Why do you live in the town you live in and what keeps you there?

I ended up in Beaufort, S.C. after a long Law Enforcement career (42 years 7 months, 13 days, 9 hours and 52 seconds). I came from a long line of L.E. Officers, my great grandfather grandfather, Father and 2 older brothers. In 1979 I was sworn in as a Deputy Sheriff with the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office. I retired there in 2008 after attaining the rank of Lieutenant in a Dept. with 165 sworn Officers. I served as a Police Officer for 16 &1/2 years prior to being hired by BCSO.

I began my career as Police Chief in Ehrhardt, S.C. I served as Police Chief in other S.C. towns prior to going to BCSO. I would be severely remiss if I did not point out that I DEARLY LOVED each second of those 42 years 7 months, 13 days, 9 hours and 52 seconds, I served honorably, and proudly in a career I treasured!

Much cheaper! I pay a few hundred a month living in a 2 bedroom that would cost thousands on the open rental market! I'd be homeless without this place.

eta
I own. There are only owners here, no subletting allowed and we have no HOA, we have an elected board & a mgmt. co.
It's great that your situation is like mine. I wouldn't be homeless if I had to move to a comparable apartment, but my budget would be very tight. We pay between about 24% - 37% of what comparable apartments cost depending on their locations.

I live where I live because it's only a 13 minute drive to both of my son's houses. It's an easy commute for Michelle, too, within 25 minutes to her job and her school. Also, this area is exclusively residential except for a Bel Air Market just a few blocks from my house. And it's one of the smallest Bel Air Markets in Calif, which is nice....close and not a lot of walking to get the shopping done but they have everything, including an actual butcher, a deli, and a really good bakery.

I'm not fond of Sacramento at all. It's kind of a mess, really. There's several places I'd rather live, but I like this specific neighborhood a lot, for all the reasons above, and also, it's peaceful here, and I have really good neighbors, too.

we chillin.jpg

Born and raised here in east Texas. I have lived in other places but moved back in the early 90’s to take care of my aging mother. We both sold our respective houses and together bought the house I live in currently. My mother unexpectedly died after us living here only about 3 years. I have no family in the area but both my niece and nephew have assured me they will be here if I call. I also have a wonderful neighbor who is always available to haul me around if, for some reason, I cannot drive myself.

My house is comfortable, near everything and almost paid for. I’ve done a few “aging in place” upgrades and plan some more. I’ve considered selling, perhaps buying a townhouse in a 55+ community or moving closer to family but I just can’t imagine being happy in a different city plus housing costs are still so inflated here that I couldn’t purchase without a new mortgage and higher payments. I may have to do that someday but my health is fine and I just got a new knee that is supposed to last 20 years so I think I’m in a pretty good place.

I ended up in Beaufort, S.C. after a long Law Enforcement career (42 years 7 months, 13 days, 9 hours and 52 seconds). I came from a long line of L.E. Officers, my great grandfather grandfather, Father and 2 older brothers. In 1979 I was sworn in as a Deputy Sheriff with the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office. I retired there in 2008 after attaining the rank of Lieutenant in a Dept. with 165 sworn Officers. I served as a Police Officer for 16 &1/2 years prior to being hired by BCSO.

I began my career as Police Chief in Ehrhardt, S.C. I served as Police Chief in other S.C. towns prior to going to BCSO. I would be severely remiss if I did not point out that I DEARLY LOVED each second of those 42 years 7 months, 13 days, 9 hours and 52 seconds, I served honorably, and proudly in a career I treasured!
any firm views on gun control over there??

Back