What's your Hobby?

We should all have at least one hobby and several activities to keep us busy during our retirement years.
I'm a writer and a webmaster among other things.
I've been working hard at writing articles, short stories and building my site. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. It's not even close to being complete which is the way most hobbies and activities should be. There should always be something else that can be done. For me, It's the process that makes most things enjoyable and not the final result.
If you're interested in taking a look<here's a link>
What's your hobby?
Sports were always hobbies, never competitions. I still do three to this day. Archery, ice skating and swimming (found out our local for the latter has reopened after the Pandemic mess, will investigate lol).

Writing my novels, however on hold until it's been a year hubby has passed as a mark of respect to the loss of the love of my life. One series is complete the third one is halfway through. The basics are in for each four novels.

One thing which daughter asked around the beginning of 2022 was how book 4 would conclude. I'd no idea at the time but now I do. It'll be the hardest bit of writing so far in all my stories.

As some hobbies are on hold, still due to Pandemic, I've added T'ai Chi to my weekly hobbies. I follow this lady's channel on YouTube:
https://youtube.com/@Taiflow

Classic cars, and motorcycles. Lately I've been refurbishing a large milling machine, and a 1940 Sidney metal lathe.
Motorcycles, when I was a teenager, following some incident that caused alarm with my father, I think it might have been a neighbour's son that was seriously injured when he came off. My father made me promise not to get a motorbike, I kept my promise to Dad. Later, after finishing my education, I joined a company and started to climb the greasy pole. Life and all that it entails, just flew by, and now I was a middle aged man, out of debt with the mortgage paid off and that teenage itch came back. I well and truly scratched it.
Taylor002 WEB (2).jpg
One really expensive hobby.

View attachment 265281
Now that is an expensive hobby that I can well and truly vouch for. That Harley you see me on above, had that for a good few years, not a wobble, near miss or anything like a scary moment but it was time to sell it. Now, sitting in the garage, is a 1947 MG.
Poole Goes Vintage 02.jpg
Somebody mentioned music. Work and our passion for dancing, as in, Latin & Ballroom, kept me much too busy to learn to play anything musical, but I had built up quite a collection of 45 rpm records and more than a few LP's. You might think that this baby boomer would love the sounds of the 60's. Let's just say I don't dislike it but my passion goes back to the age of swing, music that you can dance to. Those 45's deserve a good home and I have just the place for them.
422746823.JPG
Going on from the love of swing, the fashions of that period is a love of mine, and my wife too. You will find us at many a vintage festival or big band dance weekends held in hotel's stylish ballrooms up and down the country. The age of swing was also when the power of steam locomotives reached it's zenith, how I love both. Here we are all dressed up and happily being photobombed by Hercules.
suit26.JPG
Now I am at an age when the body that has served me on the dance floor for all those decades is showing signs of wear and tear. My left hip has got to be replaced. Following surgery, my surgeon told me that replacement hips have a shelf life, but with care, it will last me out. He told me that I could dance, but for the first few months, try cycling and swimming, they are rotation exercises, perfect for a new hip. Well I didn't have a bicycle, but I found the perfect example. A vintage bike without a crossbar, perfect for my new hip.
suit14.JPG
Work is also enjoyable, still working twelve years past retirement age.

Motorcycles, when I was a teenager, following some incident that caused alarm with my father, I think it might have been a neighbour's son that was seriously injured when he came off. My father made me promise not to get a motorbike, I kept my promise to Dad. Later, after finishing my education, I joined a company and started to climb the greasy pole. Life and all that it entails, just flew by, and now I was a middle aged man, out of debt with the mortgage paid off and that teenage itch came back. I well and truly scratched it.
View attachment 265309

Now that is an expensive hobby that I can well and truly vouch for. That Harley you see me on above, had that for a good few years, not a wobble, near miss or anything like a scary moment but it was time to sell it. Now, sitting in the garage, is a 1947 MG.
View attachment 265311
Somebody mentioned music. Work and our passion for dancing, as in, Latin & Ballroom, kept me much too busy to learn to play anything musical, but I had built up quite a collection of 45 rpm records and more than a few LP's. You might think that this baby boomer would love the sounds of the 60's. Let's just say I don't dislike it but my passion goes back to the age of swing, music that you can dance to. Those 45's deserve a good home and I have just the place for them.
View attachment 265310
Going on from the love of swing, the fashions of that period is a love of mine, and my wife too. You will find us at many a vintage festival or big band dance weekends held in hotel's stylish ballrooms up and down the country. The age of swing was also when the power of steam locomotives reached it's zenith, how I love both. Here we are all dressed up and happily being photobombed by Hercules.
View attachment 265313
Now I am at an age when the body that has served me on the dance floor for all those decades is showing signs of wear and tear. My left hip has got to be replaced. Following surgery, my surgeon told me that replacement hips have a shelf life, but with care, it will last me out. He told me that I could dance, but for the first few months, try cycling and swimming, they are rotation exercises, perfect for a new hip. Well I didn't have a bicycle, but I found the perfect example. A vintage bike without a crossbar, perfect for my new hip.
View attachment 265312
Work is also enjoyable, still working twelve years past retirement age.
Love this pic, as I do all your pictures. You bring a sense of timeless arrogance to a frenetic and troubled world. If it would not be impertinent to ask, I would love to see any portions of your property or corners of your house you might see fit to share. I still remember fondly your red kitchen.♥️

Love this pic, as I do all your pictures. You bring a sense of timeless arrogance to a frenetic and troubled world. If it would not be impertinent to ask, I would love to see any portions of your property or corners of your house you might see fit to share. I still remember fondly your red kitchen.♥️
Thank you for your kind compliment. We are in the process of getting those jobs done that often get overlooked, like the slow running cold water in the main bathroom. Our lovely home has become too much as we have gotten older, time for a single story building. But we will be here for a while yet. Perhaps I should have listed DIY as another of our hobbies. For me though, DIY means Don't Involve Yourself, I'm useless at such things, leave it to those skilled craftsmen and women.

When the weather is crappy, I do a lot of baking from scratch. I practice Dayan QiGong and yoga for a chronic back issue. Playing with the stock market. Repairing outdoor power equipment for veterans, helpers in the community and friends. Carpentry and cabinet building. Remodeling my house, doing everything myself (2 rooms left to go). Learning something new ever day.
If you haven't guessed, I'm a diy-er.
Of course I can't do it all in 1 day, so, every day is a new adventure.

I don't have hobbies per se, but I have interests. Food, culinary arts, food history, nutrition, essential oils, aromatherapy, film, film history, performance art, art, art history, music, gardening, reading—mostly non-fiction and health-related—and I'm also an intoxicologist. 😊

I don't have hobbies per se, but I have interests. Food, culinary arts, food history, nutrition, essential oils, aromatherapy, film, film history, performance art, art, art history, music, gardening, reading—mostly non-fiction and health-related—and I'm also an intoxicologist. 😊
I would call mine " interests" also. They vary and go back and forth.
The thread about clothing reminded me of when I had a great interest in color theory and science. I guess the hobby part was figuring out what "season" people were. Drove my family crazy but they all started buying clothes that fit into their coloring and
would ask me if was in their season. We all figured out why we would buy something we loved in the store but never wore it.
Anyway, I won't get started and drive you all crazy......but I'm a summer. 😊

i dont have time for hobbies now, but i can fit in writing , which is one hobby,
but they were fishing, photography, and keep fit .......

Bella, as far as your intoxicologist hobby...do you merely study them or indulge also...lol.

Love baking...especially healthy low or no sugar baked foods that taste great...also cooking, reading and gardening.

Have published books and wrote so much at work as a copywrighter so not so interested in writing, but so admire other's eloquent wordsmith techniques. Anyone that can string a series of words together and bring them alive for the reader have my lasting admiration.

I would call mine " interests" also. They vary and go back and forth.
The thread about clothing reminded me of when I had a great interest in color theory and science. I guess the hobby part was figuring out what "season" people were. Drove my family crazy but they all started buying clothes that fit into their coloring and
would ask me if was in their season. We all figured out why we would buy something we loved in the store but never wore it.
Anyway, I won't get started and drive you all crazy......but I'm a summer. 😊
Oh do tell..I really would LOVE to know why we buy clothes we love in the store and then never wear them . Is it something to do with the lighting ? I actually look horrible in Store mirrors..especially those 3 dimensional ones.. *ugh*

My hobby or what I do is attaining spiritual and psychic knowledge. Listening to gurus and philosophers online. Learning about such things they talk about about life and how to get along with society.The latest thing I have been learning about what people say about cosmic consciences and the past experiences that people have had with cosmic consciences and universal knowledge. My latest physical hobby is making wine at home not necessarily the good stuff but the hootch and cheap and easy to make stuff.
Have you read anything by Joe Dispenza? He's pretty interesting.

Oh do tell..I really would LOVE to know why we buy clothes we love in the store and then never wear them . Is it something to do with the lighting ? I actually look horrible in Store mirrors..especially those 3 dimensional ones.. *ugh*
Its usually because the colors are not for you. It causes shadows that age your face. It makes your skin tone look grey.
It may be beautiful on someone else.
Also, not your style. You may want to wear that style and you'd love to start wearing that style....but, it just is not you. Great for someone else so it sits in your closet and you keep telling yourself you're going to wear it but instead you choose the dress you love and wear all the time.
If someone says I love that color it's different from them saying that color looks good on you, brings out your eyes, etc.
Or the style is not right for your body type. It makes you look big instead of enhancing your curves.

Oh god, you got me started!!!!

Its usually because the colors are not for you. It causes shadows that age your face. It makes your skin tone look grey.
It may be beautiful on someone else.
Also, not your style. You may want to wear that style and you'd love to start wearing that style....but, it just is not you. Great for someone else so it sits in your closet and you keep telling yourself you're going to wear it but instead you choose the dress you love and wear all the time.
If someone says I love that color it's different from them saying that color looks good on you, brings out your eyes, etc.
Or the style is not right for your body type. It makes you look big instead of enhancing your curves.

Oh god, you got me started!!!!
all very interesting..but why does it look nice on in the store.. but not at home ? :unsure:

Back