What's for dinner ( or lunch )

Do you make your own yorkshire puds, Holly? I have always wanted to try that, but I don't have a popover pan. Hmmmm.... off to Amazon I go!!! (Please share recipe if you do. :D)
Sure... I do...

First and foremost the important thing is to get your pan ( or individual Yorkshire pudding or muffin tin trays, with a little oil in each compartment) piping hot, in a hot Preheated oven,...This is the part that separates good yorkie pud makers from mediocre or terrible...

To save me writing it all out I've got you this recipe link because it also contains a one minute video to show what to do...

YP's are extremely easy to put together but unless you beat a lot of air into them, and put them into a piping hot tray in a piping hot oven they will be a disaster... ...also you can make them in a YP /muffin tray...or you can pour the mix into a large sheet pan, and then cut as necessary when the YP is cooked. Remember the YP should be crispy and puffed up on the outside, and almost empty in the middle and full of air ...

https://www.delish.com/uk/cooking/recipes/a29557764/how-to-make-yorkshire-puddings/

Yep, I just got the broccoli, carrots, and onions prepped. Need to wash some spinach and get the peppers and mushrooms out of the freezer, and slice the sirloin. My poor cabbage was smelling a little "iffy" so it's in the trash.

I have some eggroll wrappers in the fridge. It's easy to cook up some ground chicken or whatever meat, some coleslaw mix (cabbage & carrots), hit with soy sauce, then wrap and cook. (Not doing that today, though... just stirfry and rice. I'm trying to use up that 15-pound bag of Costco rice!!:oops: )
You sound like me.

If I know I'm doing stiry-fry or complex Mexican the next day, I'll prep the veggies for it as I'm making tonight's dinner, just to get a head start.

That's why I like my 3 Day Rise pizza dough...things aren't log-jammed in the same evening.

You sound like me.

If I know I'm doing stiry-fry or complex Mexican the next day, I'll prep the veggies for it as I'm making tonight's dinner, just to get a head start.

That's why I like my 3 Day Rise pizza dough...things aren't log-jammed in the same evening.

Everything is ready to go! I have a few asparagus stalks that I need to use up and I'm wondering if I should slice 'em and toss them in. (The peppers and mushrooms are still frozen. :D)

stirfry.jpg

Sure... I do...

First and foremost the important thing is to get your pan ( or individual Yorkshire pudding or muffin tin trays, with a little oil in each compartment) piping hot, in a hot Preheated oven,...This is the part that separates good yorkie pud makers from mediocre or terrible...

To save me writing it all out I've got you this recipe link because it also contains a one minute video to show what to do...

YP's are extremely easy to put together but unless you beat a lot of air into them, and put them into a piping hot tray in a piping hot oven they will be a disaster... ...also you can make them in a YP /muffin tray...or you can pour the mix into a large sheet pan, and then cut as necessary when the YP is cooked. Remember the YP should be crispy and puffed up on the outside, and almost empty in the middle and full of air ...

https://www.delish.com/uk/cooking/recipes/a29557764/how-to-make-yorkshire-puddings/
Thanks, Holly!! I love to watch this Youtube channel, "Wright at Home." I just love Helen; her voice is soothing. :D I'm going to order a pan and give it a whirl.

Everything is ready to go! I have a few asparagus stalks that I need to use up and I'm wondering if I should slice 'em and toss them in. (The peppers and mushrooms are still frozen. :D)

View attachment 104346
Sure, throw them in there. They'd feel left out if you didn't.

If you like to stir fry, there's nothing better than asparagus in a black bean sauce. I'll buy the jarred stuff and stretch it with my own concoction of the dried (very salty/needs rinsed) black beans, garlic, ginger root, sherry and rice vinegar mashed in a pestle. It adds freshness to the jarred stuff, and I like leaving a bunch of the beans whole. I don't recall if you eat meat, but there are stir fry recipes for this with beef and with shrimp.

Black bean sauce is soooooo good.

Sure, throw them in there. They'd feel left out if you didn't.

If you like to stir fry, there's nothing better than asparagus in a black bean sauce. I'll buy the jarred stuff and stretch it with my own concoction of the dried (very salty/needs rinsed) black beans, garlic, ginger root, sherry and rice vinegar mashed in a pestle. It adds freshness to the jarred stuff, and I like leaving a bunch of the beans whole. I don't recall if you eat meat, but there are stir fry recipes for this with beef and with shrimp.

Black bean sauce is soooooo good.
We love stirfry and have it pretty often. I keep a bag of coleslaw mix in the fridge as a base most of the time, and then just toss in whatever I've got. Seems to always turn out good! (Kind of the "eggroll in a bowl" thing.) I have never put asparagus in because it's kind of a strong flavor, but since I have some I'll give it a try.

We are definitely carnivores and also love black beans, so I'll give that a try. I recently bought bottled sweet and sour sauce (gasp) and it wasn't half bad. I added some spices and some pineapple juice and it actually turned out pretty good.

We love stirfry and have it pretty often. I keep a bag of coleslaw mix in the fridge as a base most of the time, and then just toss in whatever I've got. Seems to always turn out good! (Kind of the "eggroll in a bowl" thing.) I have never put asparagus in because it's kind of a strong flavor, but since I have some I'll give it a try.

We are definitely carnivores and also love black beans, so I'll give that a try. I recently bought bottled sweet and sour sauce (gasp) and it wasn't half bad. I added some spices and some pineapple juice and it actually turned out pretty good.
We all have the same struggle with stir-fry...we don't have a commercial Chinese kitchen. I used to have 2 regular woks and an electric one when I was really into it.

I once fired up my small kettle grill like this one:

40020B_1800x1800.png

and set my wok down right on the hot coals.

Baby, I was P.F. Chang!!!! That thing was SMOKIN' right off the bat!!! For the first time in my life, I was really stir frying!!! I just needed to create a rig to lift the wok up a little so it stopped suffocating the coals because the fit was too tight. But it stayed screamin' hot enough to make a full meal.

As an alternative, I keep thinking of buying one of these to hook up to the propane tank:

s-l1000.jpg

Made specifically for woks. Come in a variety of styles and configurations, some on stands. I have no idea how much propane they consume, but cook time is pretty fast. All for outdoor use, of course.

We all have the same struggle with stir-fry...we don't have a commercial Chinese kitchen. I used to have 2 regular woks and an electric one when I was really into it.

I once fired up my small kettle grill like this one:

40020B_1800x1800.png

and set my wok down right on the hot coals.

Baby, I was P.F. Chang!!!! That thing was SMOKIN' right off the bat!!! For the first time in my life, I was really stir frying!!! I just needed to create a rig to lift the wok up a little so it stopped suffocating the coals because the fit was too tight. But it stayed screamin' hot enough to make a full meal.

As an alternative, I keep thinking of buying one of these to hook up to the propane tank:

s-l1000.jpg

Made specifically for woks. Come in a variety of styles and configurations, some on stands. I have no idea how much propane they consume, but cook time is pretty fast. All for outdoor use, of course.
My stove has a "power burner" and I have both a stainless wok and a LeCreuset cast iron wok. I like the LC best but it weighs 400 pounds.

This morning we worked outside, cutting up a big "weed tree" we cut down on Monday.

So...this afternoon made homemade "dilly" bread, peas & mushrooms and salmon patties. Tapioca pudding I made last night
for dessert. I know, sounds like a good meal from the 70's huh...lol.

This morning we worked outside, cutting up a big "weed tree" we cut down on Monday.

So...this afternoon made homemade "dilly" bread, peas & mushrooms and salmon patties. Tapioca pudding I made last night
for dessert. I know, sounds like a good meal from the 70's huh...lol.

Sounds good to me!

I remember dilly bread made with cottage cheese, good stuff!

Do you use the large pearl tapioca when you make pudding?

It's a chicory. There was a coffee brand that advertised it had chicory in it (probably the ground roots), but for the life of me I cannot recall what it was. Apparently people use ground chicory root as a coffee substitute.

If you've been to a restaurant (especially Italian) and thought there was shredded red cabbage in your salad, it might have been radicchio.

Here's an In-Your-Face picture...

radicchio.jpg

It's a little bitter. About the size of a softball. I add it to my salad for color and for whatever nutrients it may have...colorful fruits and veggies usually have lots of nutrients. The sharp bite of it pairs well with the blue cheese I always add. Most grocery stores carry it...under $2.
Good to know, I have to try it sometime.

The Louisiana coffee brand Community Coffee comes with chicory. There are others as well.
I saw that about Community Coffee but did not realize it was a Louisiana brand. I've seen it for sale on Walmart's website but had not heard of it before. Apparently chicory coffee is popular in that part of the country...introduced in the states in New Orleans.

I found what I was looking for. "Luzianne" It's an instant coffee with chicory. I knew it sounded like Louisiana. 1/3 coffee, 1/3 chicory, and by deduction, 1/3 maltodextrin. Mmmmmm......

At least I can sleep tonight without that hanging over my head. Daggone stuff half-remembered from when I was 9 years old.

I saw that about Community Coffee but did not realize it was a Louisiana brand. I've seen it for sale on Walmart's website but had not heard of it before. Apparently chicory coffee is popular in that part of the country...introduced in the states in New Orleans.

I found what I was looking for. "Luzianne" It's an instant coffee with chicory. I knew it sounded like Louisiana. 1/3 coffee, 1/3 chicory, and by deduction, 1/3 maltodextrin. Mmmmmm......

At least I can sleep tonight without that hanging over my head. Daggone stuff half-remembered from when I was 9 years old.
Instant coffee... gack. 🤢

Today we're having meatloaf (by hub's request), corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and sauteed zuchinni. The corn was on sale 4 for a dollar so what could I do?? :D I need to get down there and grate the zuchinni; not my favorite task.

Today we're having meatloaf (by hub's request), corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and sauteed zuchinni. The corn was on sale 4 for a dollar so what could I do?? :D I need to get down there and grate the zuchinni; not my favorite task.
All these meatloaf posts.

I really have a taste for some right now, but I have GOT to eat what I already have in my freezer.
But just out of curiosity...do you put ketchup in yours? Do you put a glaze on it?

Inquiring (and vicarious) minds want to know.

All these meatloaf posts.

I really have a taste for some right now, but I have GOT to eat what I already have in my freezer.
But just out of curiosity...do you put ketchup in yours? Do you put a glaze on it?

Inquiring (and vicarious) minds want to know.
I don't put ketchup in the meatloaf, but I do add a small can of tomato sauce to the mix.

An easy glaze is 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce, 4 tablespoons brown sugar, and 4 teaspoons cider vinegar. Mix well. I pull the loaf out before the last 10 minutes of baking and add the glaze, then return to the oven to finish.

Back