Why Are People Hoarding Hydrogen Peroxide?

With both hand sanitizer and alcohol being in short supply, some people are using it to disinfect things. I use it for cuts and mouthwash {only when I run out of the other mouthwash}. As far a sanitizing goes, pure grain alcohol works well, outside and in.
I hope you're referring to hydrogen peroxide and not ammonia! :eek:

The other active ingredient in the WHO formula is rubbing alcohol - and I had no idea that it came in different strengths, either! Mine was a little shy of 100 proof - sadly, I don't have any moonshine to substitute! (-:
We are better off using 70% instead of 90% because it does not evaporate from the surfaces as quickly as 90%. Also, speaking of moonshine Everclear grain alcohol is recommended if all else is not available. It is available in all liquor stores. Do not drink it unless you know what the stuff is.

The Walmarts in my area have never run out of hydrogen peroxide. It has been available throughout the Covid 19 crisis and today Walmart shelves were fully stocked with the product.
I was surprised to see earloop face masks today at Wmart, 50 masks for $30 which is a much better price that I have seen on the web. They even had some hand sanitizer at the regular price.
However, Lysol spray is not on the shelves.

I'm not sure that the fact that certain items seem to be missing from the stores means that people are necessariy hoarding them. A lot of items are just strangely not there. This seems to be very specialized.

For instance, I like Diet Coke, but only the caffeine-free kind. The stores around here all have tons of Diet Coke, but not a single bottle of the caffeine-free kind is to be found. Why, for heaven's sake?

The peroxide could be missing for any number of reasons.

You know come to think of it I don't recall seein any of that decaf stuff. I'm a coffee man so I'm not too concerned about that pop. Sunny you know anything I could use that would be the equivalent to peroxide?

I use HP in the container I keep my dentures in, keeps them clean and fresh.
Also, like Katlupe have used it as an oral rinse.
Local Walmart is well stocked with sanitizer, masks and bleach, even found some Lysol wipes last week.
Peroxide was in dollar tree.

After cleaning it with soap & water, dry, then apply Neosporin, then bandaid. Peroxide evaporates. Neosporin stays on & also kills several strains of bacteria. That's why it's used after minor surgery.

You know come to think of it I don't recall seein any of that decaf stuff. I'm a coffee man so I'm not too concerned about that pop. Sunny you know anything I could use that would be the equivalent to peroxide?

Sorry, no, River. I don't even know what peroxide is used for, other than in the old days to create very fake-looking blond hair. šŸ˜

Not me; I don't hoard anything. I am joining a movement called "Minmalism" (I hate that word; can't even spell the darn thing). Basically, it's about getting rid of stuff & getting a life. Most people are held prisoners by all the junk they have accumulated over the years. There is a great feeling of being free & not waste your life cleaning, storage, insuring, trying to find, trying to sell, etc. stuff. I know what I'm talking about. My brother was a hoarder. He died with a lot of stuff. His nephew had to haul many loads to the dump site. We "shot" his cremated bone fragments down a hole in the cemetery yesterday. He died a lonely bitter old man (87). All his "treasures" became someone's headache to get rid off. There is a lesson here for all of us that are still living.

When I was a child my grandmother used to say, "After a while you stop owning your stuff and it starts owning you."
This was in the late 1950s. She was a wise woman.

Back