Will you ever fly again?

Sunny

SF VIP
Until we have a very effective vaccine, there is no way most people will get on a plane now, not for anything that is optional. Planes have long been known as "petri dishes" for germs, and it's very commonplace for people to get colds, digestive illnesses, the flu, etc. from other people on a flight. It's happened to me and my family, and I suspect to pretty much everyone else.

So how many of us will be willing to take a chance and get ourselves sealed into an aluminum tube with several hundred strangers, many of them coughing and sneezing, with no idea of who is carrying this virus? Will masks be enough to make us feel safe?

Horrifying thought, to me, anyway. My family is pretty scattered all over the country, with only a few of them within easy driving distance. So, outside of Zoom, will I ever see any of them again?

Ever is (hopefully) a very long time.

I can't see myself getting on a plane for at least the next year.

Eventually this crisis will pass because of a safe vaccine, effective treatment, herd immunity, evolution of the virus into a less lethal form, or some combination of the these. At that point, I will be comfortable flying again, though perhaps with a mask.

I’m flying to Florida next Sunday. Staying for a week or so and flying back. Take some precautions and don’t live in fear. I’m not going to hide in my basement like so many others, reducing their immune system to next to nothing. I’ve been outside here in Ohio as much as the weather has permitted. Playing tennis, taking walks. Fresh air, ultraviolet light, natural vitamin d.

If I get it, which is a very slim chance, Ill still have a 97% chance of survival. I have a much greater chance of dying from so many other things. I take the CV19 seriously but I also have common sense.

My brother and his wife are only in their early 50’s. Great health. Haven’t gone outside their front door in 7 weeks. They live like it’s doomsday every day. Get a grip.

I don't relish the idea of flying now since this pandemic has hit, or mixing with the crowds when I get to my destination abroad , either... all scary, but I do have to travel by plane, because my daughter is overseas... and I have a 2nd home abroad, so I will have to go, but for the first time in decades, we will not be going THIS year

I used to fly on a routine basis for work and haven't flown since I stopped working in 2005.

tenor.gif

I doubt that I will have a need to fly but if I do I will.

It's been ages since flying was anything but a chore. But I'd like to take my SO to Europe and to Hawaii in a couple of years, so if we are physically able, away we go. Wild blue yonder, and all that.

I’m flying to Florida next Sunday. Staying for a week or so and flying back. Take some precautions and don’t live in fear. I’m not going to hide in my basement like so many others, reducing their immune system to next to nothing. I’ve been outside here in Ohio as much as the weather has permitted. Playing tennis, taking walks. Fresh air, ultraviolet light, natural vitamin d.

If I get it, which is a very slim chance, Ill still have a 97% chance of survival. I have a much greater chance of dying from so many other things. I take the CV19 seriously but I also have common sense.

My brother and his wife are only in their early 50’s. Great health. Haven’t gone outside their front door in 7 weeks. They live like it’s doomsday every day. Get a grip.
We flew all over the world for many years. Personally when the seats got "scrunched together" and even in what passed for first class was a joke we were so happy we'd flown when times were good...now we don't have to anymore and really enjoy that option. Living in fear isn't what its about "value received" is what counts now for us...lol.

We decided a year ago that our flying days are over. Not worth the hassle.

Our kids and grandkids will still fly to come see us (check on the old folks).

The trouble is, we don't know if there is any such thing as immunity against this disease. No one seems to be sure whether having had it, or having testing positive, gives a person any future immunity.

And if that's the case, how would a vaccine work?

Sigh. If they can put out a different vaccine every year for whatever flu strains they see are a problem, why do you think this is different? Sunny, you strike me as the glass is half empty kind of person. Me? The glass is half full, and the waiter has a pitcher just waiting to fill me up. The first couple of years I was teaching, I caught every bug that came down the pike. And then I didn't. Did I get sick a time or two? Yes. But nothing serious. I caught something a couple years ago that was unpleasant for about a week. I recovered. Even with the corona virus, your odds are pretty good. But go on, spread the doom and gloom. I don't much enjoy gloom and doom, myself.

I'm reasonably sure I will although when and where are big unknowns now. We're supposed to fly to Hawaii next March with our son, his wife and our grandson (who was born this March) because they want to celebrate his first birthday in Hawaii because it's a big event in my son's wife's family.

There are lots of places I still want to go where it isn't practical to get there any other way than flying so once I'm comfortable with the risks of flying I probably will do so to get to where I want to go.

I'm concerned however that flying will become much more expensive in the future and I might not be able to travel as much as I have in the past even though that isn't a lot in my mind.

Sigh. If they can put out a different vaccine every year for whatever flu strains they see are a problem, why do you think this is different? Sunny, you strike me as the glass is half empty kind of person. Me? The glass is half full, and the waiter has a pitcher just waiting to fill me up. The first couple of years I was teaching, I caught every bug that came down the pike. And then I didn't. Did I get sick a time or two? Yes. But nothing serious. I caught something a couple years ago that was unpleasant for about a week. I recovered. Even with the corona virus, your odds are pretty good. But go on, spread the doom and gloom. I don't much enjoy gloom and doom, myself.
Aw....you're no fun at all. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Haven't flown for about ten years. Have to trust the equipment, the flight crew, your fellow passengers, the ground crew. I trust none of the preceding, ergo no more flying, for me.

Yeah, add in the always sickening smell of cabin air, now possibly featuring deadly diseases, and it's probably never happening for me, ever again.

I really like driving, and I flew all over the place in my younger days, so no big deal.

I've only flown once. Decided after that I didn't need to get back on a plane. So, this won't affect my flying habits.

Unless I can figure out how to use my broom...*looks toward the kitchen*

Geez, I hope so. They're gonna get a vaccine for this s**t, sooner or later. And I'm guessing that folks will be so sick of sheltering at home that they go out, and soon a herd immunity will develop. I just hope it's safe to fly soon.
It probably depends on your living quarters at present and your chosen lifestyle. If you have a lot of space at home, and enjoy your daily lifestyle there, as we do and many others we know, then you probably won't care to travel by air unless you're forced to.
Actually the current demands have made very little difference to us - other than wanting to see other family and friends, of course. Guessing road trips will be popular.

Absolutely. Take away the bad experiences of going through the airport, I really enjoy flying. It really amazes me how something so heavy and so big can fly. Those things weigh tons.

Back