Why is the word "thread" so weird?

Paco Dennis

SF VIP
Thread can mean

"1. thin string of cotton, wool, silk, etc. used for sewing or making cloth

2. an idea or a feature that is part of something greater; an idea that connects the different parts of something
"

here is the weird part it can also mean

"3. the raised line that runs around the length of a screw and that allows it to be fixed in place by twisting"

how are they related?

"word origin...Old English thrǣd (noun), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch draad and German Draht, also to the verb throw. The verb dates from late Middle English."

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/thread_1

It seems to me, :rolleyes:like many words have some root , or concept, or a history of usage that evolved over time, that applies to the meaning,

and then, that the word is often used somewhat metaphorically in addition.....which I guess would pertain to the first 2 meanings, above.;)

That third one, in my mind, is as if a thread is wrapped around the screw, forming that twisting raised line on its surface....but of course,
I don't really know what I'm talking about. :geek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I am Just sharing my thoughts and ideas.
I love curiosity. :)

Why is it, that the sky is painted blue?????:giggle::unsure::sneaky::whistle::whistle:

Why is the word "thread" so weird?​

I am Just sharing my thoughts and ideas.
Mine;

Because they tend to wend their way thru yer grey matter
"3. the raised line that runs around the length of a screw and that allows it to be fixed in place by twisting"
and when you post a smart ass reply in a thread, (like I'm doing now) most times you end up screwed

I think I might have had some spiroids,
in my vegetable soup, last night. :unsure::rolleyes:
There's some leftover, if you'd like to try some.:giggle::)

~~~~~~

Then again, it might be that there's a web of spiroids, :LOL:
on the porch stairs, near the doorway. They're probably looking for someplace warmer to go, with winter coming closer.

Back