• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Collywobbles

Ruthanne

SF VIP
stomach pain or queasiness.
"an attack of collywobbles"
  • intense anxiety or nervousness, especially with stomach queasiness.
    "such organizations give him the collywobbles"

I have battled the collywobbles all though my life, sometimes related to the most simplistic as things, mind you, I have struggled with anxiety my entire life.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you have had to struggle with collywobbles. I do know what that's like as I have panic attacks at times. No fun at all are they!
Me, too, Ruthanne, I remember enduring panic attacks over walking to school as a kid, and for no reason. Even to this day I experience panic attacks leading up to leaving the house to go shopping. Crazy, makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Me, too, Ruthanne, I remember enduring panic attacks over walking to school as a kid, and for no reason. Even to this day I experience panic attacks leading up to leaving the house to go shopping. Crazy, makes no sense whatsoever to me.
I know how disconcerting they can be and yes they do last long for me too. I also get them when I'm going to meet someone new. Oh, collywobbles, please end.

I have battled the collywobbles all though my life, sometimes related to the most simplistic as things, mind you, I have struggled with anxiety my entire life.
So sorry @Aunt Marg but understand. 🤗 I have suffered anxiety all my life. Haven't been out for a long time but when I do I have to 'gear' myself up to do it. Visits to the 'facilities' before I go out are numerous because of my anxiety. 🚾

Words that sound like and describe what your feeling are ONOMATOPOEIAS
(I knew it existed, but it took me over ten minutes to find it on Goggle)
So Collwobbles, describes a jumping, straining, upset stomach sending signals
'something isn't right.'
It is a onomatopoeia, that is a dumb word, don't you think, do we really need it?

Like Word of the Day...
I would like to add a word that is useless, I doubt any of us have ever used it, nor can we define it.
If we can't use it, what in the world is the word for:

INCAPACITATION-removing people from the community (criminals)..

We need a thread for words that make us sound smarter than we are, but are totally
useless. If people cannot define the word, what is it for?
I've spent 25 years in and around criminals, been in a lot of prisons and jails-
I have never heard Incapacitation spoken, nor written. What is it for?

Like Word of the Day...
I would like to add a word that is useless, I doubt any of us have ever used it, nor can we define it.
If we can't use it, what in the world is the word for:

INCAPACITATION-removing people from the community (criminals)..

We need a thread for words that make us sound smarter than we are, but are totally
useless. If people cannot define the word, what is it for?
I've spent 25 years in and around criminals, been in a lot of prisons and jails-
I have never heard Incapacitation spoken, nor written. What is it for?
I must say, Jerry, your post has incapacitated me! :giggle:

Words that sound like and describe what your feeling are ONOMATOPOEIAS
(I knew it existed, but it took me over ten minutes to find it on Goggle)
So Collwobbles, describes a jumping, straining, upset stomach sending signals
'something isn't right.'
It is a onomatopoeia, that is a dumb word, don't you think, do we really need it?
As far as I'm concerned, I think we need all of the dumb, complicated, and unknown words that we can conjure-up and spit out! :p

That is what keeps me here! :)

Back