Words that are Seldom Used Today!

Some years ago I worked in a convenience store, I caught a little boy of about 12 trying to steal something. My very young boss asked what had happened. I told her I caught the kid trying to filch something, whereupon she asked what filch meant.

Did you ever hear the word: "Blowse?" Not to be confused with the garment: "Blouse." If you’re constantly running out of the house with your hair all askew, leaving your phone forgotten on the kitchen table, and forgetting your keys, you might be a blowse. In Ye Olde England a blowse actually referred almost solely to an unkempt woman, but I think in our modern times we can apply it to almost anyone!

pine - to feel very sad because one wants (something) or because one is not with (someone).
LeatherPostcardFront.jpg

Did you ever hear the word: "Blowse?" Not to be confused with the garment: "Blouse." If you’re constantly running out of the house with your hair all askew, leaving your phone forgotten on the kitchen table, and forgetting your keys, you might be a blowse. In Ye Olde England a blowse actually referred almost solely to an unkempt woman, but I think in our modern times we can apply it to almost anyone!
I have used blowsey when describing a certain type of woman.

It seems to me that I am very very old fashioned in my speech.

Some think that blowse and brass are similar. It's probably more regional to London, an old brass was a vulgar expression to describe a woman of loose morals. Blowsey is more of a scatterbrain.

Back