Why is the US birthrate of about 4 million kids per year the same for over 30 years?

The ONS data, released on Thursday, showed there were 605,479 live births in England and Wales in 2022. That was down 3.1% from 624,828 in 2021 – and the lowest number since 2002, when there were 596,122.

The number of babies born in England and Wales in a year dropped in 2022 to the lowest level in two decades, according to official figures.
It follows the recent trend of decreasing live births, which had been the case before the pandemic, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

At the same time since 2001, the foreign-born population of the UK has risen by 4.5 million, doubling to about nine million by 2019/20.

a decrease in child birth means less younger people to fill jobs and assist the older - as we grow older for longer years we need assistance and care?

the younger generations in all societies have an obligation to assist the older and elderly - its human nature

another solution is to INCREASE immigration of larger families with many children who will provide a workforce for the future - the immigration can be well organized and controlled or uncontrolled as the boats swarm in?? - take ya pic - simple maths and social dynamics??

Exactly what is the difference between "decent people" and " those with lower standards"? Be specific, please.

I still find it hard to understand why there's is that self imposed 4 million limit in births. How does it happen?
it may be decreased fertility rates as well ..... health issues in young seem worse then when i was younger... several young women i know too obese and pregnancy is dangerous if possible at all.
many find out they can not have babies at least the old fashioned way........ lots using IVF ect .... very expensive to do that route.

I would say it is easy to see if you have insight to younger family type groups ... if you have a diverse group you will SEE the people with lower standards
i am in close touch with daughter and her friends.... for example
she and some friends who if building a future who plan out and may have at most 2 kids.... having kids with a sense of how much time and money needed to really provide for needs and wants .... same thing i did .... WE decided if we had anymore it would greatly limit how many extras or vacations or activities we could afford

My SILs family is a prime example of the other half.
SIL's 3 siblings ( unemployed or working in dead end type jobs ) have had 11 kids between them ............most with several different dads or even moms ...............they have no plan in their 30s living with parents or family .......often on assistance.

3/4 of these kids either born with health or mental issues .......or have developed them one ...........young girl about 6th grade so obese she wears size 16 clothes......No stability ... eat fast food and junk and as daughter said she HOPES they will be sterile to stop the cycle of poverty and bad choices.
SIL told me of losing his childhood treasures because his parents would wake kids up middle of night grab only the basics and run from being evicted.. several times they had 5 kids....... correlation???
3 out of 4 siblings repeating the pattern... with their own kids
my grandson takes karate classes and asked his dad if he took classes or did activities and SIL told them the truth ... they only could go to the one or 2 free try it classes as his parents never could afford all the items my daughters family enjoys.

my SIL is a good dad and excellent provider which is absolutely unheard of in his family ..... my daughters family has almost no contact because his family all have their hands out....

I think the social dynamics have changed. There has been a decline in marriage. More people are choosing to live apart, but still have a relationship, albeit, without children. The days are gone when a woman felt she needed to marry someone to survive financially. Now, more women than ever are pursuing careers, and having children can hamper that a bit.

In the past, having sex without marriage was taboo, but now it is commonplace, and besides, if things don't work out, divorce can get very messy and costly. In addition, birth control came to the rescue, so accidental births have become less common.

Many women choose not to marry, but have a child either by adoption or a sperm donor, because they simply haven't met Mr. Wonderful, or they like their life as a single. Some just want to create a life that works for them and pursue their passions. Some just like freedom. The end result is fewer children, even if the population grows.

Whatever the reason it's a good sign. And the rate needs to go down by a lot more. The Earth is already way overpopulated. That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it.
A healthy population is when you have as many babies as old people.

The earth is not overpopulated, but certain regions are.

imo, youth makes everything sustainable. The planet will suffer when there are far more old people than young ones.

It's all explained in the beginning of one of my favorite movies.

Back