Why would people want to live in a 55 plus community?

The mother-in-law, my wife's mother moved to an elder care complex just before the covid thing hit. She was tired of staying home alone and relatives would avoid visiting her because she is such domineering controlling person who does not know when to keep her mouth shut. She tells other people how to live their life's and does not know how to let two people work out their problems. She has to interfere and be the third wheel there by stepping up the problem to the next highest level. I have heard that she likes it at the retirement community she is 90 years old and the 55+ group is like living with her adult children, so she feels she needs to be the 3rd wheel and tell the youngsters how to live their lives.

Bolivar, you sound angry, and maybe you have had an unusually bad experience. As a long-time resident of a 55-plus community, my reaction on reading your list of nastiness was that it's the exact opposite of my own experience. Maybe this is unfortunately true of some senior communities, but there are probably thousands of such communities by now; how can you generalize about all of them like that?

It's like saying, "How can anyone want to live in a city? There are lots of bad people in cities." Yeah, but...

Bratty kids? We very seldom see kids of any sort around here, and I would put that down as a defect in senior communities. I like kids. Occasionally, on the weekend or holidays, we do see a kid or two, visiting their grandparents. I have never seen a single one acting "bratty."

Here, relatives are not allowed to live with the seniors. That would negate calling it a "senior community." They can come for short visits, that's it. Younger people are usually here for quick visits. I have never heard any visitors make noise of any kind.

Hookers? Drug dealers? You've gotta be kidding. We have a practically nonexistent crime rate. And any hooker hanging around here looking for business would probably starve. 😁

About the bullying (I've never seen it) and general cruelty, I've never seen that either. It might exist here and there, as people are people, and you might find that in any apartment house or gated community, or anyplace else where you get lots of people of any age. I haven't seen any particular "immaturity" either, though some of the oldest people do slide into dementia, and usually end up moving to assisted living, or some other arrangement.

I think your description is ridiculous. And your attitude sounds hostile.

Have lived in our 55+ community for 22 years, 3 years full time now. I find none of these disadvantages to be true, at least not in our community. If it wasn’t for a few chimes on our place and neighbors house, it would be dead quiet. No one gets into pool without a fob and seldom are there any kids there. Must be with an adult if they use the pool.
Some small crimes, mostly taking things out of unlocked cars, but this is happening everywhere.
I might mention that we own our own land, no rent here. Wouldn’t live in a park that charges rent as prices are going out of sight.

I have researched this a lot ....and I agree with this person this is for your information only I don't care if you have an opinion or comment or not...take it or leave it.

When we first moved to one, the reasons were simple.
  • We wanted to use the pool without brats jumping over our heads and barely missing us and splashing us.
  • We yearned for the quiet that kids rob us of.
  • We thought it would be safer and well protected.
  • We were under the impression that seniors were mature and would gather well and it would be a great community.
None of that turned out to be the reality.
  • Senior communities aren’t void of bratty kids. They bring their grandkids to the pool.
  • Senior communities aren’t quiet. Most have relatives living with them who make more noise than kids.
  • Senior communities are far from safe. Hookers and drug dealers and swindlers frequent these communities and prey on lonely seniors, often ripping them off.
  • Seniors are often so immature you have senior bullying, senior gossip, senior cliques, you name it.
We found that this was the worst apartment complex we had ever moved into. So we bought a home and now have everything we dreamed of.

Our friend lives in one of these communities still, though, He hates the petty bitches that click and cluck over all their gossip. He hates the angry men, who have no testosterone but still try to act tough. He hates the bickering, the lies, the deaths all of it.

I wouldn’t live with seniors again if the government paid me to. I’ve never seen a more dysfunctional community.
I'm happy that this person was able to get out and into a place of peace they can enjoy as they'd hoped. Yeesh.

I live in a 55plus community. I am happy here, I feel safe. I do not have to worry about maintenance only the interior which is helpful being that I am a widow. I love to hear the children happily playing in the pool. I do not listen to gossip, I have great neighbours and although I do not mix a lot I am happy to help out when needed.
It takes all sorts to make a community, you obviously chose one that was not suitable for you.
Happy it's working so well for you. :)

Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm 80, the typical amenities would be desirable but I'm used to the freedom of living in this rural area on a multi-acre property, with the nearest neighbor being at least 150 yards away. I would hate having a homeowner's association dictating every little detail "allowed" on my property.

Not for me, but I can see how it would appeal to city, and town dwellers. It would be nice if everyone could live where they want, but fiscal reality all to often dictates for many.
My brother & SIL live in a Del Webb seniors community in NW Las Vegas, it's very nice and has several recreation centers complete with indoor pools, tennis and pickle-ball courts, paths for walking or bike riding and such. They like it there well enough, but they lived in L.A.(San Gabriel Valley) their entire adult life.

I don't think I would like to live in a 55+ community, but maybe it's because I've had a taste of it. I became disabled when I was 42, and had to move into an apartment complex for disabled folks and seniors. I had a hefty dose of really nasty people who had nothing more to do than spy on their neighbors and gossip. My next door neighbor was racist and would stand out in the hall and make comments so that I could hear them.

There were some good things about the complex, but I was too ill to participate; there were crafting classes, charity drives, etc. At Christmas, carol singers visited. There were laundry facilities in the basement, there were elevators, and garbage was disposed of down a chute so we didn't have to carry it outside. But I couldn't wait to get out of there. I moved to a different building and it got worse. Because I was younger than most of the people there, I had comments about what on earth was I doing living there. If I ever feel that I want to live in an age oriented community, I hope I can find one as lovely as some posters here have described!

I don't think I would like to live in a 55+ community, but maybe it's because I've had a taste of it. I became disabled when I was 42, and had to move into an apartment complex for disabled folks and seniors. I had a hefty dose of really nasty people who had nothing more to do than spy on their neighbors and gossip. My next door neighbor was racist and would stand out in the hall and make comments so that I could hear them.

There were some good things about the complex, but I was too ill to participate; there were crafting classes, charity drives, etc. At Christmas, carol singers visited. There were laundry facilities in the basement, there were elevators, and garbage was disposed of down a chute so we didn't have to carry it outside. But I couldn't wait to get out of there. I moved to a different building and it got worse. Because I was younger than most of the people there, I had comments about what on earth was I doing living there. If I ever feel that I want to live in an age oriented community, I hope I can find one as lovely as some posters here have described!
I hope so too. Sorry you went through such a rough time.

Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm 80, the typical amenities would be desirable but I'm used to the freedom of living in this rural area on a multi-acre property, with the nearest neighbor being at least 150 yards away. I would hate having a homeowner's association dictating every little detail "allowed" on my property.
This sounds like my husband: he keeps saying maybe some day but not yet, not yet; and doing something about it keeps getting pushed into the future so I'm afraid, if he goes first, I (who no longer drive much) will be stuck here in this great big place way out from town & stores, etc., trying to get it sold and get myself into some kind of place more suitable (after the average 2-years on a waiting list that it takes around here, of course). So sometimes, things can be put off too long.

I lived in a home for nine months. I just could not get super thrilled about a 'sing along" with some church group. The people at the home tried, but there was no budget for group events. And, to be blunt, women out live men by about 10+ years. "Senior" facilities, sooner or later turn into "old ladies homes". Where I was, there were about 8 guys and 60 women. I think to remain vibrant and alive, you need people from all stages of life.

I think to remain vibrant and alive, you need people from all stages of life.
I agree with you about that and it's a situation I'd like for myself. Unfortunately, there seem to be more and more things, around here anyway, that fight against that. I was chatting with a realtor who told me that any time she takes prospective buyers who are middle aged or younger to go look at houses, if the prosp. buyer sees even one head of gray or white hair in the neighborhood, they'll frown and ask her, "They're aren't a bunch of old [said disgustedly] people living in this neighborhood, are there? Because I do not want to live somewhere where old people will be constantly griping about how much noise my kids make. Nor do I myself want to have to hear sirens every other day because some old person is having chest pains. So, let's go look at the next house on the list, please." And she said no matter how she tries to tell them how great the house is, they want no part of it; she said this happens all the time.

I think it's sad and that it's better for most people to be living around all ages but seems like more and more people disagree.

And what's even sadder, the realtor also told me that the trend amongst property developers is that you don't build houses or apartments that are convenient in any way for the aged to live in since that brings down the re-sale value since, as she said above, more and more non-old people do not want to be around old people.

You should cross agents like that off your list, and find one who helps you to get what you want.
Uh, I guess you misunderstood my reply. I'm not in the market for a realtor--I wish I were but Huzz refuses to move--and in the 2nd place, as far as I know she seems to be a perfectly fine realtor, rather it's her middle-aged-and-younger clients who are the problem since they seem to be so darn set on living like Peter Pan's "Lost Boys" that they won't even look at a probably perfectly good house. So I'm at a loss as to how that makes her not a good realtor?? :unsure:

Bolivar, you sound angry, and maybe you have had an unusually bad experience. As a long-time resident of a 55-plus community, my reaction on reading your list of nastiness was that it's the exact opposite of my own experience. Maybe this is unfortunately true of some senior communities, but there are probably thousands of such communities by now; how can you generalize about all of them like that?

It's like saying, "How can anyone want to live in a city? There are lots of bad people in cities." Yeah, but...

Bratty kids? We very seldom see kids of any sort around here, and I would put that down as a defect in senior communities. I like kids. Occasionally, on the weekend or holidays, we do see a kid or two, visiting their grandparents. I have never seen a single one acting "bratty."

Here, relatives are not allowed to live with the seniors. That would negate calling it a "senior community." They can come for short visits, that's it. Younger people are usually here for quick visits. I have never heard any visitors make noise of any kind.

Hookers? Drug dealers? You've gotta be kidding. We have a practically nonexistent crime rate. And any hooker hanging around here looking for business would probably starve. 😁

About the bullying (I've never seen it) and general cruelty, I've never seen that either. It might exist here and there, as people are people, and you might find that in any apartment house or gated community, or anyplace else where you get lots of people of any age. I haven't seen any particular "immaturity" either, though some of the oldest people do slide into dementia, and usually end up moving to assisted living, or some other arrangement.

I think your description is ridiculous. And your attitude sounds hostile.
I live in a 62 plus senior community. I am moving as fast as I can - in 2 months- to a mixed community. Some here are gossipy mindless tongue-wagging trolls who have cliques and are good at leaving others out. Some come from unfortunately homeless situations and pay only $200 a month while others pay the going rate close to two thousand. Homeless ones don’t want to rock the boat so if ceiling is leaking, plumbing problems, or mice have taken over, they don’t complain. Some have relatives they call “caregivers” living with them- but are very obviously needing care themselves and they take up the closest parking. The manager has favorites and gives them important community updates to pass word of mouth but if you aren’t out much or not in the clique you may not know until the day of. Two men had a drunken fist fight the other day out in the courtyard. At times grandkids scream and play and purposefully hit our trees with their toys. No activities for seniors at all unless you count the bullying and gossip. This was a lovely place when first opened 4 years ago. Now, it’s filled with all sorts of residents who have little interest in book clubs, knitting, bird watching, healthy conversations other than gossip, etc and their live-in relatives and perhaps not my cup of tea. It’s relatively quiet though much of the time and I will miss that some. Can’t afford the $3500-$5000 places as I imagine they much are nicer.

I lived in a 55+ community in Arizona and loved it, and now I'm in another one in Florida, and it is also great. I'm 75ish and like the peace and quiet. Both are gated communities, and the home prices keep out the true bottom feeders. Both have very active HOAs which I like. The AZ one had a few more amenities, but I was there over 2 years and never used the pool or played the golf course. I hope I can stay here for at least 5 more years, then move to whatever is next.

Different strokes for different folks..

My wonderful young man neighbor sold his co-op. I met one of the new people yesterday, the wife. She was with her 1 year old twins and told me she had another little one as well. They will be moving in in a few weeks.

I was positively thrilled that a young family is moving opposite and let her know how happy I was that young children will be my neighbors. I love little kids and would hate living only with a bunch of old farts.

kat, when I owned the house, I swear it was more noisy than this apartment. Basketball playing, kids, but that wasn't the worst of it. The jerk to the side of me on every half baked holiday put his stereo outside and blasted it from 10am to 10pm. The guy behind me played his stereo outside also and had a very loud surround sound TV. That place was a nightmare for me. I should have never stayed 7 years.

Oh and then the punk kid in the house that backed to my front yard got a drum set.
And you really wished he'd beat it.

Boiver, your question implies that all 55+ communities are the same. As there are thousands of such communities all over the world, surely you realize that none of your bad experiences apply to all of them.

Some people, like April, have had an unfortunate experience. Others find life to be pretty enjoyable, safe, and friendly. I guess it's the luck of the draw.

I think one point that has been left out in this discussion is the fact that a 55+ community is not a prison. Living there doesn't mean you are trapped there. Don't like the group activities that are offered? Find others in the larger community around you. If you have a car and can drive, or have some other means of transportation, you have the same access to games, sports, classes, performances, etc. as anybody else does.

And for those who don't have easy access to travel, these communities offer lots of activities and people right at your doorstep.

Also, nasty neighbors can turn up no matter where you live. That has nothing to do with being 55+.

I'm happy with the neighborhood we live in presently; it's a good mixture of retired and younger folks. I wouldn't mind, however, living in a 55+ community with lots of activities.

We spent six summers in a 55+ RV park in the Blue Ridge of North Carolina and I loved it. Lots of social activities and interesting people our age from all over. It was enjoyable being around people who, when asked, "Do you remember when we used to ___________?" and not be greeted with a blank stare.

I enjoyed the pool. There were grandkids visiting (mine too) but kids were supervised and not out of control.

Back