Why do you live in the town you live in and what keeps you there?

I bought this house in 1978 and aid off the mortgage in 2003. I have no rent/mortgage to pay so I live here relatively inexpensively. I've kept up on maintenance and repairs as they crop up, so no major expenses on that. I have no intentions of moving anywhere else. This is the longest I've lived anywhere in my entire life - and I love it.

This seems like as good a thread as any to say hello. We were fortunate to relocate to Sun Valley, Idaho from NYC area in 2019 so we could enjoy the outdoors on a daily basis, summer, fall, and winter. Spring or "mud time" isn't so great, but we go camping south of here or do our indoor fitness activities until the snow melts. We've been here for 4 years and are enjoying ourselves immensely. Our daughter followed us out and lives in Boise now so that is going to keep us here for a while.
Ahhhh, mud season. My least favorite time of the year in Vermont.

mud season.jpg mud-car.jpg

After a 35 year absence, I moved back to the town I grew up in 3 years ago. Mainly as my house was becoming too much for me, and a move to an apartment was the logical next step. Moving close to old friends, and family who still lived in the area was a main reason for the decision

I'm afraid there are some who won't get it. 🤣 🤣
Founded in Manchester, Vermont, in 1856 by Charles F. Orvis to sell fishing tackle, it is the oldest mail-order retailer in the United States.
I think the Hudson's Bay Company has that beat......Founded in 1670, still in business, including their Northern Stores company that has locations all over the Canadian Arctic regions. HBC is the largest fur trading company in the world. Their Northern Stores do accept fur as payment for goods you buy in their stores, and if you can afford it, they will fly in frozen pizza for you. JimB.

When I got married back in 1988 I was living in town but we wanted to live and raise kids in a rual setting, we ended up building a home right up the road from where I grew up. All total I have spent 55 years of my life on this road, never really planned on staying here so long but like it enough I don't want to leave.

I moved to a warmer climate after I retired. Not Florida though some north parts of the Panhandle appealed to me.
Summer can be very hot and some weeks of winter can be chilly like Blue Jean Jacket type but I'm good with the offer
of Diversity. Hope all have the opportunity to make their bucket lists.

Love being near the water. Don't care for boating (I tried to like it but just wasn't for me). Just being near the ocean is enough for me.
Being a small coastal town, its not very well known and thats how we like it. Everyone waves and greets people, many times stop and chat for sometimes too long, a friendly community.

We do have an influx of summer people starting in May/June, mostly summer home people. Many homes are empty during the Fall/Winter when they go back to where they live the rest of the year. Many homes are from the whaling days, dating back to the 1700, 1800's, whaling ship captan homes. Small General Store that has just about everything.

Many times I ride my bicycle down there, pick up some nice freshly cut steaks from the butcher and a bottle of wine for dinner. Yell at Jack on my way out, 'Put it on my bill Jack!' Its that kind of place. The perfect place to retire, well for me anyway....Nothing like seeing the sunrise coming up over the bay every day.....never gets old.

Love being near the water. Don't care for boating (I tried to like it but just wasn't for me). Just being near the ocean is enough for me.
Being a small coastal town, its not very well known and thats how we like it. Everyone waves and greets people, many times stop and chat for sometimes too long, a friendly community.

We do have an influx of summer people starting in May/June, mostly summer home people. Many homes are empty during the Fall/Winter when they go back to where they live the rest of the year. Many homes are from the whaling days, dating back to the 1700, 1800's, whaling ship captan homes. Small General Store that has just about everything.

Many times I ride my bicycle down there, pick up some nice freshly cut steaks from the butcher and a bottle of wine for dinner. Yell at Jack on my way out, 'Put it on my bill Jack!' Its that kind of place. The perfect place to retire, well for me anyway....Nothing like seeing the sunrise coming up over the bay every day.....never gets old.
Now I would love to live in a little place by the sea like you describe... :love:

Bought a house here in 2006 and didn't know a soul in this town ... but ...
Pros
- Adjacent to a military installation where I can use retired military benefits
- No state tax on retired military pay
- No state tax on social security
- Exempt from local property taxes by age and income
- Far enough back that hurricanes are less severe but day trip close to Gulf of Mexico beaches
- Love old houses and I live in an old house in the oldest part of town. It's quiet
- Backyard neighbor is a county circuit judge. Next door neighbor is a professor with a doctorate. Others are a mixed bag
- Easy walk to downtown
- Good percentage of the population is active duty and retired military
- Garbage, sewer AND water combined is $60 a month
- Big stores that fill all shopping needs
- Much larger city only 25miles away when needed for specialized personal and pet health care
Cons
- The others that are a mixed bag

Back