What's for dinner (supper)

I have never made french fries, so I did this evening. So I had crappy fries for my dinner. I was too lazy to cook anything with them. They were terrible, don't know where I went wrong.

I have never made french fries, so I did this evening. So I had crappy fries for my dinner. I was too lazy to cook anything with them. They were terrible, don't know where I went wrong.

Did you make them from fresh potatoes? That can be tricky to get them just right, i.e., browned and cooked and crisp without being mushy and greasy. I could never do it just right without using a deep fat fryer, which is too much trouble. I used to do it sometimes when I had kids at home, but it is a pain and cleanup is a mess.

Or were you doing frozen ones in the oven?

Don't get discouraged. Everybody has some failures in cooking.

Have you tried your beef roast yet?

Jim,

Try roasted potato wedges.

Preheat the oven to 450F, wash and dry one or two raw unpeeled baking potatoes, cut each potato lengthwise into six wedges, place the wedges on a baking sheet and toss them with a couple tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with salt and any other seasonings like onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, etc..., bake for 15 - 20 minutes toss them and continue baking for another 15 - 20 minutes until they are brown and soft in the center when tested with a knife.

Good luck!

917-Tz1ROZL._SY355_.jpg

If you're cooking them from scratch .. do this...

bring a large pan of salted water to the boil..

Dry your cut up potatoes on kitchen paper

Drop your already prepared potato fries into the water .. boil for 5 minutes..

drain, and dry on a piece of kitchen roll... and then cook in boiling hot fat until brown ..the temp of the fat is crucial..never put anything into barely warm fat or oil

however Jim, I suggested you either follow Bea's recipe , or just buy oven chips... far safer for you.. and remember whatever you're cooking in the oven, the oven has to be pre-heated for at least 5 or 10 minutes first...

Back