Where are my keys?

I am paranoid about losing my keys and always keep them in the same pocket of my shoulderbag
after they slipped out one day while paying for my newspaper, I realised after returning home later luckily, after retracing my steps I found them

I recall years ago when my SO used to lose his keys all the time; I saw what a royal pain that was finding them or making replacement keys so I have almost always since then (some 40 some years) made sure I have my keys..However there was one time about 4 or 5 years ago when I misplaced them and had to wait outside for any neighbor to let me in...so now I try to be sure all the time I know exactly where they are..either on the dining room table or in my purse~Oh, to answer the OP question there really haven't been any weird places.

A couple yrs ago I put my apartment keys in a pocket of my new purse.
For the life of me,I couldn't find the pocket where the keys were,though I could hear them
I had to call our maintenance guy to let me into my apt,so embarassed.I found the keys a couple min later,went back to using my other purse

A few years ago, my keys accidentally dropped down the elevator shaft of my building. (There's a narrow space between the elevator car and the wall, big enough for a set of keys.) The building manager told me there is no way of getting them back.

I bought a new set, pretty expensive, as my car remote was on it. About 6 weeks later, a clerk from the manager's office came running down the hall, calling me. She had my keys! Turned out some maintenance workers had been down there and turned my keys in to the office, and she remembered that I had reported mine down there.

It was nice getting them back, but would have been even nicer before I spent a fortune on the new car remote!

In a bag with some chicken in the freezer. (thanks son!!)

Very early on in my parenting life, I realized the frustration of trying to juggle kids, groceries, handbag etc while looking for my keys to let myself into the car or my house, so I evolved a system that I still use today. I have my keys attached to a small snap hook which I then attach to my purse, so that they're right there when I need them. I can retrieve them and put them back without looking.
BDA6FDFD-76C5-4CC7-9A67-B813AF6669B6.jpeg

Plus I'm all about redundancy when it comes to things like keys because I have locked myself out or locked the keys in the trunk etc., so I have a spare set at home (house key and car with fob) plus two single keys in my wallet. (house and car.) It's very seldom I go anywhere without my bag with my wallet in it, so I that covers most situations. Beyond that, worst case scenario there's a set at home so Ron or one of the kids can drive the spare to me.

Most recently though, Ron outfitted the door with a keyless entry keypad so I don't even have to worry about a house key any more!
E6A1CB11-0C35-4009-8F8D-DC095AC62664.jpeg

Not me but a young woman who was in charge of a
hotel one night in Dublin Ireland, she was the barmaid
and I don't know if there should have been a manager
or if he had gone out, anyway, she started to panic, the
bar was fairly busy, but overly so. She started asking all
of us who were sitting at the bar if we had seen her keys,
the main bunch of keys for all the hotel, she couldn't get
out from behind the bar without jumping over a half door,
we all helped of course, but nobody found the keys, there
had been no new guests, but she had gone behind the
reception desk to take a call, still no keys.

After several hours, or so it seemed, but definitely at least
one hour and lots of tearsby the lady herself, she came back
to the bar all smiles with the keys, she wouldn't say where
they had been, but she di tell me later that she found them
in the main fridge in the hotel kitchen, none of us knew how
they got there though.

Mike.

A few years ago, my keys accidentally dropped down the elevator shaft of my building. (There's a narrow space between the elevator car and the wall, big enough for a set of keys.) The building manager told me there is no way of getting them back.

I bought a new set, pretty expensive, as my car remote was on it. About 6 weeks later, a clerk from the manager's office came running down the hall, calling me. She had my keys! Turned out some maintenance workers had been down there and turned my keys in to the office, and she remembered that I had reported mine down there.

It was nice getting them back, but would have been even nicer before I spent a fortune on the new car remote!

OMG...the elevator shaft...I forgot!
Back in the 80s I worked on the 7th floor of an old office building. When I got home from work I realized I needed something for an out-of-town presentation the following morning. So, I drove back to the office, got what I needed, and as I got back into the elevator.....oooooopppppsssss.....the keys slipped out of my hand and down that crack between the elevator and the floor.

:eek: :(

Long to short, I made some phone calls, the elevator company sent a guy who fished out my keys. I had to pay him, but I got reimbursed. After that I often cringed when I saw that space at the edge of an elevator.

Last edited:
Keys!!! Aghh!!! Bane of my life they are.

Have locked myself out a few times and had to ask my neighbour a key holder to help.

Living solo I have to be careful about keys. I have a key safe provided by a life line set up so have to tap in a code i created to get to the keys: one day last year I locked myself out and thought ahhh the keysafe! Tapped out the code and it rejected it a few times so...asked asked next door who was in luckily.

When I got indoors looked up the code...yep. youve got it in one...wrong code and a digit out!!!😩 so I now have the code drilled into my brain.

The other day I locked myself in my porch..erm...yeah. I picked up my bag went to the front inner door put the latch off and shut it......😨😠 my house keys were in the kitchen and the porch door was locked too. So.. I was trapped in my porch and didnt pick up my mobile so couldnt call for help! Then it dawned on me that some time back I had two keys cut and had hid them in a camouflage stone where only I would know about (in the porch forgot to add that)..in the unlikely event if this happening to me....and it did!! 😦😅 I raised my eyes to the heavens and breathed THFT!!!
More horror stories on their way....😞😆

Last edited:
I do like Ronni does in many ways. I hang my keys from my purse ring with a hook, haven't lost them since doing that. But, I have locked myself out of the car a few times, twice with the motor running. I keep a single spare house key in my wallet with the coins. I also keep a set buried in a place near my front door inside a plastic baggie. What I keep misplacing around the house is my reading glasses, once I left them in the garage but luckily I remembered where.

Here's another nightmare saga that happened before I had the key safe installed:

I drove to the local cemetery to pay my respects and tidy the grave of a my Husband. and in the boot/luggage compartment is a bag of bits and bobs to use for the task.
It was dry and chilly day thank goodness and I set about getting on with it and opened the boot door to get things out.
My car with central locking that opetates dually: if I lock my four doors the boot locks as well but the latter can be independent from the main doors - hard to explain.
My handbag and phone was in the locked car and as I put the plastic bag with the cleaning stuff in I didnt realise and somehow my main car keys fell into the luggage compartment the boot and I slammed the lid down and realised the main car keys were locked in the boot!!!😨

So...with my handbag locked in the car with my phone I was stuffed. I was erm..upset is too finer a point. I stood motionless panicking as the cemetery is a fair walk to my home and meant I'd have to do this in order to get the spare car key which by rights should have been in my handbag...good job it wadnt eh !! Stroke of luck I had my house keys in my coat pocket and not in my handbag.:rolleyes:

I walked home let myself in picked up the car spare and walked back. So, now I had access to my main car doors. Drove home in a right state and thought that my dear Hubby would :eek::rolleyes::LOL: if he was still alive.

If your confused then no more than I am trying to explain it all 😮😅

Last edited:
Back in the 70s we went to a competition of high school bands in Ft Lauderdale. After it was over we returned to the car and I discovered that I did not have the keys. What had happened was that I put them down to look for something and then got out andd locked the car. I could see them in the floor through the window. Everyone was leaving, but with so many cars it was slow going. I saw a motorhome in the mass of vehicles and I went over and asked the driver if he had a wire coat hanger in his closet that I could have. He did and I used it to get into my car. Since then my keys are either in my pocket or in the ignition switch. The buzzer will tell you if you open the door while they are still in the switch.

Once I was on a lunch run for a meeting at work. I had to go to three places in the same strip mall to pick up food. When I got back to my car, no keys. I backtracked to every place I had been, no keys. I checked the sidewalk and stuck my head in every door to see if anyone had turned them in, no keys.

One of the restaurant managers directed a busboy to run me back the office (bless him!).

The lunch meeting starts and everyone starts digging into their meals. One guy opens his box and says, "Hey, I found your keys!"

Back