitors..

You mean what would we do if we were Elon Musk ?:D...just think how fab it would be never to have to worry about how you;re going to pay a Utility bill , or a dentist bill... or just order any item for your home or you closet, without even considering the price..
I don't worry about paying bills now and I'm not rich. I learned to live within my means when I was in my 20s, never charged more than I could pay off each month and can easily afford my expenses now as a retiree. I also learned to be a saver back then, a habit I've never abandoned.

Re the OP: I'd definitely be a philanthropist and would help a multitude of people who are working hard but can never make ends meet. I've seen stories about people who work three jobs to support their children but always come up short. I saw a story about a man who walked several miles to get to work. I believe someone started a Go Fund me page for him and he wound up being able to buy a car.

But there are many, many stories like that. I'd be like Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey who help as many deserving people as they can in a multitude of ways. Oprah and her celebrity crew got homes built for people in NOLA after Katrina, while Fema dragged it's feet. Between them, they've donated hundreds of millions for scholarships.

I'd also give a significant amount to St. Jude and a couple other favorite charities, one run by a local Muslim brother who has a counseling program for drug addicts and people looking for work. He also feeds the hungry (probably most of whom are not Muslims) every single Sunday evening, come rain, shine, snow or massive heat. He's done this for years. One of the local masjids (mosques) allows him and his cooks to prepare massive amounts of food in their kitchen. He has a spot where he sets up...people know he and his staff will be there and they line up to get fresh cooked 3 course meals.

Of course, my family would want for nothing. But I would not allow them to be slackers. And for me...I'd buy an oceanfront, luxury condo, preferably someplace warmer than New Jersey and hire staff so I would never have to cook and clean again. I'd still prefer to do my own laundry though.

TBH,.I'm doing as much as I can possibly do to try and keep warm without using the heating. I have the Oodies , I have fleece blankets, I have a hot water bottle, I have gloves, scarves, even hats... it stops me from literally freezing to death... but I miss being just warm and comfortable all day , by having heating on in winter... and not having to cover myself up with 3 layers of clothing all day every day

Sorry Marie... totally off topic on me... so please back on topic everyone, and thanks for all your suggestions

TBH,.I'm doing as much as I can possibly do to try and keep warm without using the heating. I have the Oodies , I have fleece blankets, I have a hot water bottle, I have gloves, scarves, even hats... it stops me from literally freezing to death... but I miss being just warm and comfortable all day , by having heating on in winter... and not having to cover myself up with 3 layers of clothing all day every day

Sorry Marie... totally off topic on me... so please back on topic everyone, and thanks for all your suggestions
Seriously no one should live like that. Do you think the prices are going up because of greed or real necessity for the company? Here in California, Pacific Gas & Electric (the hated PG&E) is using the excuse of burying the lines. Yet there are people saying that better maintenance of the lines could have prevented fires. So all the law suits they are paying out, they need money. Corporate scum still needs their big income.

Seriously no one should live like that. Do you think the prices are going up because of greed or real necessity for the company? Here in California, Pacific Gas & Electric (the hated PG&E) is using the excuse of burying the lines. Yet there are people saying that better maintenance of the lines could have prevented fires. So all the law suits they are paying out, they need money. Corporate scum still needs their big income.
they shot up after the Russian Ukraine war... and they've barely come down again.... sheer greed....

I have a friend in California who has complained about PG&E and also said that they could have prevented the fires.

I'm sorry to read you're going thru this HD! šŸ„ŗ

Priorities, mother would say. She would pay for heat before buying extras. That's one lesson the Depression taught her: Priorities.

trish., thanks for suggestions...but I do have electric heaters..I've got a bigger one in the barn as well. it's just that I cannot afford to run them, not since the utilities shot up in price 2 years ago... and I now only have one income . I've got gloves..loads...fingerless as well thinking I could use them while using the computer, but they're very slippy on the mouse, so not really helpful.

I do miss just turning on the heating at a whim as I have always in the past... it's one thing that really makes me angry since he's been gone..
My wife has helped a few people that are always cold by knitting wool fingerless gloves and wool cowls. She uses yarn that is very soft and not itchy. The people that use them, swear by them. I keep warm by wearing quilted insulated flannel shirts. The other types of insulated shirts feel cold. Quilted is the warmest.

I use heating pads. I hug them to my core and drink hot herbal tea or cocoa. If you keep your core warm the rest of you stays warmer too.
yes I have hot water bottles.. and I have an electric heating pad which is really for my back issues but works well to just wrap around my middle and costs very little to run...

Like I say I have plenty clothes, so much as its inconvenient to wear 3 or 4 layers... they keep me warm... a Ā£20 jumper is far cheaper to buy every month than a Ā£150 gas bill... .its just my hands which are arthritic and get soooo painfully cold.

..as my arthritic bones are the knuckles nearest my fingernails, fingerless gloves haven't been the answer because that's the area they leave exposed.. but yesterday I found these ..which expose only the forefinger and thumb... which means hopefully I can wear them and still have my hands and fingers function while being warm...
29a4b3da4b6cf4bce8c6a89277c159b5.jpg

Last edited:

Back