What's brining you joy during this unusual time?

Keeping busy with model trains, streaming Great Lectures (currently watching a 35 part series on World History),
reading, walking. My wife is into jigsaw puzzles and we both enjoy British TV detective shows on Netflix. Kids are
scattered in Pennslyvania, Georgia and Puerto Rico so we do a lot of texting and calling.

Keeping busy with model trains, streaming Great Lectures (currently watching a 35 part series on World History),
reading, walking. My wife is into jigsaw puzzles and we both enjoy British TV detective shows on Netflix. Kids are
scattered in Pennslyvania, Georgia and Puerto Rico so we do a lot of texting and calling.

If you are into British mysteries, you should check out Acorn TV and Britbox. They are chock full of British mysteries and are much cheaper than Netflix. I stream them through my Roku device. I believe both of them have a 30 day free trial.

I am a big fan of British mysteries myself.

This brings me joy...the lakes and woods behind my house.. ., and where I went this afternoon to walk for the first time since getting ill over 2 weeks ago...

IMG-47555-HD.jpg

You are very fortunate to live in a scenic area with lots of open space to wander in .. especially at this time (y)
absolutely...we're constantly aware of this, and I don't think there's a day goes by when I don't mention how hard it must be for people who live in cramped apartments with lots of children , and or in the midst of cities where there's hardly any green space ..or more to the point space for people to practice social distancing well.

Today in the woods, and down by the lakes I don't think anyone got closer than 50 feet to me.. hardly anyone there tbh anyway , a few dog walkers, a few joggers.. , but those who were there all practised social distancing making full use of all the space..

Last edited:
Nothing. I'm bored to tears.

I work part time in a grocery store just to get out of the house and to be around people. But, since this pandemic thing started, it's been a challenge. We have had a lot of shoppers come into our store and are new customers and want to know where this is and where that is. I want to be polite and helpful, but sometimes they get too close and I have to ask them to please back up.

I work part time in a grocery store just to get out of the house and to be around people. But, since this pandemic thing started, it's been a challenge. We have had a lot of shoppers come into our store and are new customers and want to know where this is and where that is. I want to be polite and helpful, but sometimes they get too close and I have to ask them to please back up.
I think anyone who works in a supermarket (especially shelf fillers who have no screen between them and the customer as cashiers do).. are superstars, and thank goodness for you all.. (y) (y) but I wouldn't do it.. I wouldn't risk getting this virus for anyone... especially if I don't need the money.. Just being honest... !!

Last edited:
Now may be a good time to post one of your manuscripts. Make it something about living out in the wilderness and not having any transportation, except for sled dogs. You could be like a scientist investigating climate change around the North Pole or maybe at least Iceland. Then, put in a chapter about the time when weather was so severe that the plane couldn't get through to you for your food and mail drop and how you almost had to go kill something to eat. Make it a real "sitting on the edge of my seat" drama type book. Be sure to include how you became friends with a polar bear cub that you raised from birth because its Mother was killed by hunters, so the cub became your responsibility and how you raised it. Sort of a Grizzly Adams adventure for another chapter. Just don't kill any seals and feed them to the cub. Just fish. Lots and lots of fish and maybe a Caribou, if you killed it for your meat and shared it with your bear. I don't even know if Caribou, Polar bear and seals even live at the North Pole. But, because it's fiction, who would care?

What do you think?

I think anyone who works in a supermarket (especially she;f filler who have no screen between them and the customer as cashiers do.. are superstars, and thank goodness for you all.. (y) (y) but I wouldn't do it.. I wouldn't risk getting this virus for anyone... especially if I don't need the money.. Just being honest... !!
OK, I get it and believe me, it's weighed on my mind. I did speak with management and of course, the very first thing was to give me a $3.00 per hour raise. I tried to tell them that it's not about the money, but protection.

I also spoke with my department manager. He is a really nice man and understands completely. He told me that if I wanted to self quarantine, no problem, I would still have my job. I hate leaving people down and if I don't do it, who will? No one wants to work right now, especially in a grocery store. And the fact that the government is giving everyone that stays home a $600 per week allotment is a key to just doing that.

It's kind of a damned if I do or damned if I don't type thing. I guess I like getting out of the house and I get a chance to communicate with other people. My wife, who is a retired professor from a university here in the east, has loads of people to talk to. Right now, she is teaching online three hours per day because the professors that should be doing it are being paid, regardless if they are teaching or not. I have a lot of friends that are pilots and are that are laid off right now, but all they do is complain. Who wants to listen to that?

Now may be a good time to post one of your manuscripts. Make it something about living out in the wilderness and not having any transportation, except for sled dogs. You could be like a scientist investigating climate change around the North Pole or maybe at least Iceland. Then, put in a chapter about the time when weather was so severe that the plane couldn't get through to you for your food and mail drop and how you almost had to go kill something to eat. Make it a real "sitting on the edge of my seat" drama type book. Be sure to include how you became friends with a polar bear cub that you raised from birth because its Mother was killed by hunters, so the cub became your responsibility and how you raised it. Sort of a Grizzly Adams adventure for another chapter. Just don't kill any seals and feed them to the cub. Just fish. Lots and lots of fish and maybe a Caribou, if you killed it for your meat and shared it with your bear. I don't even know if Caribou, Polar bear and seals even live at the North Pole. But, because it's fiction, who would care?

What do you think?
Wow! It sounds like you could write this story yourself! or maybe you just DID! I can tell you're climbing the walls!

A friend of mine said she was hurt that a grocery store worker told her to keep her distance while she was checking out. I just don't get people who are so clueless and self center-centered as my friend. Too bad that her feelings were hurt, the workers are trying to protect their well being.

Back