Why do some people not capitalize I when writing?

I remember doing that. I had a point. I don't remember what the point was. Could the few of you who use 'i' instead of 'I' please explain why? Does your keyboard not capitalize? Been curious about this for awhile now. Thanks.
It's only a speculative guess Pepper, but if you were to text me using lower case only, the program in your phone would correct any grammatical errors, such as capital omissions, punctuation and incorrect spelling. Some people rely so much on that corrective technology that they forget that it won't happen on this forum. There again, what do I know?

Or could it show equality with others? I don't even know why I said that! Or, not low self esteem as you point out but that the self is no more important than, say, he or she or you? I can't remember if I capitalized when it was word #1, but if I didn't that shows thought behind the process. But what thought?
Whenever I see the lowercase "I," I think of a young child, or an artist, or someone who doesn't follow rules well. That's what pops in my mind whenever I see that. I don't know why they do that.

sometimes, depending on how my words are being input, capitalization is the least of my concerns.
that i've spelled correctly and kept my paragraphs short enough so that no one complains that they
can't follow what i write, i try my best. but it seems like best, bad or mediocre, not many here really
listen to much of what i say, unless they can use it in some way against me. or to twist it into what
they'd rather say, making me look like the fool. MY CAPITALIZATION ISNT AS IMPORTANT TO ME
AS MY THOUGHTS TO BE KNOWN ARE. Sorry if that last bit was overdramatic but thats what i felt.
Whoa girl, settle down. I read your stuff.

If you really want people to read and understand what you are writting then use proper capitalizaiton, grammar and other rules of writing. If you don't care about whether people are reading what you write, then why bother putting it out to the public?

When I see something like this:

i dont need to capitize stuff and follow othere peoples rules creativty is important to me and if they dont like it that is there problem what a bunch of grammer nazis i dont care if they arent reeding what i right i rite four my own self if you cant reed what i rote that isnt my problem its yours WHY WOULD YOU NOT READ ALL CAPS CAPS MAKE IT EASY TO SEA WERE ONE SENTENCE ENDS AND A NEW ONE BEGINS BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT TOUGH IF IT MAKES IT HARDER FOR YOU TO READ WHAT I RIGHT YOUVE GOT TO BE MORE FLEXIBLE SEW I DONT HAVE TO FOLLOW YOURE SILLY RULES

I realize that the above writer doesn't care if i read it or not. Otherwise why make it so hard to read?

Oh, never sign a contract that has bad grammar or punctuation. IIRC, one missing comma in a union contract caused a trucking company 14 million dollars because the missing comma led to different ways of interpreting a clause in the contract.

Last edited:
If you really want people to read and understand what you are writting then use proper capitalizaiton, grammar and other rules of writing. If you don't care about whether people are reading what you write, then why bother putting it out to the public?

When I see something like this:
i dont need to capitize stuff and follow othere peoples rules creativty is important to me and if they dont like it that is there problem what a bunch of grammer nazis i dont care if they arent reeding what i right i rite four my own self if you cant reed what i rote that isnt my problem its yours WHY WOULD YOU NOT READ ALL CAPS CAPS MAKE IT EASY TO SEA WERE ONE SENTENCE ENDS AND A NEW ONE BEGINS BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT TOUGH IF IT MAKES IT HARDER FOR YOU TO READ WHAT I RIGHT YOUVE GOT TO BE MORE FLEXIBLE SEW I DONT HAVE TO FOLLOW YOURE SILLY RULES

I realize that the above writer doesn't care if i read it or not. Otherwise why make it so hard to read?

Oh, never sign a contract that has bad grammar or punctuation. IIRC, one missing comma in a union contract caused a trucking company 14 million dollars because the missing comma led to different ways of interpreting a clause in the contract.
I'm sure I'm not always perfectly correct in my writing, but I try to be. I don't expect perfection from others, but it's nice when they at least make an effort. Furthermore, I agree with you @Brookswood. Incorrect spelling, punctuation, and grammar change the way you're perceived. Some people don't care or are just lazy. There are those who deliberately write in an offbeat style, for lack of a better description, because they think it makes them more interesting to read, they think it's cute, and/or it calls attention to them because their odd language stands out. That's fine. I don't find it charming or interesting, it's confusing and annoying. I won't acknowledge them or respond to them because I have no interest in deciphering their posts. Make it difficult for me to read, and I'll just ignore it.

I'm sure I'm not always perfectly correct in my writing, but I try to be. I don't expect perfection from others, but it's nice when they at least make an effort. Furthermore, I agree with you @Brookswood. Incorrect spelling, punctuation, and grammar change the way you're perceived. Some people don't care or are just lazy. There are those who deliberately write in an offbeat style, for lack of a better description, because they think it makes them more interesting to read, they think it's cute, and/or it calls attention to them because their odd language stands out. That's fine. I don't find it charming or interesting, it's confusing and annoying. I won't acknowledge them or respond to them because I have no interest in deciphering their posts. Make it difficult for me to read, and I'll just ignore it.
I agree with all that you said.

Back