Who can you trust when comes to money?

Have a fourth cousin that is power attorney on my will and now she wants to control where the money is spent. She in past worked for the funeral home and wants to spend 25.000 dollars on a funeral. Also wants to spend on home nurses which I don't need right now. Her family are nurses. I think I would Think I would let the state of Tennessee control my estate instead of family?
I think you can trust the state of Tennessee more than that cousin. And that's not saying much for your cousin, believe me.

The state will only do what's legal. You're cousin? Maybe not.

I'm an only child and have no children. My partner is in my will. He doesn't know much about finances or managing money, but he is close with his sister, who is very responsible and is a CPA. They will figure it out. She is next in line if we both go. I know any hard-earned money that I've accumulated will be spent wisely.

Have a fourth cousin that is power attorney on my will and now she wants to control where the money is spent. She in past worked for the funeral home and wants to spend 25.000 dollars on a funeral. Also wants to spend on home nurses which I don't need right now. Her family are nurses. I think I would Think I would let the state of Tennessee control my estate instead of family?
$25,000??? Are you going to have a gold-plated casket??? OMG!

My mother (RIP) was a tough women to give advice to. She never let anyone help her with anything and when I'd try to tell her (advise her) what she should do after my dad passed away, she told me I didn't know anything. I stopped worrying about her because we lived in different states and I never knew what was going on with her. Then, I stopped hearing from her and when I called her, she was very short with me and I knew something was going on. We made a trip from TX (where we lived) to MI (where she lived) in 2003 to see her. She didn't want anything to do with me and called her next door neighbors to come over and to call the police to get me out of the house. The neighbors came over but did not call the police.

Well, it was an eye-opening scene and we left. When she passed away in 2006, I found out that she had given them POA and had given them her house, bank accounts...everything and cut me out of everything. She had no money when she died and not even a decent dress to be buried in. They sucked her dry...and she let them. She wouldn't listen to anyone beforehand.

Don't let this happen to you.

$25,000??? Are you going to have a gold-plated casket??? OMG!

My mother (RIP) was a tough women to give advice to. She never let anyone help her with anything and when I'd try to tell her (advise her) what she should do after my dad passed away, she told me I didn't know anything. I stopped worrying about her because we lived in different states and I never knew what was going on with her. Then, I stopped hearing from her and when I called her, she was very short with me and I knew something was going on. We made a trip from TX (where we lived) to MI (where she lived) in 2003 to see her. She didn't want anything to do with me and called her next door neighbors to come over and to call the police to get me out of the house. The neighbors came over but did not call the police.

Well, it was an eye-opening scene and we left. When she passed away in 2006, I found out that she had given them POA and had given them her house, bank accounts...everything and cut me out of everything. She had no money when she died and not even a decent dress to be buried in. They sucked her dry...and she let them. She wouldn't listen to anyone beforehand.

Don't let this happen to you.
This type of thing happens far too often. I saw my mother's stepfather do the same thing. My mom's mother had passed before all this happened, or it would never have happened. My grandfather cut my parents out of their will and gave everything to my sister, who lived where they did and worked behind my parents backs over a period of years. I won't go into the details. My parents did just fine in retirement anyway and my sister blew the money they got from our grandparents and were broke when they wanted to retire. Things did not go well for them in retirement. Funny how things seem to work out! The lesson here is to do the right thing, or you will pay a price...

This type of thing happens far too often. I saw my mother's stepfather do the same thing. My mom's mother had passed before all this happened, or it would never have happened. My grandfather cut my parents out of their will and gave everything to my sister, who lived where they did and worked behind my parents backs over a period of years. I won't go into the details. My parents did just fine in retirement anyway and my sister blew the money they got from our grandparents and were broke when they wanted to retire. Things did not go well for them in retirement. Funny how things seem to work out! The lesson here is to do the right thing, or you will pay a price...
Yup...Karma always has a way of coming back around, doesn't it? The way I see it is...we'll all stand accountable someday for what we've said and done.

Nobody can bleep you over like family. You have to be really careful.

I do have my stepfather's power of attorney for both health and financial. Have a key to his home. I'd never think for a second of touching a penny of his money while he is of sound mind and body. When he dies, everything will go to my name and I'll take care of things from there including selling his mobile home. The burden will be mine. My brother will just wait for a check should there be any.

I have his medical also. He doesn't realize how easy it will be for me to let him go. Though it's all in writing he wants nothing done. He is over 90. No CPR, no gastric tube feeding, no intensive care.

Back