Who likes sushi?

Only cooked or California rolls for me.

My biggest issue is the size. I can’t plop a whole roll in my mouth and they seem impossible to just take a bite without it crumbling.

I was actually surprised that they wanted to go to Sapporo rather than a restaurant that served American food.
Youth now are raised with more adventurous dining experiences than most of us.

Just FYI:
Sushi is pressed rice. That's ALL it means. It can be seasoned or left plain. If seasoned, it will be either with a bit of salt, or a vinegar/sugar syrup - both help keep the rice from spoiling on hot days.

There are no rules for fillings or toppings. Leftover ham or grilled chicken? A slice or two of steak? Feel free to use it up! Grilled eggplant, lightly brushed with miso, is a wonderful filling when rolled up with rice in a sheet of nori (seaweed, toasted or not, as preferred). Carrots - cucumber - asparagus; anything goes.

Sashimi is raw fish. All sushi-grade fish brought into this country must be frozen for 3-7 days to kill parasites. A properly flash-frozen fish is virtually indistinguishable from fresh-caught. The best fish is processed right on the boat that catches it; these are huge trawlers, not a friend's 16-footer.

It is a mistake to think that freshly-caught means "free of parasites". That is not true. However, most parasites in fish, especially fresh-water fish, are not fatal to eat.

You should always check regularly with your state water authorities to find out how clean that lake really is. Water quality is not a static thing.

There are two kinds of "wasabi". The cheap kind is the bright green, smooth paste. That's reconstituted from canned powder and is mostly horseradish and/or mustard powder.

The real wasabi root is very expensive. It will be finely grated - a soft heap. The color is green but not quite so neon as the powdered paste. True wasabi has a lovely floral fragrance and just a hint of bite, but without harshness. It is quite unlike the paste, and will usually be charged for separately, if it's available at all.

My first introduction to Sashimi was back in the 60's, along with other different foods like Kimchi and Kelaguen.
Ate a lot of Kimchi in High School because my best friend's Mom made the best on the Island.
Kelaguen is my favorite and I experiment with the peppers used.
Rice has been my go to side since then and I mix just about anything with the right seasoning.
( Discovered Finadenne condiment while stationed in Guam and it's great for fish. )

Wife won't try any of those, and I'm left to enjoy those by myself, especially Kimchi! ( "What smell?" I say... )

( If you are keeping score, that's 2 things I have to do alone. 1. Listen to Jazz 2. Eat Kimchi ) :)

>>( If you are keeping score, that's 2 things I have to do alone. 1. Listen to Jazz 2. Eat Kimchi ) :) -- from Feelslikefar>>

Okay, that made me ROFL! There were two things my mother ate that nobody else did. They would sit in the fridge and we would all go, "Ewwwww......"

One was pickled herring in sour cream. I like it now, but not as a kid

The other I STILL don't like. It smelled like stinky gym shoes to me. But I know it has its fans - Liederkranz cheesel

One of our daughters makes sushi....using fish (walleye) they have caught in their nearby lake. I like that, knowing where the fish came from. However, I would be a bit leery of eating ANY raw fish/seafood without knowing its source. After seeing some of the reports of "commercial" fish, and the conditions they are grown in, I Never eat any grocery store, or restaurant fish that isn't well cooked.
I'm with you. I want to know the where/when caught and who prepared.

I don't know if I like it or not because I can't bring myself to try it. And doubt I ever will.
Being an adventurous eater since childhood it was one several things new to me i tried (some i ate more often than others once tried) while living in Honolulu in the 70's. My housemates and i were having a party, bought a fresh caught tuna at the beach direct from the fisheman. Roasted half with lemon and herbs, made sushi of the other half. My housemate made a spicy mustard sauce too. I told him '"If i think too much about what it is, it could influence how i react. Wait till I'm in animated conversation with someone and just offer me some on a fork, saying 'try this.'" He did, and i ate it and took the small plate with several pieces and some sauce on it from his other hand and chowed down.

Last edited:
Too bad about the superstitions surrounding sushi. How long do ya'all think a sushi place(or super market) would be in business if people were

getting sick from what's served? Not real long! Sushi is made from ocean fish that have been deep frozen, in order to kill any microbes or

parasites. The pre-packaged grocery store rolls are not sushi, they are California rolls, typically made with rice, imitation crab(with added

preservatives) and some cucumber or avocado.

Back