XFL Football League to start in January 2020

JustBonee

SF VIP
Ready for some more football? ... and will it last this time? ...

The new football league starts play on Feb. 8 and teams will continue their preparation in Houston. Teams will start with training camp in their respective cities in December before coming to Houston in January for a combined camp at area stadiums.
XFL Training Camp sites in Houston are as follows:
Houston Roughnecks - TDECU Stadium
Dallas Renegades - Tully Stadium
DC Defenders - Rice Stadium
Los Angeles Wildcats - Durley Stadium
New York Guardians - Husky Stadium
St. Louis Battlehawks - Thorne Stadium
Seattle Dragons - Delmar Stadium
Tampa Bay Vipers - Turner Stadium
The XFL league played one season back in 2001 and was known for its intense style, colorful personalities and big-time backer, pro wrestling mogul Vince McMahon. The football league is promising to bring the 'fun' back to football and put "fans above all."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...-for-8-teams-in-houston/ar-BBX0kAR?li=BBnba9O

Thanks for this topic, Bonnie. :)

Who does come up with those team names?! :LOL:

I wonder what tv stations they will be on?

If Vince McMahon is involved, this new league will probably be a "farce". He has managed to turn his wrestling empire...WWE...into little more than endless commercials, and matches that almost seem more like violent Soap Operas, than real wrestling competition.

I don't see this league lasting very long if they don't offer it on free tv with the major networks like the NFL does on Sundays. Exposure is one of the major aspects of making a new product viable and the last attempt at this last year went under quickly because of limited access on the major networks. I will be watching the experiment though since I am not a big basketball fan and not much else after college football and NFL are over come February.

I don't see this league lasting very long if they don't offer it on free tv with the major networks like the NFL does on Sundays. Exposure is one of the major aspects of making a new product viable and the last attempt at this last year went under quickly because of limited access on the major networks. I will be watching the experiment though since I am not a big basketball fan and not much else after college football and NFL are over come February.

I remember watching the XFL games before on antenna TV. I didn't have cable and still don't.

I hope they show them again -- it was great fun watching IMO. Different than NFL games.

Anybody got an update on this? (Too lazy to Google :( )

It could be interesting. Fans are looking for an affordable outlet like football. If they have good talent playing, bring back some of the rules that have been either changed or done away with and allow the officials to call the game as they see it, mistakes and all, it may have a chance.

Main thing will be to have quality players at affordable prices.

I noticed that they will be having lots of different tweaks and innovations on the rules. It might be interesting to see how that goes.
Only one foot inbounds needed for a catch, like college for that one rule. Catches perhaps easier to define that way, and easier to make, but still need some skill.

No coach challenges; all reviews just by officials.
Lots of guidelines aimed at making more and quicker action, with less waiting times for viewers promised.

Three Different options the team chooses, for the extra points, (no extra point kick)
that each option will count for different # of points, depending on which yard line they choose to start on....
and a totally different way to settle game ties.... each side gets 5 tries to score....

I haven't seen what networks they would be available to be seen on.
I would at least check it out, if available to me.

If MaMahon is running the show, will there be wrestling at half time?
You know there will be a lot of bells and whistles, lot of fights o field and other nonsense, entertainment-will watch a bit see if it can be tolerated.,

If MaMahon is running the show, will there be wrestling at half time?
You know there will be a lot of bells and whistles, lot of fights o field and other nonsense, entertainment-will watch a bit see if it can be tolerated.,

LOL, have no idea, haven't dug into it that far.

All I know is remembering the fast, fun games from 20 years ago -- or whenever it was.

We shall see.

I agree with all of you...it's difficult to find interest in these sorts of games...

they seem to be even more meaningless than the regular ones ;)
with less athletic skill... and the teams, have no history or fan following, or are not from our region...

the players are even less from our regions than the players on the regular teams.. lol

I will try to watch them, but no guarantee I will make it through one game or 1 weekend of it.

Thanks for posting the link for the schedule and for the stations, OldD.

All I know is remembering the fast, fun games from 20 years ago -- or whenever it was.

When was that, OldD?
I think maybe longer than 20 yrs ago? ;)

All I remember, myself at the moment, is that it was fun (for some of us) to watch when Tom Brady regularly threw 70 yards or so (memory is hazy, was it 80? It seemed like it at the time...)
anyway, the perfect spiral going directly to a waiting Randy Moss (how did he get down there while TB was still in the pocket?)
Randy, who was standing, lanky and tall (IF he felt like it) Right on the goal line.

I cant remember longer back than that,:unsure: which is probably when others here do think back on it.

with less athletic skill...
speaking of this...I saw that former NFL Wide Receiver, Chad Johnson (who some years went by Chad Ochocinco)
Is trying out to be a KICKER, for this league. :oops::rolleyes:

This should be fake sports news, Jerry, but it's not.

I agree with all of you...it's difficult to find interest in these sorts of games...

they seem to be even more meaningless than the regular ones ;)
with less athletic skill... and the teams, have no history or fan following, or are not from our region...

the players are even less from our regions than the players on the regular teams.. lol

I will try to watch them, but no guarantee I will make it through one game or 1 weekend of it.

Thanks for posting the link for the schedule and for the stations, OldD.

Glad to see you back! :cool:

Yes, the problem with the old (and new) XFL is total unfamiliarity with any of the teams or players. I guess I used to watch them because I was still winding down from the NFL season and it was still cold out, so not much else to do.

I will (probably) watch the first several games anyway. But if my sis texts me for dinner, I'll go!

When was that, OldD?
I think maybe longer than 20 yrs ago? ;)

All I remember, myself at the moment, is that it was fun (for some of us) to watch when Tom Brady regularly threw 70 yards or so (memory is hazy, was it 80? It seemed like it at the time...)
anyway, the perfect spiral going directly to a waiting Randy Moss (how did he get down there while TB was still in the pocket?)
Randy, who was standing, lanky and tall (IF he felt like it) Right on the goal line.

I cant remember longer back than that,:unsure: which is probably when others here do think back on it.

Mahomes is the new Brady. ;)

The quarterback for the NY team is a local guy who played for Penn Sate, so I intend to keep tabs on his performance. That might be part of the draw; to follow players you have an interest in.

XFL_2020_TV_Schedule_120419.jpeg

Back