Will Be Done With Citibank Banking

When I was working our company accounts were with Bank of America. I had nothing but trouble with them and if it had been my decision to make I would have changed banks in a heartbeat. TERRIBLE customer service!
What I thought was strange was Bank of America had cash promos only for existing customers who were targeted either via mailer or e-mail.....they had nothing to offer us .

Citi bank was only for new money not existing customers..so we qualified for almost 1100 bucks

I'm am so annoyed right now. I've never had problems with my Citibank credit card account so rarely have to call. But trying to get through to a real person regarding the checking and savings accounts I opened in November is a pain in the a*s.

Citi closed the checking because I only funded the savings (it was a package deal so I had to open a checking). They took it upon themselves to change my paperless setting on both accounts due to the closing of the one. I do not want statements mailed to my home. I changed it back but I hope they don't pull a fast one and not pay the extra $25 for choosing the paperless setting.

Once my bonus offer ($425) is deposited into my account and the obligatory 90 days has passed, I'm moving my savings back to Chase. At least if I have an issue, Chase has branches that are easily accessible. Citibanks are on the highway and I don't drive anymore. Plus after reading reviews for the two branches closest to my town, I gather their in person customer service is terrible too. Sorry...just venting and maybe saving someone else from that torture. 😖

I've been with Chase for years and they're pretty good. However, I just got a letter from them yesterday.....they're closing the branch that's very close to me. Rats. Good thing I don't go to the bank often, because the nearest one now will be pretty far away.

I've been with Chase for years and they're pretty good. However, I just got a letter from them yesterday.....they're closing the branch that's very close to me. Rats. Good thing I don't go to the bank often, because the nearest one now will be pretty far away.
I like chase ,but as an existing private client account they had no promos to offer us on new money

I have been using a credit union for my banking needs since the 1980s. Why are you still messing around with commercial banks, and their fees, crummy rates, and poor service? I haven't step foot in a "bank" in decades,. Why do you need to go to a bank, when I can be online with my credit union in 10 seconds.
Because credit unions don’t pay me 1100 bucks to baby sit some money for 5 months ...there are lots of issues with credit unions too .....things like credit cards and auto loans can creat big trouble for unsuspecting borrowers at credit unions ...most banks do not do cross collateralization but almost all credit unions do..

we get no fees ,great service and quite a few perks from chase as a private access client ...all they do is baby sit my etf fund for free and I get that status and the perks

the cross collateralization used by many credit unions can be quite a shocker to those who don't read or understand the differences between a bank and a credit union.

When you take out a loan to buy a large item, such as a car, you give the lender a security interest in the item. This means that if you don't make your loan payments, the lender can take the item and sell it to satisfy the debt.
When you borrow money from a credit union to buy something, the loan agreement usually contains a clause that says that not only is the property collateral for the loan you're obtaining to buy it, but it will also be collateral for any other loans you take out through the credit union. That includes credit cards and personal loans.
you buy a car by taking out a loan from your credit union. The loan agreement for your car loan contains a cross-collateralization clause. you later open a credit card account with that credit union and uses it to pay for some vacations. After three years, you pay off your car loan, but you still have a balance due on your credit card.
you lose your job and stop making your credit card payments. The credit union can repossess your car and sell it to pay the credit card debt.

Well that's too bad Jujube...certainly inconvenient. You don't do online banking?

I have been using a credit union for my banking needs since the 1980s. Why are you still messing around with commercial banks, and their fees, crummy rates, and poor service? I haven't step foot in a "bank" in decades,. Why do you need to go to a bank, when I can be online with my credit union in 10 seconds.
I've had a credit union account for years now and I can attest to the fact that they don't have as many convenient features (even with their online banking) that Chase has. I've been able to get personal service at one of Chase's branches (not the one closest to me) because my husband and I got to know one of the reps. Whenever we needed something special done, she helped us. It's a good thing I'm now comfortable banking online because the credit union closed the branch within walking distance to me and I'm not crazy about using the closest Chase branch.

credit unions have limited access too when traveling or have issues .. we can stop in to a chase location anywhere in the country .

when we went to cuba we learned from our bank there was a 12% tax on dollars by the cuban gov't ,plus a conversion fee in cuba .. so they got us euro's and there was no tax in cuba , we just picked them up at a local branch .

i have never had use for a credit union ever . by the way , the reason credit unions tend to pay more interest or have less in fees for small accounts is credit unions pay no income taxes unlike banks .. they skirt under the wire as non profits ,,, yeah right !

i have never paid any bank fees at all except for a safe deposit box since the free one is to small .

we get thousands of dollars in perks from banks between promos on accounts and points on their credit cards .

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether to post this or not. I'm out of my league here but everyone knows your names, where and when you were born, where you live, what you do or did, if your married or not, On some posts, pictures of your boat or chopped collector pick-up truck, whether you invest in gold or stocks, travel, and now, where you bank. Identity theft is so rampant today, I'm not sure it's safe giving out so much public information about yourself. Maybe I'm out of line but please be careful!

I'm not sure whether to post this or not. I'm out of my league here but everyone knows your names, where and when you were born, where you live, what you do or did, if your married or not, On some posts, pictures of your boat or chopped collector pick-up truck, whether you invest in gold or stocks, travel, and now, where you bank. Identity theft is so rampant today, I'm not sure it's safe giving out so much public information about yourself. Maybe I'm out of line but please be careful!
This is not where identity theft comes from .....

In fact I was featured in money magazine and all our finances were displayed for millions ..then the article spent a decade on both cnn and Morningstar where many millions more read it ...it had names and our financial stats .....not so much as a charity call ...

These kinds of posts have nothing in them that causes I’d theft

I too having trouble with TD they moved further away too cold to walk it. Taxis only.

I had it all setup in a row now TD merges with larger bank only two streets away yet too blustery to try. Then phone also runs away. In case I had to go in which is less now my service is gone south due to phone faulty. Let license expire. No car.
The point of being married having a utility manager in case.

i noticed not only did we get 1100 dollars from city bank for opening the account but we also got 1.20% compounded on the savings account as well . they don't usually give you interest when you get the big bonus dollars but citi is .

they are not giving interest on the smaller accounts though ... my wife's 15k did not get interest , just the bonus dollars .

I'm am so annoyed right now. I've never had problems with my Citibank credit card account so rarely have to call. But trying to get through to a real person regarding the checking and savings accounts I opened in November is a pain in the a*s.

Citi closed the checking because I only funded the savings (it was a package deal so I had to open a checking). They took it upon themselves to change my paperless setting on both accounts due to the closing of the one. I do not want statements mailed to my home. I changed it back but I hope they don't pull a fast one and not pay the extra $25 for choosing the paperless setting.

Once my bonus offer ($425) is deposited into my account and the obligatory 90 days has passed, I'm moving my savings back to Chase. At least if I have an issue, Chase has branches that are easily accessible. Citibanks are on the highway and I don't drive anymore. Plus after reading reviews for the two branches closest to my town, I gather their in person customer service is terrible too. Sorry...just venting and maybe saving someone else from that torture. 😖
My bank is 70 miles from me. I moved to another county 3 yrs ago and I still haven't picked a bank here. I'm not entirely sure why. I have many benefits with my bank for being a long time customer. Not sure if that's why or I'm just not prepared to call this place home. I hate that companies make themselves so inaccessible after they sell us their wares.

My bank is 70 miles from me. I moved to another county 3 yrs ago and I still haven't picked a bank here. I'm not entirely sure why. I have many benefits with my bank for being a long time customer. Not sure if that's why or I'm just not prepared to call this place home. I hate that companies make themselves so inaccessible after they sell us their wares.

I think that in today's environment there's no real need to have a bank near you. Most of my stuff is in a bank way down in Texas. It's been there for around 40 years and I've never set foot in that bank. I can do anything I want to do online, deposit checks (I rarely get one anymore). Over the years, I've financed cars, borrowed money, gotten a line of credit against my home, etc., and I've never even seen the place.

I think that in today's environment there's no real need to have a bank near you. Most of my stuff is in a bank way down in Texas. It's been there for around 40 years and I've never set foot in that bank. I can do anything I want to do online, deposit checks (I rarely get one anymore). Over the years, I've financed cars, borrowed money, gotten a line of credit against my home, etc., and I've never even seen the place.

actually i say the opposite . living in nyc , if anything 9-11 and sandy taught us how important it is to have both cash at home and a bank close by . both showed us how fragile the atm network is and it can go down in a heartbeat and you are cut off from your money .

also fraud , either attempted or actual can get on line accounts closed without warning ...

we have 90% of our assets at fidelity ...fidelity has its own hackers who work for them and check the dark webb for fidelity accounts . sure enough they found my wife's info on it ...

they closed the accounts down instantly . it took 10 days to re-establish all new accounts and get cards and checks . it was nice being able to just deal with a local bank in the interim .

All of this sounds so foreign to me. The only thing I have with a bank is my credit card, and that is only because Florida State Credit Union sells off their credit cards to Chase (or used to) once you are finished with grad school. Otherwise, I always deal with credit unions and have never had any problems.

However, I can vouch for Chase in terms of my credit card, though. They are top notch at handling any kind of discrepancy in your account and letting you know immediately if purchases seem "out of character" for you. When my wallet was stolen from my office years ago when my secretary left it unlocked while I was in class, Chase called me immediately and I was able to cancel the account and did not get charged for the one purchase made on my account. All it took was one purchase that didn't match my profile and an attempt to buy gas (which I NEVER do on credit cards) and they put a hold on the card and called me.

My bank was bought out by Mechanics Bank, which I had never heard of. I've got to read the paperwork this week end and figure out what changes are being made and if my bank account number will change etc. I guess it's not the biggest problem in the world but I didn't need something else to add to the list of things I have to take care of!

actually i say the opposite . living in nyc , if anything 9-11 and sandy taught us how important it is to have both cash at home and a bank close by . both showed us how fragile the atm network is and it can go down in a heartbeat and you are cut off from your money .
You're right MJ. We were affected by Sandy too. Even though I do most of my banking online, like you Butterfly, I realize that in the event of a mass cyber attack or extreme solar flare...ATMs and online access will be lost. And I am close to both my banks.

Butterfly, my experiences with Chase credit cards have been very good as well. The first credit card I got when I was in my early 20's was from Chase. Only had revolving credit at a local store so I was surprised when I got it.

OMG...I thought I was done with them. I transferred all my money out of the savings account after I got my bonus. The checking had already been closed by them due to inactivity. They were supposed to close the savings account but they did not. I got a statement in the mail (which I was not supposed to unless the account was closed) showing a fee of $25. Knowing that trying to get through to a human would be pointless, I did a chat during which I was assured the account would be closed and the fee credited (waived). The rep apologized and said it was taking longer due to CV-19 and less staff.
Then I got another statement with an added $34...penalty and maintenance fee. I started another chat, armed with the prior chat date and rep's name that I had saved via a screen shot. But I found out that the prior chat showed when I opened the new chat. Anyway, finally it was taken care of properly. I verified today that the charges are gone and the account was closed.

Back