When the virus dies, what kind of world will be left, after the onslought?

Covid is likely to be with us until at least summer 2021. It's going to take a long time to vaccinate enough people to diminish its impact.

Staunch anti-vaxxers with ideological or political aversions to vaccines (rather than medical issues) may greatly affect the timeline of how long it takes various countries to return to normal and to be back on the tourism welcome list.

Covid has hit virtually every country on the planet and current worldwide population is nearly nine billion. That's a whole lotta vaccines.

Covid is likely to be with us until at least summer 2021. It's going to take a long time to vaccinate enough people to diminish its impact.

Staunch anti-vaxxers with ideological or political aversions to vaccines (rather than medical issues) may greatly affect the timeline of how long it takes various countries to return to normal and to be back on the tourism welcome list.

Covid has hit virtually every country on the planet and current worldwide population is nearly nine billion. That's a whole lotta vaccines.
you think it's gonna go away by next summer? may i ask why just out of curiosity?

you think it's gonna go away by next summer? may i ask why just out of curiosity?
It's wishful thinking, to be honest, Marci.

I do think it will be dramatically reduced in the US, Canada, Japan, S. Korea, Hong Kong, AU, NZ, the UK, most European countries and some others that I haven't yet brought to mind. Maybe Russia, too.

Vaccines are going to be very much in demand by people who want some semblance of normalcy back in our lives.

One definite change for me is that I no longer bring groceries home and stick them in the fridge and pantry. Nasty, nasty and nasty! I don't find it a burden to sanitize them as soon as I get home.
There's certainly nothing wrong with doing whatever you feel necessary with your groceries. But it's my understanding that the disease doesn't spread that way. The experts keep telling us that the virus doesn't last long on hard surfaces, it is transported in much greater quantities in liquid drops. That's why we are much more of a danger to each other than our grocery packages or the mail.

But who knows? Nobody has 100% of the answers.

Awkward times are ahead after the COVID passes. Remember a great number of people are not willing to get the vaccine. Examples: You see someone you know an that person extends their hand to shake. You are in line and the person behind you is one foot away. The door to an elevator opens and it is crowded. The coworker that works next to you does not show up and you hear that person is "sick". You want to go to the indoor movies or to a concert. No one in your dentist office wears a mask. You are in a long line at the grocery store that is packed with people and only a few wear masks. Your spouse works a job along with many coworkers and they are all serving the public in person every day. Even with the vaccine new cases are showing up just not as many.

I am looking forward to stress relief after Covid vaccines kick in and the presidential inauguration is over. Maybe things will return to some kind of normal. One can only hope for some relief from depression.

someone else on this site (can't recall who exactly) said they believed this would continue to return all the time like the flu. let's suppose what this will look like if it can come back year round. i just don't believe we will every truly be free of it now that it's hooks are in.

The power of positive thinking. "I'm giving this virus until next summer to go away, or else I'll make it sorry it was ever born!" šŸ˜Š
And if that doesn't work, just blame non-conforming, non robots. šŸ˜Š

Awkward times are ahead after the COVID passes. Remember a great number of people are not willing to get the vaccine. Examples: You see someone you know an that person extends their hand to shake. You are in line and the person behind you is one foot away. The door to an elevator opens and it is crowded. The coworker that works next to you does not show up and you hear that person is "sick". You want to go to the indoor movies or to a concert. No one in your dentist office wears a mask. You are in a long line at the grocery store that is packed with people and only a few wear masks. Your spouse works a job along with many coworkers and they are all serving the public in person every day. Even with the vaccine new cases are showing up just not as many.
fmdog, a lot of the things you are describing have obvious answers.

You don't HAVE to shake hands with anybody.
You don't HAVE to get on that elevator. Most people that I see just choose to wait for the next one.
We all want to go to indoor movies or concerts. But I don't think there are any to go to right now, even if we were foolish enough to try it.
The grocery stores in my state require that everyone wear a mask. I would certainly avoid one that didn't require that.
About the people who are forced to interact with the public in their jobs, I do feel for them. Most of them have no choice.

And your last sentence leaves me very puzzled. What vaccine? New cases are showing up, only not as many? Not true. There are more new cases showing up now than ever before! No one has had the vaccine yet. They may start distributing it in December, but only to a very limited group.

I agree with others here who say it while be a while before we are totally rid of this. I think the 1918 flu took time to go away. Things I think of that will change, is many people being more aware of keeping distant from others, keeping hands and personal spaces clean and stuff.
I am sure we will lose the all you can eat buffets (or they will be less around), 24 hours big box stores (like the grocery chains) may not go back. While a minor inconvenience, I think the loss of 24 hour shopping will be an adjustment for folks like shift workers. When I used to work second shift, I often did my shopping after work. So there I was at midnight in the grocery stores...along with all the evening news guys (for some reason, several shopped at my local store)

I agree with others here who say it while be a while before we are totally rid of this. I think the 1918 flu took time to go away. Things I think of that will change, is many people being more aware of keeping distant from others, keeping hands and personal spaces clean and stuff.
I am sure we will lose the all you can eat buffets (or they will be less around), 24 hours big box stores (like the grocery chains) may not go back. While a minor inconvenience, I think the loss of 24 hour shopping will be an adjustment for folks like shift workers. When I used to work second shift, I often did my shopping after work. So there I was at midnight in the grocery stores...along with all the evening news guys (for some reason, several shopped at my local store)
it says on bing that lasted one or 2 yrs.

How Long Did the Flu Pandemic of 1918 Last? | Britannica

I remember the sugar cubes. We got ours at school. Not sure why.
I think the schools were used because that was the best way to get it to as many children as possible as quickly as possible. I got the Sabin (sugar cube) vaccine at school, too. I don't remember where we got the Salk vaccine shots, but I remember being in line. It might have been a school, too. Probably was. For the shots, parents had to come with us. For the sugar cube, we had to bring a permission slip.

someone else on this site (can't recall who exactly) said they believed this would continue to return all the time like the flu. let's suppose what this will look like if it can come back year round. i just don't believe we will every truly be free of it now that it's hooks are in.
It wouldn't surprise me if that's what happens, particularly if a good size percentage of the population refuses the vaccine. And, of course, there's still a lot of uncertainty about how long immunity lasts from getting the virus itself. If it's true about the immunity not lasting, seems to me it might be true of the immunity from vaccines as well. So we might have to be re-vaccinated every year or so.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's what happens, particularly if a good size percentage of the population refuses the vaccine. And, of course, there's still a lot of uncertainty about how long immunity lasts from getting the virus itself. If it's true about the immunity not lasting, seems to me it might be true of the immunity from vaccines as well. So we might have to be re-vaccinated every year or so.
i'm guessing every year for sure. some folks won't be able to take it which is understandable. i'm more worried about what will take place between vaccines once the masks come off. then there's no way that virus won't have a host.

Many here won't, either. Many small businesses in this city have already closed down for good. A lot of those were small restaurants and cafes.
Same here. Our local yoga center closed its doors for good this week. How sad for everyone who enjoyed it so. It wasn't the one where I worked, that was in another community. But I fear the same fate will befall so many small businesses in coming months. :cry:

fmdog, a lot of the things you are describing have obvious answers.

You don't HAVE to shake hands with anybody.
You don't HAVE to get on that elevator. Most people that I see just choose to wait for the next one.
We all want to go to indoor movies or concerts. But I don't think there are any to go to right now, even if we were foolish enough to try it.
The grocery stores in my state require that everyone wear a mask. I would certainly avoid one that didn't require that.
About the people who are forced to interact with the public in their jobs, I do feel for them. Most of them have no choice.

And your last sentence leaves me very puzzled. What vaccine? New cases are showing up, only not as many? Not true. There are more new cases showing up now than ever before! No one has had the vaccine yet. They may start distributing it in December, but only to a very limited group.
My entire post was hypothetical meaning what the future may be like. Read the first sentence. The underlying premise is the awkward adjustment to life assuming the virus will be reduced in numbers but not completely gone. Don't lose sight of the fact that a huge number of people will not take the vaccine when released in including bout 36% of healthcare workers.

Oh how humans love to speculate on what the future holds! In truth nobody knows, but I'm confident about a few things.

In time, this pandemic will pass into our collective memory. Human nature, however, won't change - those who were fearful before this started will still be fearful afterward, the brave will still be brave, greedy will still be greedy, the generous will still be generous, the foolish will still be foolish, the wise will still be wise . . . .

Every time the world faces a major challenge we see some technological advances that carry forward to our benefit. Perhaps in the area of medicine or manufacturing or communications.

And Almighty God will still be in control, weaving the foibles and foolishness of mankind into His perfect plan.

Oh how humans love to speculate on what the future holds! In truth nobody knows, but I'm confident about a few things.

In time, this pandemic will pass into our collective memory. Human nature, however, won't change - those who were fearful before this started will still be fearful afterward, the brave will still be brave, greedy will still be greedy, the generous will still be generous, the foolish will still be foolish, the wise will still be wise . . . .

Every time the world faces a major challenge we see some technological advances that carry forward to our benefit. Perhaps in the area of medicine or manufacturing or communications.

And Almighty God will still be in control, weaving the foibles and foolishness of mankind into His perfect plan.
Meanwhile we'll still be speculating. šŸ˜

Is this "Almighty God" the same one killing millions all over the planet with this virus?

Back