Would you ever consider retiring in the city/town/hamlet of your birth?

davey

Just been doing a search and look at the city of my birth and it's lookin pretty cool atm and getting good ratings nationally. Which set me wondering - if I had a lottery win or sufficiently good savings - would I ever want to go back and have one last 'pitch' at living in the city of my birth? Ever crossed your mind in respect to your dreams? what are your thoughts? not saying much else until you've had your pitch??

Ah that would be interesting - going back with no memories - you may fall in love in France?

Ah that would be interesting - going back with no memories - you may fall in love in France?
I could see that happening but the cost of living there is ridiculous, even with a lottery win. I think I would just stay here and put the money aside for the kid. You can't miss something you never had.

The son I had is still missed everyday!! He is now grown, married, with a family. He lives in the area but as we all know young adults these days have to work hard and long hours to be able to be financially secure.

I grew up in Cupertino. Ca. The home now of Apple, and other tech industries. It has 12 square miles. In 1965 the population was about 10,000. The population in 2014 was about 67,000! It was a medium sized suburb when I grew up...you could play sports out in the street. Now it has so many people and congestion that I wouldn't move back there for a million bucks. Hmmmmmmm...well maybe. :)

images

No. I was born in northern New Jersey & moved away when I was age 3. We could not afford it now and its way too crowded. After moving around all our adult lives, mainly for work, we finally got to chose our own destination. Love it here - we'll stay put.

Would you ever consider retiring in the city/town/hamlet of your birth?​

Not where I was born
But where I was raised
'Hamlet' sounds right
Up in the Chapmen hills 'tween Vernonia and Scappoose OR
Waaay off the beaten path
Great trout/steelhead streams
Mountain air
Big game
Huge Doug fir trees

You bet

I'd be there now, but my lady can't go all the rain

In 2021 when we sold our house in AZ and decided to leave and come back to an area we felt more at home in, we considered moving to my hometown in Michigan. I've been homesick for quite a while (I left in 1975) but I knew the town had changed a lot and I felt I would be disappointed that it wasn't the same as when I grew up there so we scratched that off the list.

Sometimes I think it would be a great location. I don’t have warm memories of people or family there; it’s more about the city itself. It’s been ten years since I last visited and it was still pleasant.

Back